U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 05:40 PM

11 posts, read 18,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggykernan View Post
Hi there,

I am a real estate broker in Oregon. I specialize in acreage/horse properties but I read your post. I think a college town might be great for you. Corvallis (Oregon State Beavers) might be a great location and is only a short distance to visit the coast. The Willamette Valley is the perfect spot. If you like to ski or snowboard, it is a short distance but the coast is only an hour away also. If you are into the outdoors, Oregon is perfect.
hi there. thx for the post. I did notice corvallis. seems like it might be a good half way point between cities (eugene and salem) and the coast.
would you have any info on rentals out there? ill start with craigslist on my own, but i do appreciate some outside in put. also do you know much about the local economy? as far as jobs go would corvallis be better or worse then other spots in OR?

Silver, i dont think i would mind the winters after doing some research and getting your perspective. I lived in Burlington VT for a few years and the winters are very grey there also (with more snow though) . As long as there is plenty of things to do outdoors i dont mind grey or wet. Plus summers are great in OR arent they?

thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 12:32 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,984,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
If you are willing to do 15,000 then Coos Bay would be the only town on the coast.
Not quite - isn't Astoria about that size? It's an up-and-coming town from what I've heard; lots of new people and activity.

If you weren't so intent on being near the coast, I'd suggest Hood River.

The western suburbs of Portland are fairly typical suburbs. Forest Grove is a college town (Pacific University); Cornelius has a substantial Mexican population, as does Hillsboro, which is also the county seat and the western terminus of the Portland light-rail system.

Portland and the rest of the Willamette Valley don't get as cold in winter or as hot in summer as Chicago does.

When you say you have experience in "sales", do you mean working in a store, or as a corporate sales rep? My employer is always looking for people to sell payroll and HR services.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:51 PM

Hi Rob, I think ideally i would like to be at least 1 hour from the coast. but the closer the better.

i have been in the financial services biz for four years. i have made the MDRT 3 out of the four years. I cold probably sell HR services quite easily considering half of my biz is corporate benefits (group health /ltd / dental / 401k/ DB plans etc)

in your opinion is there a good (growing) market for those types of sales opportunities in Oregon?

thx!

Old 11-07-2008, 04:36 PM

15 posts, read 26,618 times
Hey I just wanted to send thanks to you all for going back and forth on where to move in oregon. I couldn't believe I stumbled on it-I, like UVBEAR needed some help with the big move to Oregon. My boyfriend and I are on our way from Michigan, and fit UVBEAR's criteria/likes and wants,so it worked out perfect!!!
We'll be there a year from now!! Probably in the Eugene area!
Give us a shoot Chicago!

Old 11-07-2008, 06:39 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,984,335 times
uvbears, you may be exactly what we're looking for. Go to www.adp.com, click on 'Careers', then, under the 'US job search' heading, click on 'sales positions' - this will bring up a list of all the openings in the US. Click on 'New Search', narrow the criteria to country 'United States' and state 'Oregon', scroll down and click 'Search', and you should get five job openings (of course it could change from day to day). Our offices are all in the Portland area but it doesn't say where the sales territories actually are.

You can apply online, and if you have any questions, feel free to send me a Direct Message, email, or post here.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:17 PM

10,682 posts, read 17,019,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Not quite - isn't Astoria about that size? It's an up-and-coming town from what I've heard; lots of new people and activity.

If you weren't so intent on being near the coast, I'd suggest Hood River.

The western suburbs of Portland are fairly typical suburbs. Forest Grove is a college town (Pacific University); Cornelius has a substantial Mexican population, as does Hillsboro, which is also the county seat and the western terminus of the Portland light-rail system.

Portland and the rest of the Willamette Valley don't get as cold in winter or as hot in summer as Chicago does.

When you say you have experience in "sales", do you mean working in a store, or as a corporate sales rep? My employer is always looking for people to sell payroll and HR services.
I think Astoria is around 10k or so. It may have grown some more though.

UV, our summers are fabulous. No humidity!

Old 11-12-2008, 12:29 PM

162 posts, read 320,706 times
I lived in Chicago for 8 years. I would estimate Portland is about 1/4th or 1/5th the size of Chicago. If you came to Portland it would feel like a small town for you. However, Portland has just enough resources for those used to the big city life, and you have the benefit of some of the countrys most beautiful scenery right in your backyard. Why don't you take a week and come out and visit all these cities people are recommending? You could do a couple of days in Portland, Bend, Eugene, Hood river. All of these places are 1-2.5 hours from each other, 3 at most, so it would not be difficult. Come in January or Febuary so you can get a real feel for what the weather is like alot of the time in parts of Oregon.

I think if you believe you find a job, you'll find one. A good attitude goes a long way in finding a job, this I know from experience. Summers are paradise in Oregon. You could spend an entire lifetime exploring the state and still not have seen everything.

However, be prepared to read alot of discouraging posts from people living in western Oregon inparticular, who dislike it because of the weather. That can really scare some people off, but try your best not to be influenced by it.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:07 AM

2 posts, read 6,688 times
Default Corvallis

Corvallis is the place for you! It is easier and faster to get to the coast (Newport) from Corvallis than Eugene or Portland. Corvallis has alot of young people, a great music scene, farmers market, fantastic restaurants, and co-op. Country Home magazine named Corvallis as the #1 green town in America, and it is not to big, and not to little. I lived in Corvallis for 40+ years so know it well.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:32 PM

Great! thx for all the help. I would def need to come out to oregon before i make any deiscions. I go through spurts where i think i want move. I am not sure if i ever will but oregon seems intriguing to say the least.
corvalis or Eugene i think would be the first 2 places i would want to check out.

thx for everyones responses

Old 11-15-2008, 04:31 PM

7 posts, read 10,404 times
Don't worry about not living right on the coast. It is a BEAUTIFUL drive to get there! Very relaxing and enjoyable just driving there. Also, the weather on the coast is always much more rainy and cloudy than inland in the metro Portland area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon