Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 12:22 PM

38 posts, read 225,166 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I will be moving in April to (hopefully) Southern Oregon. We've been researching many towns, and have come up with Grants Pass, Medford and Klamath Falls as our top 3. We would like any comparisons, information and fair opinions about these places and maybe which would be best for us.

We're looking for a small town of friendly people, good art culture, and lots of mountains and recreational things to do like hiking, fishing, skiing, the coast. I know these towns are all in the same vicinity and so a lot of places, like Crater Lake, are close no matter where we go. I think the deciding factors are home/land prices, jobs and recreation. We're newlyweds in our late-20s to early-30s and this will be our first home. We want to have a nice yard and a small 1200 ft. home (maybe a foreclosure to fix up). Nothing more than $180,000. Quiet, peaceful neighborhoods in the 'burbs or rural, but an easily accessible downtown area for culture. Cool, little festivals and markets are nice too. We'd prefer less rain, but it depends on if the annual rainfall is throughout the entire year (little at a time) or a whole bunch all within a small period of time. We don't mind snow, as long as it's not the heavy, wet stuff and we love sunshine!

We'll be going back to school - mainly medical field and we are both artistc. We may start a family, too, but not right away so schools aren't that important right now (except for colleges). The only things we don't like are too much country-western culture, desert areas and rude people. We are also Christians but that really doesn't matter in our search since we can always read our Bibles at home if we can't find a church.

All input is appreciated. Thanks!!

Last edited by sapphire904; 12-13-2008 at 01:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 03:42 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,543,882 times
Unfortunately, none of those towns fit everything you're looing for 100%.

The only place where you can easily get the house for the money is K-Falls. However, art is dead there. I lived there for 7 years and it's still the worst town I have ever seen for anything artsy. However, the outdoor recreational activities are best there out of the 3 towns you mention.

Medford would be most expensive, but best for art- especially at nearby Ashland about 15-20 miles away. It's also OK for close by outdoor activities.

Grants Pass would be in the middle for housing, arts and outdoor activities.

As far as friendliest people, I go K-Falls, Grants Pass and Medford in that order, but it's close.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:52 PM

54 posts, read 293,902 times
sapphire904, My wife and I have a home in Grants Pass and we're somewhat familiar with Medford, and less with K-Falls. I would have to say that Grants Pass may be the best compromise of those three towns. It is large enough to offer an array of services (more than K-Falls), yet doesn't have the traffic congestion and "city" feel that you find in Medford. All three of these towns would be reasonably close to outdoor/recreational activities and Grants Pass puts you within easy driving distance to Medford and Ashland, if you should need the things offered there.
We know a lady in real estate in Grants Pass who we have worked with several times. If you are interested, direct mail me on this forum and I'll be happy to put you in touch with her.
Good luck on your choices.
minorbrew

Old 12-16-2008, 11:01 AM

38 posts, read 225,166 times
Thank you both for your opinions. I think so far, based on your info and our research, Grants Pass sounds like the best choice for us. We don't necessarily need to live in an artsy town, as long as there are some craft/art shows & establishments to showcase our stuff within driving distance. We'll be selling most of our art online, I think. He does photography and I paint. We're really excited to move to OR - I wish it were tomorrow!

Old 12-16-2008, 04:02 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,071 times
I think you would enjoy Grants Pass, however, with the county funding issues still up in the air you'll hear allot of opinions about this, but I think they will work it out. Out of the 3 towns you listed I think that Grants Pass is the most progressive of the 3. I live in Medford, I grew up in GP in the 60's and have always had a soft spot for the town. Like in most towns, you make it your own, the town is just as friendly as you choose to be.

Good luck on your move

Old 01-05-2009, 10:21 PM

2 posts, read 49,557 times
I've lived in Medford and Klamath Falls and attended college in all three towns. For someone in our age range (I'm in my early 30's) Medford would be your best bet. You would have to live somewhere on the outskirts however to get land and housing at a lower price. Grants Pass is probably cheaper in the housing market but only offers RCC as far as colleges go, which is fine if you are looking for a 2 year certificate in the medical field. SOU is the only 4 year college in that area and its a good 45 minute drive from Grants Pass, so closer to Medford or Ashland would be a better bet there and would offer more options in the job market as well. Klamath Falls has OIT, which is an awesome school, I loved going there and they offer a variety of health occupations as well, but they are kind of secluded, the passes can be difficult to traverse in the winter time, that is desert area which you said you don't like, and like other people have pointed out, there isn't much for art around that area. Medford would be much closer to the coast, skiing (Mt. Ashland), school, night life, art fairs (Ashland) and job markets. I hope that helps, and if you have any specific questions feel free to email me! Heather

Old 01-06-2009, 05:22 PM

33 posts, read 288,218 times
If christianity was enough of an issue for you to mention it, you might want to think twice before packing your bags. You will get no Southern Baptistism in Southern Oregon. As a matter of fact, year after year Oregon ranks 49th in the country in church attendance. The only folks who beat us year in and year out are our good friends to the north, Washington, which ranks 50th.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:36 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
Maybe because of all the glorious natural beauty surrounding the area, one doesnt need to go inside a church to find ones Creator

Old 01-07-2009, 04:51 PM

33 posts, read 288,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Maybe because of all the glorious natural beauty surrounding the area, one doesnt need to go inside a church to find ones Creator
Just so you know, I wasn't trying to be rude, I was just being honest ... and yes, you also have a point.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:54 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
No, never crossed my mind that you were being rude.
You live in one of the most beautiful cathedrals I have ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon