Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 11:13 PM

114 posts, read 268,251 times

Advertisements

I live remotely in the woods 20 miles inland on the central coast and love it. I would like a second place in Oregon over in Wheeler County/Fossil. Don't think me rich; I'm speaking of an alley cottage or wrecked fixer or bare lot where i can park my vintage Airstream for some crisp snowy winter skies and sun when January in the coast range gets too dark and closed-in. I could offer a reciprocal space for desert dwellers to come here......hmmmm!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 10:02 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainbrowntabby View Post
I live remotely in the woods 20 miles inland on the central coast and love it. I would like a second place in Oregon over in Wheeler County/Fossil. Don't think me rich; I'm speaking of an alley cottage or wrecked fixer or bare lot where i can park my vintage Airstream for some crisp snowy winter skies and sun when January in the coast range gets too dark and closed-in. I could offer a reciprocal space for desert dwellers to come here......hmmmm!?
You might be able to find something along the John Day River. Or the Middle Fork of the John Day. Personally I'd go for the Middle Fork area, it's a bit wetter, cooler and greener.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:15 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,005 times
I would live on the coast.

I can for sure that I wouldn't live HERE (Salem) where it just gets more and more congested day after day and the speed limits get lowered in increasing areas where people already drove slow to begin with.

I mention this becasue it's a sore point with me at the moment. Our city in all it's wisdom just changed a 45 zone to a 35 because a DRUNK driver hit some pedestrians on a sidewalk. She wasn't even speeding at the time.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:17 PM

170 posts, read 571,203 times
Ashland is simply gorgeous! I love the mountains.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,013 times
Well, I looked at all the posts...considering moving near the coast...need access to Va hospital...I guess southern Oregon (near White City VA) is best option, cause I DO want some sunshine at least. Sick to death of florida after 38 years...summers way to hot....winters great, but too short, then comes THE OVEN again.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:53 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,346 times
eugene or bend, probably eugene more since theres the amtrak and i like the rain but the dessert is cool.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:55 PM

12 posts, read 19,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I think if this thread tells you anything, it's that there's a shangrila for everyone somewhere within Oregon's borders. It's an awesome state.
So true. Oregon is the best!

Old 08-09-2012, 11:31 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by white knight View Post
Well, I looked at all the posts...considering moving near the coast...need access to Va hospital...I guess southern Oregon (near White City VA) is best option, cause I DO want some sunshine at least. Sick to death of florida after 38 years...summers way to hot....winters great, but too short, then comes THE OVEN again.

Howdy white knight .

I drive about 70 mile to Roseburg VA Hospital once a year for an appointment (we get a gas allowance). Great folks care for us. I think it's larger facility then White City Domiciliary. Roseburg gets quite a bit of sunshine. Seems pretty nice there to me.

VA Roseburg Healthcare System, Roseburg, Oregon Home

Best of luck with your choice.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:59 PM

653 posts, read 1,794,283 times
Somewhere in the coastal range, where I had a quick commute to both one of of the cities in the Valley and to the coast.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:49 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,029 times
Here is what we do:

We live in Ashland. It is lovely, convenient and some of our family is here too. We retired here from SoCal six years ago. When it gets HOT in the summer, and it does for a relatively short time, we head over to the coast in our Airstream. We take two or three two-week trips and just love it.

In the winter, which is a bit long and gray, we drag the Airstream down to AZ and stay for a month or two. This year we'll probably go down for February and March.

Our full-time town is just fine, our options for dealing with summer and winter work for us. In a perfect world we'd have a beach house for summer and a desert house for winter but our solution comes close enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon