U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 11:47 PM

54 posts, read 174,338 times
Default Weather patterns in Central Oregon

I am considering relocating to Central Oregon but am concerned about winter weather conditions. I understand snow and cold temperatures can be expected in Bend and increasingly so in the areas west and south of Bend. What differences could you expect in the weather if you lived within 30 miles north or east of Bend?
All comments appreciated.
minorbrew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 08:34 AM

3,676 posts, read 6,587,186 times
Not much of a difference.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:44 PM

2,861 posts, read 4,409,704 times
I just moved to Bend, and from what I hear, Redmond the the NE of Bend doesn't get as much snow. I don't exactly know what "as much" means. The temps. seem to be a few degrees warmer, but like Blazer Prophet said, not much. If you don't like snow at all, then Central Oregon is probably not a good place to move. However, if you don't mind it, but just don't want massive amounts, such as the great lakes states, then you would probably be okay.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:31 PM

98 posts, read 238,960 times
Default Weather difference

I have traveled extensively to Central Oregon and generally Redmond is usually a few degrees warmer with less to no snow, Bend can have slushy snow especially in the foothills and to the south 16 miles plus to Sunriver a few degrees cooler with more snow than bend. The snow in Bend seems to melt faster and Sunriver stays more a permanent part of the landscape. Sunriver is higher in elevation than Bend which I believe accounts for the difference. All three areas are cold in the winter but with four wheel drive is easy to get around no matter what the conditions.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:31 PM

Smile Weather in Central Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Not much of a difference.
Thanks for your honest reply.
minorbrew

Old 11-11-2008, 10:37 PM

Default Weather in Central Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabocurtis View Post
I have traveled extensively to Central Oregon and generally Redmond is usually a few degrees warmer with less to no snow, Bend can have slushy snow especially in the foothills and to the south 16 miles plus to Sunriver a few degrees cooler with more snow than bend. The snow in Bend seems to melt faster and Sunriver stays more a permanent part of the landscape. Sunriver is higher in elevation than Bend which I believe accounts for the difference. All three areas are cold in the winter but with four wheel drive is easy to get around no matter what the conditions.
Thanks for your reply. I have found that sometimes, within a 20-30 mile radius, neighboring areas may have small but important differences in climate. I am particularly curious about places like Terrebonne and Prineville, compared to Bend.
minorbrew

Old 11-12-2008, 09:43 PM

30 posts, read 76,956 times
I've lived in Oregon, well, many years and been stuck in Bend for thirty. I always tell folks (half in jest) Summer starts July 5 and ends Labor Day. Seriously we do have a beautiful Fall season. Winter/Spring can be windy and unpredictable. The further South one goes from Bend, the more snow and cold can be expected. The further North just the opposite. So if you're fearful of the icy elements, go North or East. East will definitely be dryer, but there's nothing out there... The winter weather has been moderating the last ten or so, but who knows. All of the region can get hit with Arctic icy/snowy weather if Mother Nature gets a whim...

Old 12-01-2008, 01:03 PM

18 posts, read 42,491 times
Great Posts! Does the sun shine a lot in Bend? Do you have to have a four wheel drive to get around in the winter? How cold does it get? And does it rain a lot? Can one find jobs there? And what are the best areas for apartment living in Bend? Thanks so much!

Old 12-01-2008, 01:49 PM

2,861 posts, read 4,409,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanrainbow View Post
Great Posts! Does the sun shine a lot in Bend? Do you have to have a four wheel drive to get around in the winter? How cold does it get? And does it rain a lot? Can one find jobs there? And what are the best areas for apartment living in Bend? Thanks so much!
Cyan,

Check my response in your other post, Is Bend the place for not so religious families. I think I answered most of your questions there.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:55 PM

18 posts, read 42,491 times
Thanks Delta, I think I am getting the hang of this..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon