Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 03:12 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,955,318 times

Advertisements

So, what is that consensus? Does Oregon have the worst tax situation? Or California?
Will we have $10/bottle beer in Oregon? Will California have a breathing tax?
Who wins? Who takes it?

Bottom line.....where do we all go? Arkansas? Oklahoma? Senegal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 03:48 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,816,376 times
Well, our state isn't broke - yet - so we win, however temporarily.

Since it's a US- and world-wide problem, I don't see moving as an answer. Plus there is a lot more to living than how much tax you pay, and I like where I live, so I've no intention of moving.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:21 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,537,162 times
So long as Oregon is controlled by liberals we have a rock solid assurance taxes and social spending will go up steadily.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:52 AM

291 posts, read 948,010 times
Speaking of the "beer tax", what prompted this idea? Does anyone have any background information? My wife and I are still planning on moving out west, and NW Oregon is a candidate. This latest discussion will not deter Oregon's chances, but I am trying to get a feel for the state's policies. My inlaws moved from Shelter Bay in WA to McMinneville, OR about a year ago. They would like us to move near them. So I am trying to decide on a location. We have not had a chance to visit the new location yet. I am looking forward to that. I would like to get first hand look at the area.

Of course I do enjoy a good beer now and then. Local brewed beers are usually my first choice. I hope that the small companies can stay afloat.

wc@h

Old 02-18-2009, 10:32 AM

15,570 posts, read 40,404,923 times
I think what prompted the idea of the beer tax is the budget shortfall that we and all states are going to have.

The state's politics are all over the map. Oregon is interesting that way.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:10 PM

291 posts, read 948,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I think what prompted the idea of the beer tax is the budget shortfall that we and all states are going to have.

The state's politics are all over the map. Oregon is interesting that way.
Thanks Silverfall. It sure does make one think. I guess all states have their own "special taxes".

I am still considering OR as a possible home. I am looking forward to visiting my inlaws in McMinneville.

Have a great day!

wc@h

Old 02-20-2009, 01:39 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
So, what is that consensus? Does Oregon have the worst tax situation? Or California?
Who wins? Who takes it?

California is way worse from a tax situation. I mean, we don't even have a sales tax in Oregon. They have both an income tax and sales tax AND they still had a huge budget shortfall. What's the deal with that?

And social services (a safety net) are a good thing. Cases in point... Norway, Sweden, Denmark. Some of the most livable places in the world and they have excellent social services and high taxes. Taxes aren't necessarily a bad thing.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:45 PM

5 posts, read 12,147 times
Default I hear ya...

I remember (as a boy), sub 5% sales tax. It will go up to nearly 10% shortly.

10%!!!!!!!!!

Ten cents of every dollar sold goes to the state -AND- 9.2% of every dollar earned (at least in my income tax bracket) goes to the state. Not to mention gas and liquor taxes. They also doubled their vehical taxes. Now CA wants to tax vet bills too!!!!

California is in shambles. I can't wait to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
California is way worse from a tax situation. I mean, we don't even have a sales tax in Oregon. They have both an income tax and sales tax AND they still had a huge budget shortfall. What's the deal with that?

And social services (a safety net) are a good thing. Cases in point... Norway, Sweden, Denmark. Some of the most livable places in the world and they have excellent social services and high taxes. Taxes aren't necessarily a bad thing.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:04 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
I heard someone on the radio call beer, alchohol and cigarettes taxes "sin tax." I guess the more you "sin" the more tax you have to pay. Since there are so many "sinners" out there, these taxes must generate a lot of money.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:45 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Who wins? Who takes it?

Having lived in Oklahoma and been through Arkansas a great deal, I do NOT recommend relocating to that region unless you like extreme heat, rednecks and a severe lack of culture.

Oklahoma has low taxes, but also zero amenities, no emphasis on education, is very ugly (aside from the extreme edges of the state.)

Arkansas is much prettier and has more hills, but you still have the dreadful heat and the rednecks.

Now, there are some great people in both states. Friendly people, and there are a couple of fine universities as well. Not everyone is a redneck, but outside of some of the more major towns, there is not much going on unless you are a big beer-drinking college football fan or you like Toby Keith or meth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon