Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 04:15 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,065 times

Advertisements

Check these places for RN job online listings & pay rates: Peace Health at http://www.peacehealth.org/apps/JobsOnline/ (broken link) , Oregon Medica Group at http://omgjobs.iapplicants.com/searchjobs.php , Employment Development at http://www.oregon.gov/EMPLOY/ES/SEEKER/index.shtml , the state of Oregon at http://www.oregonjobs.org/cgi-bin/st...rd2=close_date , McKenzie-Willamette Medical Center at http://www.mckweb.com/Job%20Opportun...rtunities.aspx .

If you look up student housing online sites for Eugene, Oregon, you'll see plenty of low priced housing options. But, having visited KC in MO & KS, I know for a fact you will not find huge apartments with great amenities for almost nothing here. I was shocked when I saw an apartment my son had in KC that was what you described. With an elevator & gym even. Incredible! The cost of living is just different here.

We have Lane Community College and the U of O. If you google map Eugene Oregon & look up Hilyard Street, you'll see where it has Amazon (there's an East & a West Amazon that run parallel to each other & they both intersect Hilyard) connect to it. That's a neighborhood that's a well kept secret. I live in that neighborhood!

There are apartments on Amazon & Hilyard that are what we consider inexpensive. You can find their phone numbers online through the online services that describe vacancies.

The neighborhood is fantastic cuz you have Jiffy Market with inside/outside dining & wine tasting (low brow but extremely classy at the same time, for the price!) with Dairy Mart right next door if you want biscuits & gravy in the morning. You have a laundromat next to Jiffy with great dryers. You have Albertsons right down the street. There are a few other places like Mazzi's but I haven't been able to check it all out.

You have Market of Choice & Rite Aid about 2 miles away. That same shopping center also has Perfect Look Salon, some kind of Office Max or Depot or whatever, Subway & a Hawaiian BBQ place, as well as a coffee venue with Friday evening music jamming outdoors!

Bike paths galore throughout Eugene but especially ON Amazon (biking & jogging plus occasional huge heron viewing as well because the Amazon creek is what separates the East & West streets).

The bus comes right down Hilyard & Amazon & can get you downtown to have fun with all the hipsters in less than 10 minutes, including right to the University of Oregon in under 10 minutes without transferring! Or you can get to Lane C.C. from the same bus stop with one transfer at Albertsons in about 15 or 20 minutes.

So don't go crazy worrying about housing prices. Check this all out. I'll post links for the housing if you need them. Just let me know.

Kate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 04:56 AM

177 posts, read 582,600 times
Thanks so much. That was nice of you to post. We won't be moving to Oregon now for atleast a year, but when we do I will use this information as a reference.Thank you very much!

Old 08-23-2009, 11:18 AM

Default start looking at neighborhoods now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa E View Post
Thanks so much. That was nice of you to post. We won't be moving to Oregon now for atleast a year, but when we do I will use this information as a reference.Thank you very much!
so you can get an idea of what price ranges rule in which neighborhood.

Eugene is really spread out. If you start looking at rentals, you can google the addresses & look at the satellite view of the streets. Actually I think it's a camera view made by someone driving down the street. The address finder isn't 100% accurate, but it's within 3 houses accuracy.

The google map viewer will let you see the stores, etc. that are nearby. Also, google has reviews often listed for nearby businesses... I love google.

I can post links for rental services that list prices, pet options (extremely restrictive) and vacancies. I know you don't need the vacancy info yet but you will before you know it!

Cheap rentals on the southeast side (the neighborhood I most recommend because of proximity, quietness & cleanness) get snapped up ULTRA quick. The rental spirit is extremely competitive!

Best wishes in the interim,

Kate

Old 08-25-2009, 01:11 AM

10 posts, read 29,415 times
No one has mentioned Corvallis-Albany. I am originally from Newport and I am considering moving to the Valley sometime in the future. I understand that Corvallis has less of a drug and homeless problem and it has been rated in the Top 10 by Sperling. Comments?

Old 08-25-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpl View Post
No one has mentioned Corvallis-Albany. I am originally from Newport and I am considering moving to the Valley sometime in the future. I understand that Corvallis has less of a drug and homeless problem and it has been rated in the Top 10 by Sperling. Comments?
Hi mxpl

That's interesting about the drug/homeless issue. Good heads up! Thanks.

Yeah, Corvallis/Albany area is what was recommended to me when I asked a professional higher up at work for advice on investing in RE. He said if he were me, he'd buy a duplex in that area, live on one side & rent out the other: good gain at selling. And it's a University area.

Kate

Old 08-26-2009, 12:49 AM

34 posts, read 63,902 times
Default Missouri vs Oregon

How interesting these few post have been for me to read.
I visited Oregon in 2008 (Sept) for the first time ever and I'm no spring chicken. Kids grew up and off to college - almost done with that and I needed to 'find myself' so I visited my friend in Oregon. I've never seen anything like it before in my life. Beautiful and lush. I told my husband upon my arrival back home that he has to see this place.
Well, we just got back from a 12 day trip. (Aug. 09)
Those poor rental car places will soon hate seeing me come as I put 1200 miles on that car driving him all over Portland, Astoria, down the central coast, over to Sweet Home and up to Silver Falls and then on up to Cascade Locks and Columbia River Scenic area.
Oregon has been litterally calling me to move there every since my first visit. I have never felt like I fit in here in MO just like Melissa E said~ Weird stuff! I also have the seasonal depressive disorder and fear its pretty strong as I get it here in Mo every winter really bad. I dislike the extreme bitter cold and the extreme horrid heat here. I'm sick and tired of it. It's extreme here. Hard on us and the animals.
I desire a change and some beauty and serenity would be very nice.
I am gaining insight as to what one should expect if considering a move to Oregon. Thank you to all for your wonderful input~
dr

Old 09-05-2009, 03:09 PM

well don't lose touch - if we both move to oregon we can hang out! we had to sign another year lease here, but likely next year we'll be in oregon. keep my contact info or look me up on myspace or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandyrun View Post
How interesting these few post have been for me to read.
I visited Oregon in 2008 (Sept) for the first time ever and I'm no spring chicken. Kids grew up and off to college - almost done with that and I needed to 'find myself' so I visited my friend in Oregon. I've never seen anything like it before in my life. Beautiful and lush. I told my husband upon my arrival back home that he has to see this place.
Well, we just got back from a 12 day trip. (Aug. 09)
Those poor rental car places will soon hate seeing me come as I put 1200 miles on that car driving him all over Portland, Astoria, down the central coast, over to Sweet Home and up to Silver Falls and then on up to Cascade Locks and Columbia River Scenic area.
Oregon has been litterally calling me to move there every since my first visit. I have never felt like I fit in here in MO just like Melissa E said~ Weird stuff! I also have the seasonal depressive disorder and fear its pretty strong as I get it here in Mo every winter really bad. I dislike the extreme bitter cold and the extreme horrid heat here. I'm sick and tired of it. It's extreme here. Hard on us and the animals.
I desire a change and some beauty and serenity would be very nice.
I am gaining insight as to what one should expect if considering a move to Oregon. Thank you to all for your wonderful input~
dr

Old 09-05-2009, 03:11 PM

thanks and i will do my rearch! keep in touch!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
so you can get an idea of what price ranges rule in which neighborhood.

Eugene is really spread out. If you start looking at rentals, you can google the addresses & look at the satellite view of the streets. Actually I think it's a camera view made by someone driving down the street. The address finder isn't 100% accurate, but it's within 3 houses accuracy.

The google map viewer will let you see the stores, etc. that are nearby. Also, google has reviews often listed for nearby businesses... I love google.

I can post links for rental services that list prices, pet options (extremely restrictive) and vacancies. I know you don't need the vacancy info yet but you will before you know it!

Cheap rentals on the southeast side (the neighborhood I most recommend because of proximity, quietness & cleanness) get snapped up ULTRA quick. The rental spirit is extremely competitive!

Best wishes in the interim,

Kate

Old 09-06-2009, 08:48 PM

3 posts, read 9,594 times
Good conversation here. My husband and I have decided to move on as well. The kids are all grown and in college and we've had enough of Southern California. Anyway, we went on vacation and met up with a couple of friends, who currently live in Hillsboro (nice place) just southwest of Portland. We came out of there with several places in mind; Roseburg, our number one choice, Springfield, Florence, Grants Pass, Medford, and Ashland. Best wishes to you all. Carol

Old 09-06-2009, 09:14 PM

3 posts, read 9,594 times
Good conversation here. My husband and I have decided to move on as well. The kids are all grown and in college and we've had enough of Southern California. Anyway, we went on vacation and met up with a couple of friends, who currently live in Hillsboro (nice place) just southwest of Portland. We came out of there with several places in mind; Roseburg, our number one choice, Springfield, Florence, Grants Pass, Medford, and Ashland. Best wishes to you all. Carol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon