Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 02:08 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,379,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I've done alot of jobs in my lifetime. I'll go wherever there is employment. Besides, this recession isn't going to last, things will turn around again. Thanks for helping
Seriousiy then don't come here now. Not until that turn around begins if ever in Portland. I have a job but I too am looking in the event that my shakey company will be laying me off. I have found that the less specialized a person is, the less chances of finding work. Employers seem to want specific job qualifications; people who are specialized. If you are in the health care field, that is your best bet unless you other experience is something super.

So many people come here thinking they have so many different job experiences there will be no problem securing a job. Instead of focusing on the things you are asking about, focus on finding a job that pays a living wage first. The rest will fall into place. There is a reason you are finding it difficult to coordinate all your needs. Many people here will have a difficult time understanding why someone would give up a good job to move where there are few to none. The magic words are "I have a job lined up." If you do, you will probably recieve all sorts of good advice about the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 03:22 PM

7 posts, read 10,832 times
Before becoming a medical assistant, I was an administrative assistant for 7 years. What I'm saying is I'm not stuck in knowing only one career. I'm teachable. I'm a quick learner and I can adjust, if I have to. I know the wages are comparable to here.The reason for wanting to move...(I've been thinking about this for 3 yrs) I have a good job yes, but I've been staying at a friends for the past year because I can't get ahead. If I don't move out of California, I have a very real chance of being homeless. I've been saving my money so I could move somewhere that makes sense. In California you are either wealthy or not. Everything here is overpriced and for what? It's to hard to just enjoy life when you worry about making ends meet all the time. My son suffers because mom is stressed all the time.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:32 PM

15,539 posts, read 40,313,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysmomm View Post
Before becoming a medical assistant, I was an administrative assistant for 7 years. What I'm saying is I'm not stuck in knowing only one career. I'm teachable. I'm a quick learner and I can adjust, if I have to. I know the wages are comparable to here.The reason for wanting to move...(I've been thinking about this for 3 yrs) I have a good job yes, but I've been staying at a friends for the past year because I can't get ahead. If I don't move out of California, I have a very real chance of being homeless. I've been saving my money so I could move somewhere that makes sense. In California you are either wealthy or not. Everything here is overpriced and for what? It's to hard to just enjoy life when you worry about making ends meet all the time. My son suffers because mom is stressed all the time.
If you look at the jobs section of the papers, really the only jobs are very degree specific such as CPA's, engineers, etc. If there is a posting for another position there will be TONS of applications for it.

No one is questioning you wanting to move. We all just live here and KNOW how hard it is for people to find work. If you have enough savings to live for a year without working, then you might find something to tide you over. If you only have a few months saved up, it is very possible that you will move up here and be homeless up here. No one wants to see you move up here, transition your child up here, and then be homeless. That's all.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:53 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,379,702 times
Quote:
Then please do not come here. You will be even more stressed out at trying to find a good job that pays a living wage. Your chance of homelessness here is even greater. I know I have been there. No one wants to teach anyone when they have at least 100 other over-qualified applicants.

You are looking at this from your point of view and what you want and not the employers who get hundreds of applications for each job posted and what they want. Someone just mentioned 600 applicants for one administrative job at his company.

Things sound hard for you now, please don't make them harder. Consider Seattle if you want the PNW they are doing better. There are other places I am certain that will afford better job opportunities.

Why Portland, for heaven's sake? Why the frying pan into the fire.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:01 PM

890 posts, read 3,692,574 times
I have to agree with Minervah. Coming to Portland looking for any sort of employment is a truly terrible idea at the moment. 12.4% unemployment means the pickings are slim and unless you're first in line, your chances of even getting an interview are >< that slim.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:04 PM

279 posts, read 1,083,430 times
Quote:
I've been saving my money so I could move somewhere that makes sense. In California you are either wealthy or not. Everything here is overpriced and for what? It's to hard to just enjoy life when you worry about making ends meet all the time. My son suffers because mom is stressed all the time.
I really feel for you. I'm sure this is a really difficult situation, but just so you are not shocked when you get there, Oregon is also quite an expensive state to live in. My husband and I have lived in 7 states, and OR was the most expensive as far as groceries and gas, and housing is not cheap (the only "break" was no sales tax). So, I feel compelled to ask, are there no other places you have researched in which to live? This is a BIG country, anyone who has driven across it knows it, and there really are a lot of lovely places in between, too. And if you are looking for affordable, friendly, and full of good educational opps for your son, there a lot of other places for all of these. DH and I stopped off at St Charles, MO during one move cross country, and thought this looked like a really nice place and folks were very friendly. And ohio (esp. town where the longaberger basket plant is) is supposed to be lovely, lots of places in iowa we have heard great things about. Just want to see if you have explored anything other than the PNW. I don't mean to be hypocritical b/c I think it's beautiful in OR and I want to move back, too, but my situation is very different from yours. In no way am I trying to be judgmental, I know you are trying to do the best for you and your son, but in your shoes, I think I would not be looking to move to OR, I'd look at a region with better job opps and affordable housing, and maybe a mid-size/university town in case you would like to meet people, too? It would be really tragic if you spent $ on a move to come to OR and then not be able to find a job. Please have one lined up before you come at least if it still must be OR. Best of luck to you.

PS - just an ie. my friend's parents live in youngstown, ohio, and she told me a home in their n'hood, a nice n'hood, just sold for $26k. so there are towns out there like this.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:40 PM

716 posts, read 2,811,982 times
Quote:
If I don't move out of California, I have a very real chance of being homeless. My son suffers because mom is stressed all the time.
Your odds of being homeless and stressed out increase exponentially when you unemployed. (and you'll likely be unemployed for a long time if you make a move without a job).

If you have a job then stay put and be patient.
Once the job climate improves make the move.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:43 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,617,450 times
You might consider instead the Southwest. Texas has a better economy. Overall unemployment rate at about 6.5%, instead of the 12% you will find here. And it is warmer, much less rain!

Old 05-06-2009, 03:11 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,801,506 times
Quote:
I hear you on it being hard to get ahead in California. Do you at least have any friends or family in Oregon you can stay with until you find a job?
I may be doing the same thing in near future. I do have family there thank god, because everyone I've talked to says it's hard to find jobs up there, especially if you don't live there. But, I've been looking here in California for quite some time too, so can't be too much worse.
Good luck to you. I hope you can make it. Oregon is a beautiful state, and I can't wait to go home myself.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:19 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,801,506 times
I will add though, that if I didn't have all my family up in Oregon, and wasn't born there, I would look very hard at Colorado. I've heard some great things about that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon