U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-24-2008, 11:42 AM

2,096 posts, read 5,642,930 times
One of my best friends, born, raised, married in SoCal.
Then, due to jobs, she, her husband, and their kids moved here to Oregon.(bout 10yrs ago) Luckily for me, right next door to me!
They fit right in, found jobs just fine, made plenty of friends and love it here. Had the option to move back a few years back and said "ABSOLUTELY NO!!!"
much of your experience is going to be how you look at it, treat others, view your move. If youre expecting sunshine and clear blue skies 9months of the year, with maybe 3 or four days every 3 months of rain, you wont be happy here. If you go about telling people how wonderful So. Cal is and how much Oregon sucks in comparision, youre not gonna make a lot of friends. If spending the day surfing in shorts, laying on the beach, or doing Disneyland every weekend, you'll probably be bored here. But, if you like to hike/bike/fish/swim/rockclimb/boating/ski/etc. you'll probably be happy.
Im several genarations native Oregonian, and I'll admit it now, besides my cliffside beach hikes, Im really not an outdoor person. When living in the Portland area, I could spend much happy time shopping, even if it was just wishful shopping. Theres some lovely shopping around here!!!
If it rained here as much as some people say, all our beautiful flowers/trees/shrubs/etc. would be washed away....we'd be living in a huge mud pit. Ya, it does rain here more than it does in SoCal. But come on, we're not under some gray dark cloud for 9months. We'd all die. Or look like the creature out of that movie, "The Decent". lol
truly, if you dearly love So. Cal, then Oregon is probably not the place for you. No big deal. No harm, no foul.
But for some, boy is it terrific living here.
Tiffany (one of the MANY friendly native Oregonians. )

Old 08-24-2008, 04:29 PM

314 posts, read 526,593 times
Tiff-
I've said before and I'll say again, I love reading your posts! You're what I call a reality-based optimist. I read all the negative stuff, too. Ya gotta weigh both points of view and glean what might be useful in ones own situation, but your posts and those of Oregonbeachlover are bright spots in my return visits here. Thanks for sharing your insights.

Your Chamber of Commerce needs to put you on retainer.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:25 PM

LMAO!!! Thanks Mollyblythe. Youre awesome with the warm fuzzies!
I love where I live. I love MOST of Oregon. (not all, im not so fond of Irrigon/Hermiston)
I know theres some downsides to living here, but aren't there downsides to pretty much every city/town in America? I don't think we live in a perfect place, but dang its close enough for me! I grow weary of those who keep only going over and over and over again on the negatives, exaggerating them to ridiculous fantasy. Heck, theres some posts here that I dont even recognize my home state! I read em and think "Dang, but that sounds like hell on earth, people attacking you for money every time you turn around, nobody to help you, just glaring at you with hate instead, and to top it off, youre getting poured on relentlessly for almost a full calender year! YIPES!!!" lol
then of course, I have to read those sad sad words "THOSE NATIVE OREGONIANS" and how terribly rude and unwelcoming we all are. sigh......that just makes me plain sad! darn it!
but hey, I say, come visit, gimmie a holler, I'll take you about, and we'll have a good ole time. Ive gotten 2 of our posters here, and they love it. (no, they are NOT hidden in my basement, they both have their own happy homes. lol )
Oregon, not for everyone, some will be plain ole miserable here. But many others sure are content to be living here.
Tiff

Old 08-24-2008, 10:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,277 times
Default Reply to Silkyred

Silkyred don't overlook eastern Oregon. A little more snow perhaps, but beautiful to live in.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:14 AM

13 posts, read 22,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
Merkin: I sure wish you'd leave Oregon and post somewhere else.
Why are you and some of your 'friends' here so closed minded? If my point were to show that the "Native Oregon" stereotype were true... I would have to say thank you. Of course I am not trying to prove anything, I am merely giving those reading this thread and possibly contemplating such a life-changing event, another view.

I know my posts are not all cheery and seem gloom, but that is the majority of my Oregon experience -- sorry if that offends you (not sure why it would, but...). Just to remind you the topic is: Moving from Southern California to Oregon. Nowhere does it say or imply that we have to constrict our comments to appease the ignorant and/or closed-minded.

I would think some of you would encourage my posts -- do you really want my type as your neighbor? Which leads me to conclude:

I am pretty sure that the majority of those who read this and get upset are pretty new to Oregon as well -- just a thought... And by 'new', I mean < .5*age.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:31 AM

378 posts, read 901,032 times
mollyblythe, thank you so much for the compliment too. Tiffela, EVERYTHING you post is right on! Your insights and commentary are excellent and very accurate.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:39 AM

Merkin_Ball,
Please show me in my posts where it is that Im proving to be such a terrible "native Oregonian" what the heck is it that Im saying that is showing to be so awful and offensive? Ive tried all my life to be a friendly, welcoming, happy person, and I honestly don't see where being a native Oregonian is so terrible. Heck, my best friend,and my step Mom were both Born/raised So.Cal. and thats certainly never been an issue.
why are you lumping so many people into one pot, using native Oregonian as such a negative term?

Thanks OregonBeachLover, I appriciate that! I didnt think my post was all "pollyanna" and "Everyone come to Oregon cuz its bliss for all" sigh....whaddya do? thanks again.

Tiff

Old 08-25-2008, 01:42 PM

299 posts, read 752,172 times
After reading these inspiring posts, I just have to add my 2 cents. I lived in Oregon for over 25 years and was glad to move but not because of the spanish speaking people or the red necks or the rude Oregon people or the awful drivers or the weather or the influx of California people or the California attitude or the real estate or the income tax or the liberals,etc. but because I needed a change. I needed to grow. This is a free country and every one is intitaled to their opinion but when some one starts a thread with a question for help what is this with all these rantings and ravings??? I fail to find this helpful and what kind of people are we if we can not offer a helping hand to some one in need??? What is with the attitude??? How can one judge a whole state from living in one town??? All places/cities/areas of states are unique and different. We moved to Washington--Seattle area 4 years ago and if people think Oregon is gray then they have not been here. Stats show we beat western Oregon for gray. If people think Oregons property tax is bad, then they should move here as we pay way more. If people think that Oregon people are unfriendly, then they should read the Seattle freeze thread. If people think that foreign languages are spoken alot or that their are alot of illegals, then they should try here---one can go into a store and shop for 45 minutes until they hear the English language. As far as liberal goes---Oregon has nothing over Washington. As far as rednecks go---they are everywhere. As far as crime and drugs go, some places are worse than others just like here. As far as housing goes, I do not think anywhere in Oregon can beat this area where the average house in King county sells for $450 thousand. No, I do not plan on moving back nor do I plan on retiring here but please note that I was a transplant in Oregon and most of the negative comments made about the state, I did not find to be true. The only California remarks I ever heard were the ones made by California transplants complaining about the area and the people and thus you get, if you do not like it leave. Their is alot I do not like about here but I am concentrating on the good as in every where, their is good. Attitude is every thing and you will not get a smile or a helping hand if you do not give one. So for those of you planning on moving to Oregon---it has alot to offer and is a great place. Pick your city to match your needs. Check out the city-data stats and enjoy your new home. Happiness is what you make it and in every cloud their is a silver lining. For those who insist on being negative--I am truely sorry that you are so miserable that you have to try and make others feel this way--may be you should get a life??? A special thank you to all of you who tried to make helpful suggestions to the original question asked and I hope the person who asked it was not too disappointed in the responses.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:53 PM

378 posts, read 901,032 times
Tiffela, I enjoy your posts, because, no, they aren't "pollyanna-isk", you just state the facts dead on. I always agree with exactly what you post regarding the coast. I get SO TIRED of the doom and gloom posters. Egads, I don't get it.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:42 AM

13 posts, read 22,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
Merkin_Ball,
Please show me in my posts where it is that Im proving to be such a terrible "native Oregonian" what the heck is it that Im saying that is showing to be so awful and offensive? Ive tried all my life to be a friendly, welcoming, happy person, and I honestly don't see where being a native Oregonian is so terrible. Heck, my best friend,and my step Mom were both Born/raised So.Cal. and thats certainly never been an issue.
why are you lumping so many people into one pot, using native Oregonian as such a negative term?

Thanks OregonBeachLover, I appriciate that! I didnt think my post was all "pollyanna" and "Everyone come to Oregon cuz its bliss for all" sigh....whaddya do? thanks again.

Tiff
Sorry Tiff,

I think you just threw yourself into that one. Nowhere, and I mean nowhere, did I include your name or even refer to you. But as I started to read through some of your posts I noticed a peculiar thing; you and OregonBeachLover are friends. Hmm... Do you feel invited to attack me because your internet friend got their feelings hurt at some point, albeit not by a malicious attack?

I come here to give my experience, I have apologized many times if it is not what you want to hear, but damn(!), it is my experience. I know that I have a right not to post just as much as I have a right to post. As I stated, this thread is about moving to Oregon from Southern California, and that is what I am talking about. You would think that as bright cheery Oregonians you might want to help a person to experience Oregon in a better light, and possibly agree that Oregon can be tough on some, but all I have received so far is an undaunting attack on my experiences. Now, if you are half-educated, you would have noticed my use quotation marks when referring to "Native Oregonians", I will leave it to you to stop being so ignorant and figure that one out on your own. For those that would like this to be a full-of-roses forum – sorry, life happens. As I stated earlier, I would have thought some of you would appreciate my experience in hopes that others would not make the same mistake.

I still can not get over the fact that you a few of you are telling me to move and putting me down knowing that there are hundreds more just like me pondering such a move; social irresponsibility?

Last edited by Waterlily; 08-26-2008 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: personal attack & trolling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon