U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-08-2009, 06:06 AM

22 posts, read 38,653 times
Default Where to live in or near Corvallis? Please help.

Hello -
I apologize for the re-post, but I decided to edit my thread. My husband and I may be moving to the Corvallis area as he has been offered a position at OSU. The area sounds just lovely and I am wondering if anyone can shed some light about where to live in Corvallis or the surrounding area. Here is what we are looking for:

- Close to OSU (no more than a 30-min drive, would prefer a 5-15 min drive). Husband is new faculty at OSU.
- Will be looking for a "new-er" rental home. We are in our early 30-s, looking to start a family, but we are not ready to purchase a home yet.
- Quiet, family-friendly neighborhood
- No more than 20 minutes from a shopping mall or say, a Target and like places.

I appreciate any info that you are willing to share. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-08-2009, 03:12 PM

454 posts, read 1,470,208 times
I would like to know as well, so somebody answer LOL

Unread 06-08-2009, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 6,223 times
NICE house rentals are very hard to find in Corvallis. Try craigslist or property managers, but don't set your sights to high!

Unread 06-08-2009, 07:09 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,526,047 times
Anyplace more than 30 minutes from OSU will place you well outside the city limits of Corvallis. One of the nice things about Corvallis is that it is almost homogeneously middle to upper-middle class and you don't have the some-good-places, some-not-so-good-places scenario that you find in most bigger cities. The area north of Walnut and the Witham Hill area are both popular places with OSU faculty, but really, there are good neighborhoods nearly everywhere.

Unread 06-09-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
Anyplace more than 30 minutes from OSU will place you well outside the city limits of Corvallis. One of the nice things about Corvallis is that it is almost homogeneously middle to upper-middle class and you don't have the some-good-places, some-not-so-good-places scenario that you find in most bigger cities. The area north of Walnut and the Witham Hill area are both popular places with OSU faculty, but really, there are good neighborhoods nearly everywhere.
Thanks, All. I have been doing some preliminary searches for rental homes in the Corvallis area and haven't found too much. Any help is appreciated. Is Albany about a 15-20 minute drive to OSU? Are there any areas that you would recommend in Albany?

Thank you again.
Denise

Unread 06-12-2009, 03:51 PM

540 posts, read 1,265,460 times
My family and I moved here almost 8 years ago (I was going to a faculty position at OSU). We looked for a rental home, as we were only going to be here 2 or 3 years. Couldn't find anything that we wanted to rent - until we got to a price point where it was worth it to buy. We ended up buying a home in Albany. When I retired in 05 (and started a career in real estate) we decided to stay right here...because we had really come to like the area.

Depending on your price range - there ARE more rental single family homes available in Albany than in Corvallis - look in neighborhoods like Spring Meadows/Brookfield/Meadows at Oak Creek on the SW part of town - easy commute (I did it almost every day for 4 years...about 15-20 minutes is correct). The other place people like is North Albany (actually in Benton County) - and a straight shot on Highway 20 into Corvallis (still about 15-20 minutes to OSU because of traffic and single lane highway).

There was a great thread a while back that did a compare and contrast of Corvallis vs. Albany...it had some really good perspective. My family and I have always been glad we chose Albany - but some folks that I just helped relocate here from Virginia fell in love with Corvallis and felt like Albany wasn't right for them. So, there is that element (personal taste).

Good luck!

DaveP

Unread 06-13-2009, 09:54 AM

13 posts, read 27,392 times
We're renting here in Corvallis just north of HP (Hewlett Packard). The neighborhoods around here are very friendly - lots of culdesacs with kids playing in the front lawns and streets. The houses are newer - built around early 1990's. There is a city bus stop at the end of our street. It's very easy to get around town and over to the campus from where we live.

We are currently looking for a home to buy and hope to find one by the end of summer - which would mean that our rental would become available. What is the rental price range you are looking for? How soon do you need the rental?

A good resource for looking for rentals is the local paper online: Corvallis Gazette Times: Your source for news in Corvallis, Oregon

That's how we found our rental.

Unread 06-23-2009, 02:54 AM

587 posts, read 231,768 times
Albany gets my vote. I worked in Corvallis for years, and commuted either from Lebanon, Albany, or Philomath. Then we moved to Corvallis, and I found I much preferred the commute. Rent and houses usually go for less and there are some very nice areas.
Albany has a Target and Costco. Lebanon has a WalMart Super Store, and for serious shopping I'd do a Salem or Eugene trip, about 30 miles~plus or minus.
All of the highways are great around here, no problem getting around! You are moving to a great area with tons of things to do. Mountains to the east and ocean to the west.
Welcome to the Willamette Valley!

Unread 06-23-2009, 10:22 AM

Thanks for all of the helpful information in this thread. I've found some contact information for property management companies in the Corvallis/Albany area and have been scoping Craigslist. Thanks for the pointers for areas to live w/in Albany and Corvallis. The area sounds beautiful. If anyone knows of any property management companies that you would recommend for single -family homes (or those companies to stay away from), I would be most appreciative.

Thanks again.

Unread 06-23-2009, 04:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,871 times
Corvallis rentals can be difficult to find. I would say that if you want some peace and quite you will need to be at least 5-7 blocks off campus. Look in the Timberhill district up Kings Blvd or at Willamette Landing in Southtown. Anything 30 minutes away will take you outside of town. Rentals are also very expensive. I would say that if you can find a nice rach for around 200K just buy it because the mortgage will be about equal to your rent. Infact there is a nice house in a quiet neighborhood off off 11th & garfield I saw the other day for 209.
The nearest shopping mall & target are 10 miles away in Albany. There is a Fred Meyers however not far from campus on Kings. Downtown by the riverfront is super cute!
I know some people have said they like Albany, but I wouldn't move there unless I could be in North Albany..., Albany has got a real run down feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon