Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 07:02 PM

10 posts, read 22,017 times

Advertisements

I was considering a move to Austin Texas but I am not sure it will be for me. I will likely be somewhere around the Tualatin area for work.

I will be a Union plumber so most of my work will be commercial so I assume (not verified yet) I will be more in the cities for work.

Some questions:

What are some good apartments in the $600 range? Suggestions?

How long and how much snow do you get?

What is the bar scene like? I am into gourmet beers so quality is important to me.

What about live music? I like Death Metal and the like but I am willing to listen to other stuff

Any good outdoors activities to do near by like mountain biking, camping, and backpacking?

For the gun people, are there any good shooting ranges around or training ranges for classes? Pistol and Carbine courses.

What is traffic like?

What is crime like?

Hmmm can't think of anything else at the moment. Maybe as these questions get answered I can research and ask more I plan to visit a place/ state that looks most appealing for a week to look at things.

Thanks alot for helping
Larry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 07:31 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,821,552 times
Sorry, can't say I do have specific suggestions, but decent apartments in that range do exist in the suburbs.

Snow? Huh? What's that?

What is the bar scene like? I am into gourmet beers so quality is important to me.
We're the microbrew capital of the world.

What about live music? I like Death Metal and the like but I am willing to listen to other stuff
Death metal? Not so much. The music in Portland is kind of the opposite of that. More soft, melodic, indie folk rock.

Any good outdoors activities to do near by like mountain biking, camping, and backpacking?
It's Oregon. You can probably do those things almost literally in your backyard.

For the gun people, are there any good shooting ranges around or training ranges for classes? Pistol and Carbine courses.
Portland tends to really dislike guns. But I'm sure there are good shooting ranges to be found. Hopefully someone else can help you out there.

What is traffic like?
Getting worse and worse every year, so they say. It's not so bad except at rush hour.

What is crime like?
Oh, you know. Baltimore, just for example, has a murder rate per capita that is higher than Portland's TOTAL for a year. So basically it's not that bad.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:36 PM

4 posts, read 10,789 times
Larry,
A: Apartments or even houses for rent can vary widely based upon the area you live in. Good apartment will cost between $600 to $850.

A: Depends. Last year was odd. We got about 2 feet but it was also a 40 year storm and ODOT folks are not too bright. They don't believe in steel graders they use hard rubber instead because they don't want to lift up the "drunk bumps" on the road. Pretty stupid. The result of that is don't drive in the snow. It will be hecktic as Oregon doesn't plow the roads very much, not like other states. Typical snow is only about 2 to 3 inches at the most at a time.

A: There are a lot of nice breweries in Oregon. Take your pick.

A: I am sure you will find anything you want but will need to go to bigger cities like Portand for that type of music.

A: Tons.

A: There are a number of gun ranges but each require membership and some are more costly than others but very safe and well run. We belong to several. Oregon doesn't like to admit it but their gun laws are pretty conservative, but again it depends on what county you live in. It is a "red-neck liberal" state, if you can imagine. We are just now opening up our gunsmithing shop in Amity, Oregon and can provide more information.

What is traffic like?
A: West of the river not too bad, east of the river terrible. Closer you get to Portland the worse it is.

What is crime like?
A: Typical in some cases with gangs. There are areas to avoid just like any state. In rural areas I see more drunk driving and molestation crimes mostly.

Based upon your questions, I would say that you would want to avoid areas like Washington or Multinhoah (spell?) counties the most. Clackamas, Marion, Polk and Yamhill Counties may suit you the best.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:38 PM

We're the microbrew capital of the world.
<That is what I want to hear >
Death metal? Not so much. The music in Portland is kind of the opposite of that. More soft, melodic, indie folk rock.
<Ehh well maybe I can find something.>

It's Oregon. You can probably do those things almost literally in your backyard.
<Sweet sounds like some fun!>

Last edited by Opiy; 05-26-2009 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: I messed up

Old 05-27-2009, 03:09 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,755 times
Tualatin is in the Portland metro area, on the southwest side. $600 seems low for that area, but I don't really know.

Snow - once a year, maybe twice. More than an inch can paralyze the city for a day or two.

Gourmet beers - you will be in heaven. Look online for the Oregon Brewers Guild, the McMenamin's brewpub chain, and the SNOBs (Supporters of Native Oregon Beer).

I'm sure that Death Metal can be found in Portland - every genre can be found here. If I were looking for DM, I'd start at http://www.portlandmercury.com .

Outdoor activities are nearby and popular.

There are shooting ranges; I have no details.

There are morning and evening rush hours in the Portland area. At other times, traffic is no problem.

Crime exists, but Portland is one of the safest large cities in the US, and the southwest side is one of the safest parts of town.

Good luck!

Old 05-27-2009, 03:53 PM

This is sounding better and better on each response. Thanks for the beer and metal info. I will be looking into that asap.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:30 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,755 times
Correction - I just looked at last Sunday's newspaper, and there are several apartments listed in the Tigard-Tualatin-Sherwood area for less than $600. The same ads should be online - check Oregon Local News, Breaking News, Sports & Weather - OregonLive.com .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon