Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 07:21 PM

22 posts, read 87,324 times

Advertisements

yea I am coming from Detroit area, so its going to be a little different. Klamath Falls is a little smaller and a little more isolated. Oh yea different weather too! I will check the crestview commons out! I hope your move is going smoother for you than mine is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 11:37 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,746,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtusarah View Post
What are good moving options to move into klamath falls? I am having a hard time finding moving companies that service the area from long distance moves.

It seems like none of the pack your self type companies service the areas. Any suggestions on full service movers?
Mayflower has a rather prominent terminal in the south end of town, but I imagine any of the larger full-service outfits would be more than willing to bring your stuff right to your door..........for a price.

If money is an issue, perhaps something along the lines of a U-Haul or Penske truck rental might do it for you. Assuming reasonable weather, you're looking at 4-5 days from Detroit.

If you do decide to rent a van, your route will likely be I-80 all the through to Nevada and then head north. In March with a rental van, I'd be more inclined to go to Reno and head north on 395 rather than getting off I-80 at Winnemucca and cutting across 140.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:31 PM

22 posts, read 87,324 times
My job is paying for shipping so money isnt too big of an issue. I was wondering about the mountains in march. I am probably going to be leaving from northern MI (picking someone up) and taking US 2 across, but that takes me all the way through into montana then washington and then down. Would it be a safer trip to head south and come in the way you suggested? I don't really have any experience driving in mountains(not what you call mountains) and I don't want any unwelcome surprises!

I will check out Mayflower. I am just having issues because alot of moving companies dont service klamath falls. So this is good information!

Old 01-22-2009, 01:44 PM

3 posts, read 10,725 times
washington and montana can be a mess in the winter, it all depends on the weather if you take that route. i honestly like the utah, idaho route myself, did a road trip a few summers ago that way.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtusarah View Post
My job is paying for shipping so money isnt too big of an issue. I was wondering about the mountains in march. I am probably going to be leaving from northern MI (picking someone up) and taking US 2 across, but that takes me all the way through into montana then washington and then down. Would it be a safer trip to head south and come in the way you suggested? I don't really have any experience driving in mountains(not what you call mountains) and I don't want any unwelcome surprises!

I will check out Mayflower. I am just having issues because alot of moving companies dont service klamath falls. So this is good information!
Unfortunately, you can get unexpected weather surprises at the time of year you'll be travelling and the mountains only complicate things.

Those of us raised in the eastern flatlands know that to get cold you go north and to get warm you go south. Not so in the mountains.

Weather in the mountains is as much a function of elevation as anything else. In other words, to get colder, you go up and to get warmer you go down. It can be a sunny 50 degrees at the bottom of a mountain pass and be snowing heavily with 25 degree temperatures only 10 miles up the road if that 10 miles is at the top of a pass.

My first experience with this came when I left Klamath (elevation + /- 4000) at 8 am in sunny, 20 degree weather. There was a dusting of snow. Thirty miles west on OR 140 at elevation 5200 the temp was still around 20, but there was a good 12 inches of fresh snow. 20 miles beyond that dropping down into Medford (elev +/- 1900) the grass was green and the temps were in the 50s. That's a large variety in 50 or 60 miles.

The most important thing you can do is to get good local weather reports in the morning and at breaks and to take your time without taking unnecessary chances. Klamath Falls will still be there even if weather forces you to hole up for a day.

I only suggested you stay away from the Winnemucca route off I80 because it is has some windy, steep roads and there are very few houses or places of habitation if you have a problem. Last time I looked, there wasn't even a gas station in the 200 miles between Winnemucca and Lakeview.

I doubt there's any weather advantage to taking I80 rather than staying north on US 2. Just stick with major roads that get good maintainence.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:23 AM

20 posts, read 107,287 times
Husband is from Iowa. We have driven the distance between Oregon and Iowa and Minnesota several times. We always take a southern route, making a loop and going out of our way, if need be, to avoid the mountain passes as much as possible where you are likely to run into ice and even snow, especially in the spring (March) as you stated. I agree with Cornerguy1 about taking your time. Concentrate on safely getting to your destination and try not to build in deadlines that are not absolutely necessary to adhere to. Be your own best friend and get the daily road reports, as was suggested, and take your time, wisely working with whatever road conditions are out there! Good l uck and happy moving! I could move tomorrow, if we were ready to do so. I can't wait to get our little piece of real estate that will ensure our connection to where we will be retiring in 2-3 yrs. HAPPY MOVING!!

Old 08-26-2009, 03:27 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,550,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post

If money is an issue, perhaps something along the lines of a U-Haul or Penske truck rental might do it for you. Assuming reasonable weather, you're looking at 4-5 days from Detroit.
When I left CA, I had a terrible time finding a truck to bring my things: all the places said that none of the trucks would be coming back (as in dropping it off in OR) so they wouldn't let me rent. They were saying more people were leaving CA than were coming to CA (in 2004).

In the end I found a one way rental from Penske & it cost me a small fortune.

This is the right time of year to travel the distance.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,044 times
Sarah,

I am thinking about moving to K Falls. What has been your experience? I'm in my early 30's, and I fear there aren't a lot of young progressive folks there. Any help is appreciated

Old 03-25-2010, 09:17 PM

Got a job lined up, jason98370?

Employment should be your first concern; Klamath Falls wasn't an employment mecca at the best of times and these are not the best of times.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:25 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,822,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98370 View Post
Sarah,

I am thinking about moving to K Falls. What has been your experience? I'm in my early 30's, and I fear there aren't a lot of young progressive folks there. Any help is appreciated
There are some, but it's definitely not the mainstream the way it would in the Willamette Valley. We belonged to a CSA (community supported agriculture) and met a lot of them that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon