Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 10:33 AM

4 posts, read 22,771 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

The wife and I are planning a weeks vacation to Oregon in about 3 weeks. We have a few questions and figured this would be the best place to ask them!

1) Whats the best airport to fly into?

2) We really want to see the entire coast and plan on renting a car, where should we start and what should we see no matter what?

3) Good hotels/motels we can stay on the coast?

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 11:35 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
The best airport is PDX.

If you plan to rent a car for an extended trip you may find the rates cheaper in Washington County. Consider taking the MAX from the airport to Beaverton or Hillsboro and ask the car rental company to pick you up at the station. However, unlike airport rental locations, their hours of operation may be limited.

Were you my guest I would encourage you to take Hgy 26 west to the coast and wander south, stopping as you find interesting things. This time of year it is not necessary to make reservations, just bring along a AAA guide to help you make choices.

Depending on your pace of travel there are several highways you can choose to turn back across the Coast Range and I-5.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:50 AM

716 posts, read 2,817,530 times
PDX is really your only viable option. Any other airport will likely result in an infrequent commuter flight from PDX. (Eugene is probably the only exception)

The section of coast from Astoria to Lincoln City is a must see. Especially the loop from Tillamook - Cape Meares - Oceanside - Netarts. In that area you need to see the Cape Meares Lighthouse, Octopus tree, Bay Ocean Spit, Lunch at Roseannas in Oceanside and check out the Tillamook Air Museum. (one of the world's largest wooden structures)

There's an abundance of places to stay so just play it by ear on a daily basis. Don't bother planning a "Clark Griswald" style itinarary because you won't need reservations this time of year. The coast has it's share of Best Westerns, Holiday Inns, Shilo's, etc but I'd skip them over in favor of the little B&B's and roadside cabins. They're much more quaint.

You could also venture down to the southern coast if you have the time but you might want to spend some of your week's vacation exploring Portland and taking in some sightseeing in the Columbia Gorge with a detour up to Mt. Hood.

Have a good trip!!

Last edited by davefr; 02-19-2009 at 12:11 PM..

Old 02-19-2009, 11:56 AM

899 posts, read 2,942,532 times
Hello
If you were my guest besides a long leasurly drive down the coast at least as far as Reedsport I would plan a night at the new Moonstone Oregon gardens Resort in Silverton..I'm very partial to this place as I'm a Hort volunteer in the 80 acre Oregon Gardens..The resort over looks the garden and has a coast range view..you can wander threw one of gardens visit with the staff and just enjoy it.
Silverton is about 2 hours from Portland Int Airport and about 30 minutes off of 5..
Oregon is just so pretty now and will getting prettier as it wakes up from winter
Enjoy your visit.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
PDX

check with Priceline for cars, we usually get them fr $16 -$20 / day, but Multnomah County (PDX) (and Clackamas County have VERY HIGH rental taxes) I expect it is still your best bet, but a painful expense.

I prefer the 'west 26 rte. UNLESS it is a very clear day, then go up I-5 to Castle Rock, WA Exit and drop by the St Helens visitor center (Very near I-5).
Then back to Longview and out to Astoria. (We have stayed at "the Cannery", spendy but nice.

We have Halibut and Chips + Chowder at The Sea Breeze (at the intersection of 26 and hwy1), slightly north (1/4 mile) towards Seaside

Be sure to spend time at Ecola and Hug Point State parks. (near Cannon Beach)
Walk north (towards, Cannon Beach) from Hug Point and see the caves, water fall, and early 'stage-coach' road with good tide pools.

Manzanita is a bit more laid back (Non-tourist) than Cannon Beach

Twin Rocks has great drift wood beaches Surfside Resort - Rockaway Beach, OR has inexpensive rooms off season / midweek

Tillamook Cheese Factory for a sample of Cheese Curd. Nice quilt and pioneer museums in Tillamook.
Take '3 capes' go see Octopus Tree and mini light house
We have stayed here sandlakecountryinn Oregon Coast Bed and Breakfast, Oregon Coast Lodging pretty nice and quaint (quiet / weekday) we were the only guests.

Depot Bay is nice for being close to a ROUGH ocean

Otter Crest is a nice place to stay. (listen to crashing waves at night)

Welcome to Newport's Yaquina Lighthouses - Friends of Yaquina Lighthouses nice spot

Hatfield Science center is worth a visit

I like the tide pools in Yachats, be sure to spend time down in the area right off the 'in-town' parking, as there is usually nice tide pool stuff (winter could be less so)

the beaches and coast at Brookings (I'm personally not a fan of the dunes area, but they are a huge attraction for many)

We usually camp, so I don't have much info on lodging.

Most folks like Moe's Chowder. It's fine and they have other affordable options.

Do a search on this forum, as there are many good hints for day trips / coast

I'm partial to The Columbia Gorge, and the Beach, but there is lots to see. You might not need lodging, just keep traveling! (and hope for a full moon)

Old 02-20-2009, 01:50 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,071 times
There's allot to see in Oregon and Oregon offers some sights that are unique to the state. Driving the coast route Hwy 101 is almost a must see, if you take the time to drive the entire route (into N. California) you will not be disappointed. You'll pass by the largest coastal sand dunes in N.America. You take Hwy 199 North (south of Brookings) this will put you into Southern Oregon, Hwy 199 will take you through the Redwoods and up the Smith River gorge, it's a beautiful drive.
If you have a week to spend in Oregon, I would also suggest seeing Central Oregon (the other Oregon) there allot to see there also. I hope you enjoy your vacation and Oregon.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:57 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
Take out your map and find Crater Lake. Assuming the road is open that National Park is a must-see. From there you can drive north toward Bend (Central Oregn). Come back over the Cascades and stop at Timberline Lodge (a WPA treasure), and if you still have time retrace your steps a few miles and continue north to Hood River, drive west down the Columbia River Gorge to PDX.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:49 AM

252 posts, read 953,308 times
It is likely that Crater Lake won't be accessible this early in the year.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:40 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,022 times
Flying ?? I'm assuming you are not from CA, ID, WA or Vancouver BC.

Crater Lake is cool in a way. But I don't think it's worth the drive unless you can add in a bunch of extra little spots on the way - like Avenue of the Giant Boulders, etc..

There are so many great coastal towns, it's hard to go wrong there, even if it's raining. Vacation style - I'd suggest the whole coastline from either Astoria, Seaside or Cannon Beach, all the way down to Brookings, OR.

From the Brookings area, you can return on 199 and see the Oregon Caves, plus Grants Pass is a nifty small town. The Smith River on the first part of 199 is a gorgeous drive. The mountains are a nice drive too from Grants Pass half way back to Portland.

If you reach Brookings, Oregon, and have not seen the redwoods, it would be almost unimaginable if you did not cross over the border by 10 miles and see Stout Grove or hike Boy Scout Tree Trail in Jedediah Smith redwoods state park. Locals in that far north CA area often condider themselves part of the Pacific NW and the "State of Jefferson".

Oregon has a teeny trail with so-so redwoods by redwoods standards. But they barely compare to the ones 20 to 25 minutes south. And from the park with the massive redwoods, Hy. 199 returns up along the Smith River and to Cave Junction in Oregon near the Oregon Caves. Then Grants Pass.

I'll be on that route near April 16th, to meet someone in the redwoods area, who is arriving from overseas.

If you want to know more about the trees below - see my profile page here.

Can't post the exact location of the 1st two attached trees. But they are within 2 miles or so of the Boy Scout Tree Trail. The 3rd image is my daughter at Boy Scout Tree Trail - she also helped me find the redwood in the 2nd photo.

Attached Thumbnails
Sites to see, scenic drives to see, HELP!-redwood_700.jpg   Sites to see, scenic drives to see, HELP!-del_norte_700.jpg   Sites to see, scenic drives to see, HELP!-trish_redwood_700.jpg  

Last edited by mdvaden; 02-22-2009 at 12:56 AM..

Old 02-22-2009, 12:49 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,022 times
When I hike in the redwoods, I frequently stay at Brookings, Oregon. Or, just go to Brookings, Harris Beach State Park there, and do other stuff nearby. Here's a couple of pics from near Brookings and Gold Beach Oregon in that SW corner.

Personally, I think one of the best weekend combination trips available in the Pacific NW, is the Redwoods / SW Oregon Coast combination. Together. Like a day in one and a day in the other. 3 days between them. Words don't describe an enjoyable hike in the redwoods, then lying down by the Oregon coast at night listening to the ocean. Crescent City beaches don't compare to the Oregon beaches or Oregon coast towns.
Attached Thumbnails
Sites to see, scenic drives to see, HELP!-july17-029.jpg   Sites to see, scenic drives to see, HELP!-july17-018.jpg   Sites to see, scenic drives to see, HELP!-sptmber_4b-018.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon