Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 07:48 PM

14 posts, read 57,953 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=2]Hey. I am a twenty-five-year-old male from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I’ve been here for almost eight years. It’s time to get out! I’m sick of the city and the smog. I’m intrigued by Oregon -- I picture a lot of green. I don’t know much about Portland, but it’s city-living aspect makes it low on my list of potential places to live. What are the best places to live in Oregon that fit my “loaded” list of criteria:

- A thriving bike community for riding and racing (road and cyclocross)
- One hour or less from Portland (the I don't like the city-thing, but the nearer the Alpenrose Velodrome the better, though this is not a deal-breaker …)
- An hour or less from mountains or woods for hiking, backpacking, climbing, fishing, etc. (this is a deal-breaker)
- A dog-friendly place with wide open spaces for my dog to run around
- A school district that is looking for elementary school teachers (I am a Pennsylvania-certified elementary school teacher)
- A decent “cultural leaning” -- bars, galleries, coffee shops, live music, etc.

I know I may be being too specific in my wants, but, hell, I might as well ask. Any help or suggestions about this is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 08:05 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
North Salem (Keizer), Sandy, Newberg & McMinville come to mind. The only drawback may be the amount of rain we have west of the cascades.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:57 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
My hubby is an avid road cyclist and the Portland Wheelman is a great club up in Portland. We have the Salem Bike Club here, but we don't have the "Torture Series" rides like they do in Portland. My hubby used to drive up for the rides and that might work for you if you don't have kids.

Honestly I think Sandy would be your best bet. It is sandwiched between Portland and Mt. Hood.

As for dogs, we have leash laws here, but we do have dog parks for off leash, voice command dogs.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:28 AM

Can you please elaborate on Sandy. What's it like? Etc. Thanks!

Old 01-20-2009, 01:53 PM

14 posts, read 49,370 times
Take a look at Bend. It's further from Portland, but has everything else you want. The biking community is huge, and the outdoor lifestyle is abundent. Central Oregon is a huge dog community as well. They're currently expanding the off leash areas and easing back on leash laws.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:12 AM

177 posts, read 969,368 times
Quote:
A school district that is looking for elementary school teachers
Unfortunately, that may be hard to find in this economy. There was a story on the news the other night about the budget shortfall and how it may fall to individual districts to cut positions or shorten the school day. One school is considering a 4 day week to help cut costs.

I don't mean to be negative here, just realistic.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:04 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I think I would work (teach) in Camas, WA and take the drive / ride for recreation.

For being in the heart of recreation and within one hour of Portland, and in a climate that has better school funding; consider Washougal, Mt Pleasant, Skamania, Stevenson, Carson, Cook / Underwood, and White Salmon, WA. Trout Lake, WA is one of the best (at the foot of Mt Adams), but is 1.5 hrs to Portland. Most of the above locations are in Skamania County, and it has some of the best cycling roads (wider with snow shoulders) and very little traffic. Stevenson has THE BEST brew pub, but other entertainment would require a drive to Hood River or Portland. (You might be 'out growing' these activities, tho some continue for life (I was done at 18, but my kids are continuing @ 24)). The NW roads are not great for cycling... I would go to areas surrounding Boulder, CO (Lyons, Longmont, Louisville, Niwot, Berthoud). I WAS an avid biker when living in Colorado, but the rain with dark and narrow roads, and drivers who are not used to seeing bikes makes it challenging in PNW (the wet side = between Cascade Mtns and coast.) Schools are very good in Northern Colorado, and having 300+ days / yr of dry biking vs 100 days can be a 'deal maker' !

You will appreciate the income tax free earnings while living AND working in WA.

I would also look into positions in more rural areas in NW OR, but I know they started cutting positions a few months ago. I have a friend teaching in North Marion (Aurora, OR) that really likes the district and kids.

WA and OR have a much different funding method and priority for schools.

Other places to check with better biking climate AND in the center of recreation;
Oregon: Bend, Klamath Falls, Grants Pass, Roseburg
Washington: The San Juan Islands, Sequim / Port Townsend, Wenatchee, Ellensburg, Cheney / Spokane, Walla Walla

Old 01-21-2009, 11:42 AM

Thank you very much for all the info!!! It's a great help! Thank you!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I should have mentioned..., if your career is a priority, look into Wyoming on your way west (income tax free). They pay teachers good and schools are funded VERY WELL, kids are pretty well behaved, unless you are in a transient 'energy town'. DON'T DO THAT to yourself. Don't look to Rock Springs, Green River, or Gillette or surrounding areas. Laramie (close to Ft Collins and the Snowy Range) is probably best for your desires. Sheridan and Cody are good too.

For excellent fishing, hiking, and wide open spaces WY is tough to beat (if you can handle incessant wind)

A 'Wyoming like' place in OR is LaGrande, it is very nice and close to good recreation, a bit too conservative for many, but that can be a breath of fresh air on the left coast.

Maybe you should look into places that you could teach in Dept of Defense schools. (usually Military Bases or diplomatic compounds)
I recently stayed with teachers who took early retirement and then taught at DOD schools in Europe and Asia, as well as USA. They were totally impressed with the students and being able to teach more and not have to deal with behavior issues. Sounded like a great way to see the world while benefiting the needs of kids AND get paid for it ! I would not trade my international work assignments; very difficult, very valuable... funny how that works.

Come on out and give it a try... Very cheap flights on SWA, Get rental cars on Priceline for under $20/day. Spring break would be a good time to get a mix of weather, but a tad early for great weather. (August is driest, Fall is wonderful). Try to stay in private guest homes when you travel, you get to meet the greatest folks and it is cheap!! ($10-$20 / night). We just had guests last night who were very interesting. If you come in the summer, bring your bike or get one here (craigslist or a friend) and enjoy some good times. I have several friends who ride Seattle to Portland or the St Helens road races. Been to a few events in Mt Tabor park and velodrome. Bike Gallery in Portland has a good network of info and cyclists. Give them a call and have them post a request on their bulletin board if you want some contacts in the cycling world. Very passionate fishermen here too. Fly Fishing, Salmon , Steelhead, Sturgeon (not fly fished ) + MANY lakes and rivers + Ocean too!

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-21-2009 at 09:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon