Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2008, 12:31 AM

115 posts, read 173,368 times

Advertisements

What are people's experiences with the less known places in Oregon or less talked about places: The Dallas, Ontario, Redmond, Florence, Lincoln City, Albany, etc. u get my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 11:05 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,976,255 times
I like the northeastern part of Oregon, I don't think you would call them tourist meccas, but they are interesting. One town is Union, Oregon, there is much there, just a small quite town. My wife and I stayed in the old Union Hotel it's like taking a trip back in time, they have been trying to restore the hotel and I think they have done a good job.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:10 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,484,715 times
I love the smaller towns in Oregon. I've lived in several of them. It just depends on what a person wants. NE, SE, Coastal... all are beautiful in their own right.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:46 PM

378 posts, read 1,564,946 times
I think each has its own appeal, but I love the coast. I think the Oregon coast is just spectacular. I also love the million shades of green in the Willamette Valley.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:07 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,592,511 times
I love the high desert eastern Oregon area. Am planning to spend some time there, LaGrande area, looking forward to getting to know that beautiful part of the state.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:23 PM

15,494 posts, read 40,190,180 times
Oregon is made up on tons of smaller cities and towns. I think it is the charm of Oregon. There are many great places to escape to along the coast, down south, out east. I know many people don't like the urban growth boundaries, but I really like the fact that we don't have sprawl with one mega city connecting to another.

Whether you are hitting the dunes in the Florence area, or windsurfing in the Dalles, there are many great small towns to explore.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:00 PM

21 posts, read 130,611 times
Check out Post, a "small town" at the geographical center of Oregon. There's one house with a family and dogs, a general store, a few fence posts, and a lot of high desert. Welcome to the Wild West.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:20 PM

927 posts, read 1,938,233 times
I like the quiet resillency of a place like Burns, a town so far off the beaten track that the nearest city of similar or larger size is 130 miles away.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:47 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,897,165 times
I went through Oregon about five and half years ago on a trip to visit my uncle in Idaho and to see the coast. I went through Ontario, Burns, Bend, Lebanon, Corvallis, and to Newport. Also, I have been to Lincoln City and Astoria. I thought that my trip through Oregon was a very good one. I notice a few quirks there not seen too much in the Upper Midwest and still cannot get over the concept of having attendants pump gas at gas stations.

Even though the high desert in Eastern Oregon is isolated, it was neat in its own right. I thought that the cliffs were neat and the small towns were interesting. The area near Bend is stunning (with the mountains). The area west of Bend was wonderful to look at with the tall trees. The coast between Newport and Astoria were neat. We stayed in Newport at a mom and pop hotel and had a great time at the coastline.

I am amazed at the variety of landscapes, scenery, and communities in Oregon. I wished that I could have spend more time in Oregon and it is one of my favorite western states. I would love to come back again and visit again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon