Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2008, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,861 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to move to Oregon this spring. We have done a lot of research and our top choices are Bend or Ashland right now, but we are open to suggestions. We are in our late 20's. No children, but two very lovable big dogs (Lab and Springer). The big things we want are: outdoor recreation (especially snowboarding/skiing close by in the winter and good places for camping/floating in the summer), very dog friendly place, somewhere that won't be a ghost town after sunset (we would especially like pub-like places to go), and finally somewhere that has an open minded and laid back nature.

We currently live in Northwest Arkansas, which can be clique-ish and uppity. There is a little too much concern with who has how much money. It is smack dab in the middle of the bible belt too. We aren't against organized religion or anything like that, we are just tired of living in a place where people look down on you for (a) not going to church in general, or (b) not going to the "right" church.

As far as the job market goes, we are both in management in the hospitality industry. While we would like to stay in hospitality, our management experience is enough to move to another industry if necessary.

Any suggestions on places to consider or advice on Ashland or Bend would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 03:15 PM

15,490 posts, read 40,186,319 times
You sound like you are right on target to me. I think either of those would be a good fit for what you are describing.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:37 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,483,441 times
I think you would prefer Bend or Redmond. Substantially more outdoor activities year round and people who don't like religion or religious people.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:05 AM

6 posts, read 28,405 times
what about cottage grove?? is that a good place for a young married couple.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:58 PM

9,858 posts, read 11,868,701 times
Where isn't a good place for a young, married couple in Oregon? It has to be said though, with all the action being sent Bend's way I have to wonder about the prospects jobwise. Seems like bigger metro areas along the Willamette would still offer access to nature and the liberal vibe but have more ... everything. FWIW.

H

Old 12-17-2008, 09:08 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,483,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Where isn't a good place for a young, married couple in Oregon? It has to be said though, with all the action being sent Bend's way I have to wonder about the prospects jobwise. Seems like bigger metro areas along the Willamette would still offer access to nature and the liberal vibe but have more ... everything. FWIW.

H

That's a good point.

However, if I were young again I'd love to live in the Bend area where I could ski, bike, run, raft, fish, golf... year round. Unlike the other areas of the state where rain rain rain keeps me indoors so much, Bend is the ideal spot for a young active couple.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:53 AM

6 posts, read 28,405 times
What about junction city, or harrisburg, or goshen. looking for a smaller town outside of eugene =]

Old 12-18-2008, 05:00 PM

480 posts, read 2,458,467 times
Bend would be a perfect place if the job market improves. Our tourist industry is suffering right now (though with all the snow that's finally falling, maybe that will pick up). There is a new fancy-schmanse hotel opening next year downtown. Sunriver might be an option for jobs (you could commute from Bend), so you might check out Sunriver Resort's website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon