U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 06:50 PM

4,034 posts, read 5,052,266 times
Just want to reinforce the recommendation for staying at the BW Agate Beach Inn in Newport. I have stayed there 3 different times, all off season, and the price is reasonable and the view is beautiful, especially at sunset with the light from the lighthouse flashing from the rocky outcropping in the distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 08:11 PM

5,578 posts, read 8,013,132 times
So I am so excited... Next weekend we have yurt reservations for Nehalem Bay. It's a full moon. I hope the weather plays nice!

So what shouldn't we miss while we're there? Any ideas? Where's a good casual but nice place to have warming comfort foods and good coffee?

Old 04-06-2009, 10:43 PM

2,096 posts, read 5,851,931 times
ya shouldve been here today, 76degrees in Coos Bay at noon. Lovely lovely!!!

Old 04-06-2009, 10:49 PM

It was a gorgeous day in Oregon today, wasn't it? Wow!! This whole weekend was awesome. We had beautiful weather here in Eugene, too. Can't believe the jump from the 50's into the 70's. What the heck?

I think it's supposed to be grey and rainy next weekend, when we're going to be there! Oh well... maybe we'll find some good treasures...

Old 04-06-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal2009 View Post
Since we are on the topic of the coast, thought i'd mention I hiked Mt. Neahkahnie(did I spell that right) today. This was my first coast hike and it was absolutely glorious. At times I was even overwhelmed, thinking "Am I really here, seeing this!!" I hiked through about 2 miles of old growth forest, gaining 1000 feet or so in elevation with an absolutely breathtaking view of the Pacific, the town of Manzanita and the other coastal range mountains in the distance. That may have been the view of a lifetime. And the old growth forest, I didn't know such a forest existed!

When I came down I went to short sands beach and observed the brave surfers, who were pounding the waves hard. Luckily for me, there was plenty of sunshine and temperatures were in the high 50's. All in all a glorious day and I cant wait for my next coast hike. Any suggestions.
How was that hike? Would you do it in the rain? Would you do it with kids? I think I read that the hike it 1.5 miles up and 1.5 miles down... 3 miles round-trip. How long did it take you? Sounds beautiful!!!

Old 04-15-2009, 07:12 PM

Even though I busted my ankle somehow ('tis a mystery) we still went camping this past weekend.

And even though Mr. Weatherman forecast rain and clouds and muck... it was sunny and beautiful and warm! Mr. Weatherman must have wanted the beach to himself... the cheeky trickster!

We "camped" in a yurt at Nehalem Bay. Very cozy. Very clean. Nice hosts. The campground was practically empty. It was quiet. We saw deer behind our yurt, munching. We saw owls, woodpeckers, butterflies even. Trails lead from the campground right over dunes to the beach. It was a full moon, with a mostly clear sky at least one of the nights we were there. Beautiful!

We also spent time at Neahkanie Beach. Because of my ankle, we did not hike up the mountain from the trails you can pick up from the beach. Next time!

I think my husband found... a small chunk of beeswax? Sea glass? An odd agate? Honestly I have no idea. I want to say that it's beeswax, very old beeswax, that is so old that it has hardened but is very, very light. Lighter than a rock. Lighter than the agates we've found before. I dunno... maybe it's sea glass? It's very cool, whatever it is!

There are stories of Spanish shipwrecks in that area. As well as buried treasure, and a buried black man - whose bones were said to have been found, then later only to have mysteriously disappeared. The black man's ghost is said to haunt Neahkanie.

My boys didn't sleep a wink!

We found another cool driftwood fort, or shelter. Big enough for my boys and I to sit inside. We found huge blobs of giant jellyfish. My boys chased waves. I hobbled. At times we had miles and miles of beach all to ourselves. We had lots of fun.

Oh - and I really love Manzanita! What a sweet town!

Old 04-16-2009, 08:34 AM

378 posts, read 942,025 times
So sorry about the ankle! I LOVE reading about your "adventures"!! I hope you are keeping a beach journal, with pictures. Your mysterious "beeswax" sounds very interesting. I love finding things on the beach and then thinking about how or why they got there. Every time the tide goes in and out, the "playground" brings new mysteries.

This weekend is going to be nearly perfect, weather-wise. Oh wait, that can't be...it's the Oregon coast...

You have to come back!

Old 04-16-2009, 09:25 PM

2,096 posts, read 5,851,931 times
Im so sorry about your ankle!!!! that certainly will cut down on your hiking miles! Poor girl. but sounds like youre a real trooper. Glad you still had a great time.
Ya, today was just beautiful! Started out chilly, but i shed off my sweatshirt (its all good, i had a tshirt on underneith! lol_by lunch time, and seriously concidered skipping going to get lunch and instead going to the beach to recharge....but, i was afraid as beautiful as it was here, I wouldnt go back to the job!! lol
You should post a pic. of your little find. Betcha we could help you unravel your mystery.
I love your posts about your trips here to the beach. Cant wait til you are able to live the dream here full time someday.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:29 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,284,600 times
Yikes, take care of that ankle.
About the Beeswax, it washes ashore all the time. The Spanish would ship it here from the Phillipines and downward along our Coast past South America to Europe where Beeswax was worth lots of money.

To test if it's Beeswax, try poking a hot needle into it.

Sounds like you and your family had another fun adventure on your Trip to the Coast Weekend.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:00 PM

Picasa Web Albums - bloggity - oregon coast

I just added some pics of the ... beeswax/sea glass/rock/weird treasure ... to our Oregon coast pictures. I also added three pictures of NeahKahnie beach, one which has the driftwood shelter.

SeaShelly - thank you for that tip! I'll go try that now.

My ankle is so much better! I just tried my best to stay off it as much as possible since we've been home, and rice packed it. (We put rice in old socks and keep them in the freezer to use as "rICE packs". They work great!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon