U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-01-2007, 07:46 PM

3 posts, read 12,801 times
Default moving to the dalles, oregon--one with google, one with NOTHING!

hi--i know someone else asked a similar question, but i thought i'd throw in mine, too. oddly, we're coming from minnesota, as well.

so the beau is going to work for google (arriving there april 1), and i'm finishing out our lease here and giving a lot more notice on my job (leaving june 1, arriving whenever i get there). obviously, he's set job-wise, but me? not so much.

i have 15 years experience in bars/restaurants (managing, bartending, and serving, primarily, but you'd be hard pressed to find a job in a restaurant i -haven't- done, at least for a little while). i've also managed a bookstore & a mall retail skin-care place (origins, for the record), and i was the lead visual stylist at a home shopping network here in minneapolis. i've also worked in: a greenhouse and florist, a dry-cleaner, a convenience store, a hotel gift shop, and a movie theater. swear to god, i'm not a flake--just been working since i was 13. i can type 80+ words a minute, i'm a quick learner on most things, and despite my utter disregard for capitalization in forums, i have very strong written & verbal communications skills. and yes, that means i'm a talker.

so yeah. anyone? thoughts?

oh, and also--the aforementioned beau will be arriving with a small furry friend of the canine variety. according to his research, it's a bit harder to find a place (apartment, i should say) that will allow dogs. dalles-folk? is this a correct impression?

thanks for your time & all.

cate acer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 01:04 AM

1,849 posts, read 4,498,673 times
I'd look here for information on The Dalles http://www.thedalleschronicle.com/
They have a couple of shopping centers,small shops downtown,and grocery stores.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:38 PM

177 posts, read 633,059 times
Hi! I am a former resident of The Dalles (affectionately called TD). Not much in the way of pet friendly apartments ( I have two dogs and a cat). I moved away 4 years ago just before Google started building. You may be better off finding a house to rent. As far as you finding employment, the biggest employer is the hospital Mid-Columbia Medical Center (MCMC is what the locals call it). FYI: It is windy there pretty much year round (lots of windsurfers in the summer). The hospital has a website, try mcmc.com, not sure that's it, but I think it is. They have job posting on their website, one of the few businesses in town that are that tech savy. Small town, population of about 15,000.00. They do have a Home Depot and Wal-Mart is in Hood River 20 minutes to the west on I-84. Good luck on your move.

P.S. If you want to get involved with pets, the local shelter is run by a no-kill group called Home At Last, great bunch of ladies that have really taken that group and expanded it.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,837 times
Default resident

welcome to the gorge! I wish I could tell you the best place to live with a pet, or a good place to seek employment...
We live by the hospital, and I know there is a big house for rent, just saw it yesterday. Apartments in the dalles are small, but if you are coming from "the City" prices are a lot less for rent, so maybe a house? Real estate agents have listing for rentals and should be able to set you up!
We have 2 hair salons (t.d. and hood river) so if you need anything as far as that goes...
Maybe we could use your help in the future, since you have experience at origins...
Take care, and welcome to the dalles!

Old 06-17-2010, 11:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,491 times
Are we still getting walmart in The Dalles Oregon or what has become of that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon