U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2009, 01:52 PM
 
177 posts, read 399,296 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamster View Post
Culturally and politically, Ashland sounds like a good fit for you and your boyfriend. And the climate is far, far better than Portland's. As for housing, it isn't cheap in Portland either.
Yes the climate is one thing keeping that area on our list!! And the scenery is awesome. Didn't get a great first impression of the culture there ... but it was just a first impression, and could definitely change! And it was the setting of the movie Coraline ... lol!! Those parents in that movie seemed like so many we met in Ashland, too, lol!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2009, 01:54 PM
 
177 posts, read 399,296 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamster View Post
"If you want quite a bit of sunshine and don't mind the cold in winter, you might seriously consider Bend"

I've lived in Bend for 24 years and trust me, it isn't as sunny as the Chamber of Commerce wants you to believe. Take a look at the charts for sunshine in Bend and Portland on this site and you won't see much difference.

Storms roll in from the Pacific, the clouds dump rain west of the Cascades and snow on the Cascades, and then are mostly dry by the time they reach Eastern Oregon. So we don't get as much precipitation but we still get the clouds.

Bend is mostly cold, gray and dreary in the winter, and the winters are eight months long (mid-October to mid-June). So if climate is a concern to you at all, I would recommend Ashland / Medford over Bend by a mile. My wife and I are looking forward to retiring in that area.

BTW housing is much cheaper in Medford than in Ashland.
Yep I agree for sun the choice for us would be Medford Ashland area for sure!! But it's a sacrifice one way or another. We'll have to see where life takes us. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2009, 01:58 PM
 
177 posts, read 399,296 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWS View Post
Also you might think about exploring neighborhoods in Portland that function like small towns. Multnomah Village, Sellwood, and others have the feel of smaller towns but you are close to entertainment and jobs and don't have to spend an hour of your day commuting. SAD is an issue in all of Oregon, I think, because its location on globe makes it have major differences in daylight between summer and winter. Light therapy sometimes helps.
I may look into those. I just want a close community feeling, close to fun things to do and lots of culture, ect.! I will definitely be purchasing a sun lamp when we move to OR!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2009, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Cleveland Heights OH
13,327 posts, read 9,663,835 times
Reputation: 12609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa E View Post
I may look into those. I just want a close community feeling, close to fun things to do and lots of culture, ect.! I will definitely be purchasing a sun lamp when we move to OR!
Hi Melissa, just a word of advice. If you think you may have SAD when you move here, don't just purchase a sun lamp. There are special lamps designed just for that problem. I don't think sun lamps help.

I think a doctor has to prescribe SAD lamps. I know you can get them from medical supply places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2009, 05:42 PM
 
177 posts, read 399,296 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Hi Melissa, just a word of advice. If you think you may have SAD when you move here, don't just purchase a sun lamp. There are special lamps designed just for that problem. I don't think sun lamps help.

I think a doctor has to prescribe SAD lamps. I know you can get them from medical supply places.
Oh good to know that, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Eastern Oregon
505 posts, read 1,350,498 times
Reputation: 229
Just a quick note. Glad to hear you may be moving to OR. We are too (again) :-). I lived in S Oregon for many years, and while I don't think I'm THAT affected by SAD, I grew up in the deep South, and my first few winters out there were tough.

That said, the number one thing that helped "lift the fog" for me (no pun intended) was exercise. I think the best thing I did was join the YMCA and start taking regular classes. That was before I was in the hospital field, and I know how unpredictable those schedules can be, but after I started working all of those weird hospital hours, I'd started doing early morning walks at the RV mall before stores opened when I could during the winter. I had a walking buddy or 2 also. I think exercise with other people was incredibly important for beating SAD.

Good luck. You'll do FINE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Under Mount Doom
8,968 posts, read 5,538,849 times
Reputation: 4537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa E View Post
Yea, we figured LO was way too expensive for us.
I actually love country type of people - farmers are my heroes!! I think farmers are the most awesome people ever. By rednecks I just don't want too many small minded overly religious, ect. You know what I mean...Ashland was definitely not for me, though I did like it's downtown area. I didn't find Ashland diverse at all!! I like Subarus, too, but geez I saw like 60 Subarus when in Ashland! lol, everyone acted the same, it seemed, ... but of course that was just first impressions, and it has some great points, as well. Mike and I were counting to Subarus and laughing so hard!! Thanks for the reply!

I know you think this was a first impression, but having lived here for years, it is accurate. Ashland is a ghetty for exurban wealthy people from San Francisco and LA. A lot of bright and successful folks to be sure, and progressive too, but most made big $$$ in the California real estate bubble. So a whole different culture there than elsewhere in Oregon, except Bend, which is very similar, for the same reasons. You will also probably find housing in Ashland very expensive, unless you have a big inheritance or some family money. Also, there is a definite shortage of young professionals. Plenty of college kids, and retirees but young families have had a hard time buying homes here for about a decade.

On balance, it is safe, artsy, good restaurants, and excellent hiking all around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2009, 01:10 PM
 
177 posts, read 399,296 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I know you think this was a first impression, but having lived here for years, it is accurate. Ashland is a ghetty for exurban wealthy people from San Francisco and LA. A lot of bright and successful folks to be sure, and progressive too, but most made big $$$ in the California real estate bubble. So a whole different culture there than elsewhere in Oregon, except Bend, which is very similar, for the same reasons. You will also probably find housing in Ashland very expensive, unless you have a big inheritance or some family money. Also, there is a definite shortage of young professionals. Plenty of college kids, and retirees but young families have had a hard time buying homes here for about a decade.

On balance, it is safe, artsy, good restaurants, and excellent hiking all around.
Thanks for the reply. I guess first impressions usually are right. I wouldn't mind living in Medford going over to Ashland some days to shop and stuff, but just really isn't for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2009, 10:42 AM
 
Location: 'Shangri-La 'mountains west of Wolf Creek, Oregon
12,223 posts, read 8,282,735 times
Reputation: 7637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa E View Post
Thanks for the reply. I guess first impressions usually are right. I wouldn't mind living in Medford going over to Ashland some days to shop and stuff, but just really isn't for me.

Come On Up over heer to the mountains Melissa darlin'.

We'll let y'all into our Texas Hold'em Poker games...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2009, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Dayton, OH/Portland, OR
398 posts, read 795,209 times
Reputation: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa E View Post
Oh good to know that, thanks.
Hot cocoa works wonders too

Then again, Hawk's mountain Hold-em games sound like a great way to beat the Oregon winter blues as well! hehe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top