Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2008, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 5,433 times

Advertisements

I have officially lived in Coos Bay now for almost 4 years and here is what I noticed.
I am not trying to offend anyone or put anyone down…it’s just what I noticed….good and bad!

This place is the cleanest place I have ever seen. Not only does the rain wash everything dirty away but the wind blows everything dirty away as well.
The ocean and beaches here are SO blue and clean. There is a beautiful white light on sunny days opposed to orange/brown smoggy air on other beaches. There are hardly
any people on the sandy beaches and it’s really not even that cold. Every time I go to the beach ..even in the middle of winter I still can’t believe that there are barley any people on the beaches.
I am a huge nature lover and love hiking and there are so many trails all around Coos Bay and around the towns next to Coos Bay.
The people here are pretty nice. There are a lot of travelers and people passing through. I use to work off Hwy 101 and saw a few hitchhikers everyday. There are plenty of poor people. Sometimes as I drive through town on a rainy day I can’t help but notice trailers with smoke coming out of them from their fires and the whole scene with the gloomy sky and rain just looks so poor to me
The economy in this town is pretty bad..not just because the economy is bad everywhere but this town was pretty poor before this bad economy thing happened

Very Blue Collar.
Home Depot has been trying to open a store here for along time and the town won’t let any big businesses in. It’s like they don’t want it to grow. It’s so beautiful here but so poor. I understand the small businesses don’t want to lose their business and the people here don’t want this place to turn into a huge city but a little tourism or shopping wouldn’t hurt in my opinion. It may help bring some more jobs in here for middle class people that want to raise a family

The night life here is pretty bad. If you want to go out drinking at a bar you won’t have a problem at all. That’s all there is to do.

They say this county has a pretty bad meth problem. I personally don’t do meth so I am not in the circuit and never see it.
If you want to wear something that nobody in the town has in their closet as well you are definitely going to need to go to a bigger city to do some shopping. I take trips to Eugene every once in a while to have a better selection…..but again..Coos Bay is A small town so you have to expect that.

Business pretty much stops in the winter. I don’t really know why. This town just throws into to STOP mode during Winter.
The weather is pretty mild here. It doesn’t snow. I have to scrape
frost off my windshield maybe 15 times in the winter and for some reason this town becomes as slow as molasses in the winter.
It does rain quite a bit…but it makes the spring and summer seasons feel very much like a cooler rainforest. Fall here is AWESOME! Indian summer lasts pretty much until the middle of November
Pretty much the only time I get tired of the weather here is towards the middle end of winter…when I am ready for a change. But the weather here changes so frequently that you never really get a chance to get bored if it.
Whale watching is Awesome! I grew up next to the beach in a different area and use to go whale watching all the time and I saw more whales during one day in Coos Bay then I ever did in 10 years where I grew up
My biggest problem I have since I have moved here is the Job opportunity! I personally have a pretty good job. I have had my job since I moved here. But I have seen many people move here and have an extremely hard time find stable fulltime work. The lack of opportunity here makes me crazy sometimes. If you want to live somewhere and have to pay rent/mortgage and you need a stable full time job to feel comfortable doing so I would NOT recommend Coos Bay Oregon

If you have enough money and don’t need to work full time and want to raise your family in a nice small quiet town with plenty of nature and relatively mild weather….
Then I would recommend Coos Bay Oregon!

Last edited by girlh20; 12-29-2008 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: It showed font sizes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 04:17 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,565,820 times
Can you fix this? I can't read a sentence with out some size quotation impeding my view.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:37 PM

32 posts, read 153,611 times
I am moving to Coos Bay from Florida...i lived in Salem and Portland for a few years before i moved back....i noticed that there is a huge meth problem in Oregon than here.....i am looking for the small town life because i have lived in the city all my life and want to take it easy and slow and take in the scenery and the natural life and activities that it has to offer. I work at a caller center in Florida that contracts out with the cell center in Coos Bay so as far as a job i dont think it will be a issue....your post told me alot Thanks.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:58 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,396,581 times
Coos Bay doesn't want Home Depot to move in because it WILL put a lot of the local business out of business. For a small town like Coos Bay, a big box store is the kiss of death to the entire economy. I'm very glad they are resisting temptation. Coos Bay suffered hard during the 1980's logging downturn and still has not recovered to anywhere near it's former glory.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:47 AM

24 posts, read 67,530 times
Sounds like a little slice of heaven to me. A small town that is still a small town, and locals who don't change. I take serious consideration to these things before I move there.

Record your town today and look back at it about 3- 4 years from now. I think that once you look at the media you have recorded, you will find that it actually is changing, perhaps slowly, but I bet it will change.

Enjoy it. There are hoards of outsiders who would most certainly like to have your small town and change it.

Take Care

Old 08-13-2009, 10:25 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,982,012 times
Girlh20, what you describe is typical of most of the Oregon coastal towns. Coos Bay is Oregons largest coastal city and it largest coastal port. During the 70's and 80's Coos Bay was booming with business from the logging industry, exporting allot of timber and timber products. Today that is a different story, the businesses are just trying to hang on, and as Hamellr said, big box stores are not a welcome addition to any small town due to the inability of local owned stores to compete. I've always enjoyed Coos Bay, we travel there about 3 times a year just to get out of the valley here in Southern Oregon and enjoy the coast.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:14 PM

114 posts, read 267,094 times
Tourism does not generate middle class jobs. It creates low-wage service jobs cleaning up after the leisure class. We don't need anymore of that on the Oregon Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon