U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-01-2006, 08:52 PM

17 posts, read 41,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroAngel View Post
[LEFT]I don't think there's anyplace in Oregon worth moving to. I too came here from Southern California and wish I was back home! I hate Oregon, it's so gloomy & filled with "back-wood" hicks and uneducated cowboys, not to mention all the spanish speaking mexicans (guess they're everywhere now though)! Anyway....good luck to you. [/LEFT]
Go home!
I am from San Diego, Klamath Falls is the 1 st place that I had two teenage boys greet me with a hello on a walking path. I was surprised and pleased.
It is cold in the winters and as I get older... I rather FREEZE to death than go back to the "Big City Life" San Diego was a great place to grow up. But all I miss is the weather. Great trade off !
Klamath Falls Resident for 15 years.
At least the "back wood hicks" would welcome you with a smile and a hello.
Again, I say if you don't love it leave it, to those that do!
Go home city slicker and shut the gate behind you!

Old 09-01-2006, 10:53 PM

622 posts, read 1,958,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
...As for the backwood hicks, Im sure our local Walmart has a fair share. None are armed though, and I do count that as a blessing. There is a local one I know, and he and his family bring us an abundance of fresh fruits and veggies from their garden, free of pestisides and other unnatural substances. He does this out of the goodness of his heart and his want to share with his neighbors/friends. Should I shun him though, since he doesnt have a college education? He drives a second hand car, has some dents in it, he favors jeans and sweatshirts, and I doubt he owns any article of clothing that cost him over $100.00. Does this make him less of a person?
Tiffany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarysher16 View Post
Go home!
I am from San Diego, Klamath Falls is the 1 st place that I had two teenage boys greet me with a hello on a walking path. I was surprised and pleased.
It is cold in the winters and as I get older... I rather FREEZE to death than go back to the "Big City Life" San Diego was a great place to grow up. But all I miss is the weather. Great trade off !
Klamath Falls Resident for 15 years.
At least the "back wood hicks" would welcome you with a smile and a hello.
Again, I say if you don't love it leave it, to those that do!
Go home city slicker and shut the gate behind you!

I like you guys!

Now I know I will fit right in in Oregon. I am constantly defending my "backwoods" northern Michigan roots to my fellow Detroiters. I have to get out of this hellhole city. I can't live among these people who don't smile at each other as they walk by, who judge others based on material possessions, and look out only for their best interests.

Everyone talks about jobs, economy, weather, etc on these forums. All I want is just a place where I can be part of a contributing member of a real community, a place with forward thinking, a place with beautiful surroundings, a place with down-to-earth people.

I am scared, though- scared that there may be people who won't welcome me because I am a relocator.

I understand the situation all too well, as the area I am from is experiencing much the same thing- people are flocking there and natives are trying to cope with the change- they just want to keep there home beautiful as it is!

And I'm all for that! I want to move to Oregon because of what is beautiful about it.

I hope I am welcome in Oregon!

Old 09-02-2006, 12:12 AM

750 posts, read 1,859,011 times
I suppose everyone who relocates to a new area will have a distinct experience colored by their own perceptions and backgrounds. But I just wanted to interject this: My family and I moved to Southern OR in 2004 (lived & worked in Medford and Grants Pass) from New Mexico. In our short time there (had to move back in 2005 due to some family medical issues) we met some of the most genuinely nice and incredibly generous people we have ever had the pleasure to meet. Not once were we made to feel like outsiders, although some folks had to be reminded that our former home state was not a part of the country located directly to the south. We fell in love with the natural beauty of the area as well, but it was the people that truly made our experience there so memorable.

Now if you could just do something about those skyrocketing housing prices...

Old 09-02-2006, 02:32 AM

3 posts, read 9,098 times
Default Try the Portland Metro Area

Every place has it's ups and downs. For instace, the rain. It doesn't get too hot, or too cold compared from where I moved from. The Summer, the Highs are in the Low to upper 80's On Average. There were places during this summer that got up to anywhere from 103-108 depending on where you lived. Also it's really dry during the summer, no worries about Monsoon Rain during August. Summer here usually ends in late Sept, early Oct., Just depends on the year. Then the Rain season starts, and usually ends in Mid to Late May. Winter can be cold and very rainy, and Temps do get below freezing, but it's rare. Also, it snows on a average of once every 3 years, except for places like the West Hills, which is at 1000 ft. we get a freak Ice Storm around once every 10-15 years. But other than that it rains all winter long. It's very consistent Drizzly rain all day, and it's funny, we actually have less percipitation than the Bay Area does Annually. Overall, alot of People from So. California move in this area, expecially in Vancouver, WA which I live. You might want to try Vancouver. The living is better, no State Income Tax in WA, Property tax is lower than OR, also, you can shop in OR and pay no sales tax. So it works both ways. Schools in OR are very underfunded, and having problems. SO I recommend Vancouver, WA

Old 09-02-2006, 10:08 AM

5,031 posts, read 7,768,232 times
Default Mediterranean climate

"Also this is a fact. Southern Oregon is the only area in the ENTIRE US that has Mediterranean climate (it's true). Southern California's climate does not. It's surprising to believe but it's true thanks to the current"

QuintusCinna, how do you calculate a mediterranean climate?

My understanding is that Medford/Rogue valley and a tongue along the coast from Gold Beach to Brookings have elements of a mediterranean climates. Hot summers inland and above freezing winters along the southwest coast. However, number of rain days and length of rainy season in Oregon are not "mediterranean" characteristics as experienced in San Francisco/Monterey.

Southern California is essentially dry subtropical like the southern Mediterranean/Casablanca/Tripoli/Cairo. A decidedly mediterranean climate!

Old 09-02-2006, 10:18 AM

31 posts, read 117,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Oregonian View Post
As far as Im concerned all of you Californians can all go home. You have turned Oregon in to a little LA, driven up the price of property sky high and brought all of your problems with you. Go back to Fairy land.
Hahahahaa..I agree 100% with ya Native. I just love all the cali-ians moving to Oregon and complaing about it (NOT)...but yet they still stick around and keep their mind sets and attitudes with them. I love Oregon. It used to be a Peaceful place to be...no it's fast paced, rude and arrogant in some places...thanks to the cali's. Go back to Yuppieville.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:47 PM

To the "Natives" who want us to all go home, We still love you, you are what make the spice of life here in Oregon.
My husband and I have not collected one penny from the welfare system in the 15 years we have been here, we pay into the economy and we enjoy the many blessings here, such as the most beautiful coast line we have ever seen. I must say I have felt out of place, but as years go on I have gotten use to characters of all kinds, because those are the folks God has given me to care about and deal with in this wonderful states. Ashland has the crazy but colorful tie dye group, that gives a people watcher like me something new to see. I was rude earlier to some one who said they hated it here. I apologize. Because after reading what the "natives" said I know how you feel.
To the Native, you will never find this long time ago Cali girl rude or arragant or any other of the comments you made. And I hope some day to run into you so I may prove it.
Take care to you all and may God bless.
Sherry
Klamath Falls. Or.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:52 PM

Smile I like you guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
I like you guys!

Now I know I will fit right in in Oregon. I am constantly defending my "backwoods" northern Michigan roots to my fellow Detroiters. I have to get out of this hellhole city. I can't live among these people who don't smile at each other as they walk by, who judge others based on material possessions, and look out only for their best interests.

Everyone talks about jobs, economy, weather, etc on these forums. All I want is just a place where I can be part of a contributing member of a real community, a place with forward thinking, a place with beautiful surroundings, a place with down-to-earth people.

I am scared, though- scared that there may be people who won't welcome me because I am a relocator.

I understand the situation all too well, as the area I am from is experiencing much the same thing- people are flocking there and natives are trying to cope with the change- they just want to keep there home beautiful as it is!

And I'm all for that! I want to move to Oregon because of what is beautiful about it.

I hope I am welcome in Oregon!
Welcome, and here is a smile , a hug or hand shake, what ever you space allows!!!
May your day and mine be blessed.

Sherry
Klamath Falls, Or

Old 09-02-2006, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 4,315 times
Default qwitcherbitchen

Gosh, housing prices wouldn't be what they are without greedy sellers/realtors. Californians don't set these prices, Oregon home sellers and their conspiring realtors do. So quit blaming the people looking for a better life and let's point the finger of blame where it really belongs. The people moving up from Cal have probably wished for years they could get out of the hell hole and now that they can make a break, can you blame them? If we want a true quality of life in Oregon the better thing to do would be welfare reform ( like in let's get rid of it!) and harsher drug laws. Welcome wholesome families, retirees wherever they come from! ~deedoo

Old 09-02-2006, 05:04 PM

344 posts, read 1,241,509 times
Oregonians are blaming Californians for moving to Oregon and driving up the cost of real estate. If that is true, Oregonians have to blame lower prices on Californians leaving the state.

Prices of real estate up or down are due to interest rates, which sets the affordability of housing. Lower interest rates allow you to buy a bigger house for more money. Higher interest rates reduce the number of buyers and the amount of money, usually 1/3 of gross income that can be spent on housing. The government also controls the money supply, which controls the amount of money banks have to lend. Lastly, local supply of and demand for housing plays a roll in the price of housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon