Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 08:58 AM

504 posts, read 2,175,035 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Just trying to get some info about Pendleton for a possible job/relocation. We lived in the Medford area for many years (also K-Falls, and even a summer near Lakeview). We are in Michigan now, and would appreciate any information about Pendleton, especially the schools, housing prices, culture, and climate. We also have family in Portland, so I'm familiar with that part of the state too, but frankly, I've never been to Pendleton, although DH has many times. How does it compare to some of the places mentioned? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 08:35 PM

90 posts, read 179,486 times
I grew up in Pendleton but have not lived there since 1983. I have visited almost annually though because I still have family living there. So take that into consideration since I can only speak of personal experience via growing up and via visits.

Pendleton gets all four seasons. The area is high desert so you can expect warm/hot dry summers and cold snowy winters. Although the winters, that I recall, are nowhere near as bad or as long as a midwestern one

I would classify Pendleton as a mostly conservative "red state" sort of area politically. That's not to say there isn't diversity, that's just my personal take from a liberal-leaning perspective. It's all relative right?

Largely argicultural area surrounding Pendleton. Lots of farmers ... definitely a Cowboy / Native American feel to the area, which I always thought was cool.

Depending on what you want out of the area, you will either be bored to tears or delirously happy. For me, growing up there was boring but when returning to visit, I can appreciate the clean air, the small town feel, how nice it feels to walk down main street and feel like I've been transported back in time, partake in the Blue Mountains for hiking, camping, skiiing, boating, etc ... Columbia River isn't too far away and there are lots of places all over E. Oregon that cater to the outdoor enthusiast. If you like hunting or fishing, this place would be up your alley as well.

I think Pendleton is nicely situated where one could enjoy day or weekend trips to places like the Tri Cities, Portland, or the coast. The drive along the Columbia River between Pendleton and Portland is always one of my favorite drives. The greenage and cleaniness of Oregon all over,is something to behold and something I personally miss.

No doubt you've heard of the annual Round Up? That's the biggest thing going for Pendleton in tourism. Next year is it's 100th anniversary and from what I have heard, even towns a couple hours or so away from Pendleton have hotels booked up solid in advance of this week long event. It's a pretty cool time of the year and has something for everyone, not just the rodeo. My favorite was the Native American events.

You won't find much diversity in the way of culinary culture, but if you like gourmet coffee and good wines, be sure to check out the Great Pacific Wine and Coffee place on Main street.

I'm probably not much help .. I don't have children so can't say how it is in terms of raising a family, only speaking as someone who was born there and left upon graduation. Pendleton is a nice, quiet town and people who like it quiet with wide open spaces, should find this area to be a good fit.

Some links you might find useful:

City of Pendleton, Oregon -- Welcome to the Real West!

The Pendleton Chamber of Commerce (http://pendleton.thechamber.net/ - broken link)

Denied:1up! Software ()

Pendleton Round-Up

Old 05-29-2009, 07:01 AM

Thank you! I looked at some of the sites, and it looks nice there! With kids, we don't have much need for lots of night life... quiet is good. And right now we're in a town of less than 1000. The nearest big town to us is over 30 minutes away and only has 5000 or so, but just 3-4 hours South is Detroit, and that huge population corridor between Detroit, Cleavland, Grand Rapids, Chicago, etc...

Anyway, I appreciate your response!

Old 05-29-2009, 08:38 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Well, I raised two kids in the area from '92-2000, and they can read 'n write and everything!

The schools aren't bad at all--cut above average, at least 8 years ago. Dolphinswink gave a good description and feel for the place, but I would say one thing, as not being a Pendleton native...it can be a pretty insular place. There is a somewhat puzzling arrogance from some folks about the town, especially when it come to other areas in Umatilla county. My wife called in the "Big fish/small pond syndrome". Pretty accurately, I'd say.

That being said, we did enjoy the area very much--liked the climate, and by and large, the people. There are larger populated areas not so far away for more shopping (Walla Walla, Tri-Cities, WA) and other things to do. Lots of "outdoorsy" type things to do. If you like wide open country, dry, fishing/hunting/camping, cowboys, small towns, you'll love it.

We did.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:07 AM

Thanks for your response. We do like the outdoors, and even after moving from Oregon almost 3 years ago, DH still goes back there every fall to hunt elk in that NE corner of the state. I suspect that's a primary reason he wants to move back. He's been to Pendleton many times, but I've only been once, and just drove through. Good insight though, thanks.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird39 View Post
Hi there,

Just trying to get some info about Pendleton for a possible job/relocation. We lived in the Medford area for many years (also K-Falls, and even a summer near Lakeview). We are in Michigan now, and would appreciate any information about Pendleton, especially the schools, housing prices, culture, and climate. We also have family in Portland, so I'm familiar with that part of the state too, but frankly, I've never been to Pendleton, although DH has many times. How does it compare to some of the places mentioned? Thanks!
Hi my name is Rhonda and I am re-locating too Pendelton soon, the weather is warmer there and it will be much better for my old fifty-two year old bones.
My mom lives in Baker, City so it's only a hour and a half too see her and my brother. My sister and family live in Prineville, Oregon and it is fairly close well about 5 hrs away not sure yet? I have not spent a lot of time in Pendelton, but I am going too, I am a student and am transffering too Blue Mountain CC for the summer term there. I have always wanted too go to the Pendelton Round up and will be going this year so happy God bless and good luck figuring out where you are going too re-locate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon