Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 02:48 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,430,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAndy View Post
Beaverton, Tigard, Tualatin would be great choices and meet all your requirements.
I second this! Portland is great, but the schools aren't up to snuff. These places let you have Portland, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 01:36 PM

3 posts, read 25,154 times
Hello all, This is my first time posting on these forums. I hope that I am not hijacking this thread, but it seemed like a good place to start. My girlfriend and I are planning a move to Oregon within the next year. We are coming from the suburbs of Philadelphia and are looking for a change. Along with most people, we would like to find somewhere with good schools (my girlfriend is a teacher), low crime, a nightlife, and lots of recreational things to do (kayaking, snowboarding, hiking, biking, etc), and having a college nearby would be helpful as I am still finishing up my degree. From what I have already read it seems as though Bend and Eugene would both fit what we are looking for, but we are always open to any more suggestions. Thanks in advance for your input.

-Dave

Old 04-09-2008, 03:56 PM

4 posts, read 27,542 times
Default Lake Oswego Deserves Better

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but I have grown up in the Portland area and my husband and I moved to Lake Oswego with our daughters to take advantage of the excellent schools about 10 years ago. We absolutely LOVE this community-- it has so much to offer! Great schools, excellent parks and rec programs and facilities, and YES-- friendly neighbors! You are correct that there is a lot of money here, but not in every situation. I live in a small 1950's era ranch house in a family neighborhood of the same and the kids all play outside and the community is fantastic.

Housing prices are unfortunately high here compared to some other Oregon communities (but if you do your research you will find that West Linn is now the highest per capita income, not L.O., and WL housing prices reflect that) but there are trade-offs in life. We choose to trade off more space or a newer home for the ammenities of a great city.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 10,719 times
Default Looking to move

Hello All,

My wife and I are looking to move to Oregon from so cal, and would like to find an area in Oregon where you might find a 2500 sq ft home for around $400,000. We are mainly looking for lots of trees, close day hiking areas, riverways or streams close to homes, and my wife would prefer to avoid the snow. Not sure if there is an area that offers all of this, but we do plan to have kids in the near future, so we would like a community that would offer good schools, shopping, and restaurants to boot.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:39 PM

114 posts, read 334,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roisnem View Post
Hello All,

My wife and I are looking to move to Oregon from so cal, and would like to find an area in Oregon where you might find a 2500 sq ft home for around $400,000. We are mainly looking for lots of trees, close day hiking areas, riverways or streams close to homes, and my wife would prefer to avoid the snow. Not sure if there is an area that offers all of this, but we do plan to have kids in the near future, so we would like a community that would offer good schools, shopping, and restaurants to boot.

Bend Oregon has a scenic river right thru town with trails in and thru town. It borders National Forest areas.

It sounds like it would best match your description.

There is a lot of day hikes that you can start right on the west side of town going up the river and also into the forest area.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 10,660 times
hi, ive never used this website before, but you were very helpful and informational. Thanks. Anyways, i was wondering if i could dig a little farther than the original question, where's the best place to live in oregon'. my family is probably going to be moving there and both my parents do real estate. do you know where the best market is right now, and what places are like ghost towns and i need to avoid. also, what are the best colleges around there? im sorry im loading you with all these questions, but a couple more okay?well, how expensive are the middle class homes? under 400,000 i hope? where are the most jobs needed. wow, im almost asking you questions like youre some kind of expert, sorry but im just throwing this out there. well, thanks appreciate your time

Old 07-16-2008, 11:34 AM

5 posts, read 18,356 times
what state do you suggest then out of the 7 for down to earth people and good neighborhoods with friendly nonmaterialistic parents?

Old 09-13-2008, 11:40 PM

10 posts, read 45,815 times
[quote=roisnem;4380569]Hello All,

My wife and I are looking to move to Oregon from so cal, and would like to find an area in Oregon where you might find a 2500 sq ft home for around $400,000. We are mainly looking for lots of trees...quote]

Looking for lots of trees to cut down for your 2500 sq ft house?

Old 09-18-2008, 09:58 PM

54 posts, read 293,792 times
Smile To Be Near Nature But Not in Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgcamper View Post
I am amazed at how many folks feel that good location should entail areas of higher development. Don't you guys desire a more natural secluded country feel? Like someplace very quiet (no distant traffic noise) and you can go outside and there is no neighbors able to see you???? Don't get me wrong I understand the reason for subdivisions, and not everyone can do the acreage thing, but don't you think if you were to move here that one of the reasons would be a less artificial environment? Just interested..... not trying to cause trouble.
Another point of view: I like to be near nature, where I can see it, but not necessarily live in the midst of it. I'm a person who feels more at ease if I have some neighbors within easy walking distance. If I should have problems and need help, I like to feel that I could make face-to-face contact with someone within a few minutes. Being out in the woods can be pretty lonely. Secondly, economics comes into play. The more land you have, the more time and money it takes to maintain it and pay taxes on it.
Ideally, I like to find a place where my neighbors couldn't see me or hear me out in my back yard, because of landscaping (natural or otherwise), but whose house I could reach within 2-3 minutes.
To each his/her own,
minorbrew

Old 09-18-2008, 10:07 PM

54 posts, read 293,792 times
Smile Woods, Trails, and Very Little Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by roisnem View Post
Hello All,

Check out the Grants Pass-Medford area in southern Oregon. It may have what you need and there is no appreciable amount of snow (unlike the Bend area). Mod cut

Last edited by Waterlily; 09-19-2008 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: no ads for real estate people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon