Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2008, 09:24 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times

Advertisements

I was talking to a close friend of mine tonight and we were talking about going places in life. I'm twenty and he's twenty. We're just chit chatting about how cool it would be to move out west with our other two friens, one of them being my Brother whom I'm very close to. He's only a year younger than me.

The idea? Well move away from Wisconsin for a year just to experience life somehwhere else. I was telling him about the Pacific Northwest. He said it sounds very interesting. My brother also has an itch to move out west. So I thought Oregon may be the best bet.

Why do we want to move away? I personally want to move away because I feel as though it may make life a bit more interesting. Even if it's only for a year or so. I think that it will be something that I won't regret....

So what I'm looking for?
A town with 15,000- 60,000 people
Some Big box stores...
No University towns-it seems to drive rent up.
Maybe right on the ocean?
Or in the mountains?
Low crime
Plenty of entertainment
Active City Government
Environmentally concious

I'm sure I'll add more to the list later on. This all I could think of for now.
There'd be four of us moving...

Thanks for any help....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 09:52 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Go overseas if you are really looking for an adventure in your youth, believe me I did and I have never regretted it. Good luck. The US is so homogenized, Walmart here, Walmart there, not much difference. Good luck and get out there!

Old 12-29-2008, 11:30 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
You want plenty of entertainment in a town of 15,000???

What kind of rent can you guys afford and what kind of jobs will you be looking for?

Old 12-29-2008, 04:03 PM

800 a month at most. Remember we're from small town WI where $800 will get you a nice place. I'm not sure how things compare?

Jobs-
I've worked pizza delivery, Electrician Assistant, Automotive detailer, Radio broadcaster, Plowing snow

Adam(20)-Worked factory plastic production, telemarketing, retail
Kyle(18)-Concrete work
Jake(18)-Custodial

All four of us would be renting together.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:51 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,852,865 times
Your choices will be limited by your requirements but I'll make a few suggestions. The only places big enough for you on the coast would be Coos BAy or Astoria. Coos Bay has Walmart,FredMeyer and a mall next to it in North Bend. The cities of North Bend and Coos Bay adjoin each other. You can probably find something to rent at that price, but not anything real big.

Now for the mountains! Redmond has about 17,000 people and it's 17 miles to Bend which is larger. Bend tends to be more expensive. Grants Pass has some moutains around it, and a river through it. I don't know about rents in theses places and I'm not sure about night life.

I hope hope you find a place of interest.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:58 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
I'm with waterlily that I can't imagine $800 on the coast will get you a place big enough for 4 people.

I know you don't want to be in a university town, but really Eugene sounds like it would be a good choice for you. There is a lot of things for young folks there because of the university and it is very active politically. Otherwise Bend will meet most of your needs, except probably the $800 a month rent issue.

Oregon is not a cheap place to live.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:45 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
Have you thought about the Portland metro area? If you can find something cheap enough it would be my first suggestion. I had four friends split a nice 2 bedroom apartment in Beaverton for dirt cheap per person. If you want to live affordably in Oregon on a lower income you have to make some sacrifices. I live in downtown Portland and my rent is dirt cheap because I split a small, older 1 bedroom apartment with my roommate. Eugene or Ashland would be my second and third suggestions aside from Portland. Anywhere else I wouldn't recommend if you're looking for excitement. Oregon (population wise) is a small state and even the big cities feel small.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:13 PM

Thanks Folks!

Old 12-29-2008, 08:58 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Don't really have a lot to add, other than to say that Oregon is not a cheap place to live (as stated), especially if you want to be within a reasonable distance to those fabled box stores and entertainment! Just a forewarning... (PS: $800 is cheap rent in PDX)

I'm with sevenofnine, and I'd take her advice if I were you. (IMHO!) It is certainly true that we have become very homogenized - why look for just another town with another Walmart? There are many people on this forum who have travelled all over the world; they may be able to offer some advice if you want to go to Europe, South America, etc. Like 7of9 said, you will not regret it!

Whatever you choose JoshB, I wish you the best of luck! It can be such an exciting time in your lives ~

Old 12-30-2008, 01:52 PM

5 posts, read 13,789 times
I just gotta add that the coastal towns aren't that exciting if you are comparing them to so cali beach towns (young persons perspective). A lot of the coastal towns were booming in the 80's until the logging industry dropped.

I am from Bend and am partial to it for its size, growth, laid back lifestyle. You can find plenty of places for rent for $800 there, especially in the outlying areas (sunriver, redmond). You would be close to skiing, lakes, golf, mtn biking, the ampitheatre, old mill district. The winters can be cold but nothing like the rockie mtns or midwest gets. Passes close but you most of the time can go up through the Dalles to go to Portland if needed.

Eugene is nice, Corvallis is too. Portland is expensive for rent, even in the outlying areas. I would also suggest travelling maybe out of the country and living life to its fullest. But if you have your heart set on oregon, check out bend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon