Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 10:32 AM

2 posts, read 4,047 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Ashland from Los Angeles. I am from northern California originally and have had it with LA. I was wondering about the Middle School and High School. On Great Schools.net they both get a 10 out of 10 rating. But on some of these threads I see that schools are closing down (I assume that they are elementary schools?) I have also read that there is a 3.5 million dollar deficit but that the Stimulus package will help that greatly.

I would appreciate any information on you and/or your child's experience in the school system. What is the classroom size, for example. How does the Oregon Shakespeare Festival connect to High School classes (what kinds of classes are offered in connection to the Shakespeare Festival)? Are there lots of AP classes to choose from for High Schoolers? Is the High School Academic as well as "Artsy?" I assume it is, but I would love any thoughts about that.

My son is interested in the Ashland High School ski team. Does anyone know where they ski and anything else bout that?

Also is there any diversity in Ashland? I know it's a wealthier area and the answer is probably no, but just wondering...

I also worry about my kids moving into a town where the kids have all grown up with each other -- do you think it would be hard for them to integrate?

What is the parent involvement at both schools? I am a writer and "at home mom," so I have time to volunteer.

Also, is there a Karate Studio in town? (My son is working towards his black belt...)

I know Oregonians don't want any more Californians invading, but we're a nice family...you'll like us! Any thoughts on the above is most appreciated...Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 01:46 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,802,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeolives View Post
I am considering moving to Ashland from Los Angeles. I am from northern California originally and have had it with LA. I was wondering about the Middle School and High School. On Great Schools.net they both get a 10 out of 10 rating. But on some of these threads I see that schools are closing down (I assume that they are elementary schools?) I have also read that there is a 3.5 million dollar deficit but that the Stimulus package will help that greatly.

I would appreciate any information on you and/or your child's experience in the school system. What is the classroom size, for example. How does the Oregon Shakespeare Festival connect to High School classes (what kinds of classes are offered in connection to the Shakespeare Festival)? Are there lots of AP classes to choose from for High Schoolers? Is the High School Academic as well as "Artsy?" I assume it is, but I would love any thoughts about that.

My son is interested in the Ashland High School ski team. Does anyone know where they ski and anything else bout that?

Also is there any diversity in Ashland? I know it's a wealthier area and the answer is probably no, but just wondering...

I also worry about my kids moving into a town where the kids have all grown up with each other -- do you think it would be hard for them to integrate?

What is the parent involvement at both schools? I am a writer and "at home mom," so I have time to volunteer.

Also, is there a Karate Studio in town? (My son is working towards his black belt...)

I know Oregonians don't want any more Californians invading, but we're a nice family...you'll like us! Any thoughts on the above is most appreciated...Thanks!
I won't be able to answer all your questions, because I don't know all the answers, but I'll tell you about what I do know.

First off, it is the elementary schools that are shutting down because average families are being priced out of the community and there just aren't enough students to support having so many schools open.

That said, it is, as you mentioned, a wealthy area and is lacking in much diversity of ANY kind. I have a little anecdote to go along with that. I graduated a few years back from Grants Pass High School and one of my best friends moved to Ashland in 7th grade. She attended Ashland Middle and High Schools, and so I have some privy info from her that's not too out of date or out of touch.

Essentially, most of the student body at AHS was the hippie/yuppie type, and if you didn't fit that you were pretty much on your own. My friend called me one time because she was just so frustrated with the people at her school claiming to be "open-minded" and "tolerant," but then they were confronted with someone different--someone who came out as gay, they would always refer to him as their "gay friend" instead of just treating him like just another friend. He wasn't their friend. He was their gay friend. He was always put on the outside. She also had complaints about how the students treated the poorer kids at the school. My impressions were that it was somewhat elitist and cliquey. Sort of an attitude like, "My parents can afford to buy more organic food than yours can so I'm better than you" or "What? You ate at McDonald's? A corporate fast food chain? Ohh... Well I actually have to go now..." Those are just some silly examples of the attitude, but there were some somewhat serious issues there.

The reality is they had no idea how to deal with people different than themselves because they were all so similar, or at least they tried to conform on the surface. I know that sort of stuff goes hand in hand with high school and small towns, but in comparison that little incident wouldn't have happened at my school (at least when I was there). At GPHS you had the preps, the jocks, the nerds, the goths, the Advanced Placement overacheivers, the emo kids, the Latinos, the poor kids, the rich kids, gays, straights, in betweens, theater kids, band kids, and so on, all co-existing with each other pretty well.

Don't let that make you think it's a terrible school or anything. From an academic perspective, AHS is a very good school. Lots of AP classes and such. It's overall a pretty good school with some really good opportunities for its students. I believe it has a very high rate of students who go on to get college degrees. They have good preparatory programs from what I understand. And your kids will very likely have a much better experience than my friend, as the population of the school is almost completely different now. And though it's largely dependent on your kids, I think if they spend at least 3 years in high school in Ashland they should be able to find their niche of friends.

You should be aware though that there is quite a bit of marijuana usage in Ashland High--I know this bit for a fact. You're not necessarily considered a stoner there just because you smoke, so it's not as much of a social taboo.

Ashland is just about right next door to Mount Ashland Ski Resort, so I imagine that's where the ski team does most of their skiing, with jaunts down to Mount Shasta in California since it's not terribly far either. But I wouldn't be surprised if they go to Mount Bachelor or Mount Hood every now and then.

Last edited by backdrifter; 05-29-2009 at 02:04 AM..

Old 05-29-2009, 01:44 PM

504 posts, read 2,171,442 times
Just a quick note. I had a friend who's kid hated AHS, and one with 2 kids in the middle school who loves it. The kids who hated it was low income, single mom, and never fit in.

I also know that almost everyone I knew who had kids who lived in Ashland were older parents, and frequently only had one kid. As a result, the kids there seem very self-centered and quite spoiled, but that'd probably be the case anywhere that has that much wealth. We were "priced out" of the Rogue Valley, and left 3 years ago for Michigan. We've been very happy with our decision.

That said, Ashland does have excellent schools. It's a neat community. And yes, I think most of Southern Oregon is now CA transplants, so you'll be in good company. The hospital I worked with had all but given up recruiting from anywhere other than CA, since that's about the only people who could afford living there anymore. Almost all of our new hires were from CA.

As to artsy, yes Ashland is very artsy, but I don't think that the Shakespeare fest has much to do with the schools, but I could be wrong. Ashalnd did pass an additional tax measure to help out it's schools, where many other communities there rejected similar proposals.

As to Karate, I don't know of any in Ashland, but I'm sure Medford has some. You're more likely to find Yoga than Karate.

Good luck. It's a beautiful place!

Old 06-03-2009, 10:00 PM

2 posts, read 5,019 times
I've lived in Ashland for 10 years and raised a daughter from 5th through 12th grade here. We're California transplants as are many Ashlanders. Some jokingly refer to Ashland as "California North" because it seems like most Ashland residents relocated from CA.

Your son will love the ski/snowboard program at the high school. Mt. Ashland lifts are only about 30 min. drive from town. (The ski/snowboard kids sell Christmas wreaths as a fundraiser every year, very sweet.) The Performing Arts program at the highschool is top notch. Even locals without kids go to the performances because they are that good. Some years, OSF (aka: the Festival, aka: Shakespeare) has parts for children that are cast with local kids. This doesn't happen every year... just check with the Festival.

The schools will welcome your involvement as a parent!!!

Class size, etc: Oregon schools are having a hard time with funding and the high school has shortened some days to 1/2 days, and have fewer school days per year. They are looking at discontinuing some programs like Auto shop. Not sure about the AP classes...but most kids I've known who go to the high school really like it.

The kids: I'm admittedly biased, but I think Ashland kids are great. I disagree with previous posts describing them as elitist or stoners. My daughter has friends that are are hippies, yuppies, artists, intellectuals, nerds, rich kids, poor kids, techies, gay, straight, bi, jocks, rednecks, partiers, straight laced, honor students, etc. and everybody seems to get along. Pot happens but hey, it was a thriving hobby when I was in high school too, so nothing new there.

Most kids aren't from rich families... sure, there are some wealthy folk in town, but lots of young families are just struggling to get by.

My experience of Ashland teens is that they are very welcoming and warm to newcomers and it's easy for new kids to make friends. It's a friendly place and integration should be no problem. The kids here seem to grow up a little slower and stay kids a little longer than California. I think it's a great place for teens!

Diversity: It's hugely lacking diversity. It's strangely white here. A bit of a culture shock coming from California.

Karate: Not sure in Ashland, but definitely yes in Medford (only 15 mins drive)

Come on up! Quality of life is excellent here... you'll be quickly spoiled by the beauty of the Rogue Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon