Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 02:38 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times

Advertisements

[quote=suejulene;27307345]... ... I am just hopeful that I would be able to get a job out there either in Portland or Vancouver. ... ...quote]

Sorry Suejulene, but in all honesty it is just not likely to happen. Of course you could be the one in a thousand exception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 828 times
Default Teacher Graduate Programs in Oregon

It is interesting to hear the comments about teaching in Oregon.... I CAN comment about CENTRAL OREGON, as I not only raised my own children here in the Bend/Lapine School District, but I also taught in this area, and volunteer coached, and I am currently working at OSU-Cascades in the Master of Arts in Teaching Programs. Having said all of that, I would say that my experiences within this educational system in this region have been great!! What better place to raise my childeren, work, and support other educators going out into the field of education!
This University here, OSU-Cascades has an amazing GRADUATE PROGRAM for anyone interested in EDUCATION! Check out our MAT Programs! We have over 80% of our students getting jobs when they graduate!

Why wouldn't you want to move to BEND OREGON and learn to teach from an NCATE, quality program??!! check us out www.osucascades.edu

Old 08-27-2013, 02:40 PM

535 posts, read 966,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyjohack View Post
It is interesting to hear the comments about teaching in Oregon.... I CAN comment about CENTRAL OREGON, as I not only raised my own children here in the Bend/Lapine School District, but I also taught in this area, and volunteer coached, and I am currently working at OSU-Cascades in the Master of Arts in Teaching Programs. Having said all of that, I would say that my experiences within this educational system in this region have been great!! What better place to raise my childeren, work, and support other educators going out into the field of education!
This University here, OSU-Cascades has an amazing GRADUATE PROGRAM for anyone interested in EDUCATION! Check out our MAT Programs! We have over 80% of our students getting jobs when they graduate!

Why wouldn't you want to move to BEND OREGON and learn to teach from an NCATE, quality program??!! check us out www.osucascades.edu
Good for you! A friend of mine has a granddaughter who teaches SPED in Redmond or Sisters and she loves it. The profession needs more inspired and dedicated people like you. I browsed through the Education Forum and was really bummed by all the negative and militant attitudes teachers have toward their administration, parents and kids. I don't know what's driving that, but I have my suspicions. If they don't like the heat, they need to get out of the kitchen.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:20 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
My niece just took a job in Redmond. 4th grade I think. She is a conservative and Redmond Parents tend to shun liberal ideas foisted on their children.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:50 PM

535 posts, read 966,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am not a teacher but out of the hundreds of teachers who routinely get laid off, those are the ones who get hired back when the trickle of rehires are called back. This is according to my teacher friends.

For example, a friend who has been teaching in the Beaverton school district for the past 15 years told me about 300-400 layoffs over the past two years. Out of those maybe ten teachers were needed back. Only teachers who had been layed off were even considered. She believes that's pretty much the rule all over. Unless of course there is always the possibility someone gets lucky.

Teaching is one of those jobs you just don't count on getting when you relocate to Oregon.
Things have certainly changed. When I taught 4th grade in Beaverton we had four field trips per year. Bonneville Dam, The Zoo, OMSI and Lelooska. One year the principal came up and said we had extra money and everyone could have an additional field trip. I chose Franz Bakery.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:34 AM

3 posts, read 2,686 times
Default wanting a teaching job in the pacific NW...

Bringing this post back from the archives b/c I started to post a NEW post about teaching in Oregon and saw that there was already one from a few years back. My husband and I are both teachers (I'm an elementary teacher and he teaches technology engineering in the secondary schools). We're wanting to relocate to the pacific NW and are looking at Oregon and Washington, both. I wanted to get a sense of what the teaching was like there. It's been my experience as a teacher that, if you're good and you know your stuff (which I do), you can get a job anywhere. BUT, we're not afraid to get our hands dirty and work in the urban school districts w/low-income kiddos. In fact, that's where most of our experience comes from. It looks like the state of affairs in Oregon aren't great, but they sound just like the state of affairs in Oklahoma, where we live now. We're not used to working for rich school with really big budgets. For the entire time I've taught, I've taught in a Title I school w/no classroom budget. I buy everything that I need and create my own curriculum most times. My husband has been used to having a budget, but with him teaching technology engineering, he's funded by a career foundation and they're more free with that money than the school district can be. Anyway, long story short, I guess we can at least apply for jobs in Oregon and if we get one, we get one and if we don't, we won't move! Simple as that!

Old 11-09-2013, 10:26 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chica650 View Post
Bringing this post back from the archives b/c I started to post a NEW post about teaching in Oregon and saw that there was already one from a few years back. My husband and I are both teachers (I'm an elementary teacher and he teaches technology engineering in the secondary schools). We're wanting to relocate to the pacific NW and are looking at Oregon and Washington, both. I wanted to get a sense of what the teaching was like there. It's been my experience as a teacher that, if you're good and you know your stuff (which I do), you can get a job anywhere. BUT, we're not afraid to get our hands dirty and work in the urban school districts w/low-income kiddos. In fact, that's where most of our experience comes from. It looks like the state of affairs in Oregon aren't great, but they sound just like the state of affairs in Oklahoma, where we live now. We're not used to working for rich school with really big budgets. For the entire time I've taught, I've taught in a Title I school w/no classroom budget. I buy everything that I need and create my own curriculum most times. My husband has been used to having a budget, but with him teaching technology engineering, he's funded by a career foundation and they're more free with that money than the school district can be. Anyway, long story short, I guess we can at least apply for jobs in Oregon and if we get one, we get one and if we don't, we won't move! Simple as that!
You won't be able to create your own curriculum in Oregon. You will have to use the curriculum chosen by the school district.

If you are bilingual that will help or if you are a special needs teacher, you have it made. Just regular ed as an elementary school teacher, I don't see you having anything but a substitute position for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon