U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-18-2009, 09:57 AM

177 posts, read 412,797 times

Advertisements

Dangit I am so dang confused about what to do. I am here in MO, and we realllllly want to get moved somewhere by mid August so Mike can start college. Now I pretty much gave my notice at work cause I'm tired of being taken advantage of as a nurse, errrr. So, I need to find a new job soon.
Anyway..... We were really wanting to move to Astoria (we recently vacationed to Oregon and had a few favorite places) and Mike could go to school there for a couple years, but I'm thinking with that place being so small it'll be hard for me to line up a job and a house/apt at the same time. I'm an RN and already applied for my license in Oregon, which is processing now.
All this stuff I'm hearing about SAD disorder there is making me have second thoughts cause I know I get it sometimes. Has anyone ever tried sunlamps??? Do they really help fight this disorder off?
Also, if we can't line things up in Astoria quick enough (like I need a plan within a couple weeks!), I'm wondering .... what part of the state is where the sun starts coming out??
It is still pretty gloomy in Salem, right?? That sounds like an ok place for us. I am also wondering .... what is the neatest small town right by Salem. Preferrably it wouldn't run right together with Salem but would have a little seperatness from the city .... but maybe like 5 or 10 miles from? Please throw out some names and why you think they are the best small towns next to Salem? Thanks =).
I'm so confused and now RUSHED . Oh, it seems like Salem has the cheapest apartments I've seen on Craigslist for what a person gets. I wonder why?
Anyway, I'm really wondering .... where does the sun start coming out?
Also is Medford that bad? I think it's sunny there, right? We didn't even drive through there on vacation, but we drove by it and the city seemed to sit in a pretty area. I don't know ... =(
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 10:11 AM

11,026 posts, read 18,997,573 times
I live in Salem and the cutest town would be Silverton. Great hospital too.

The cheapest apartments might not be in parts of town where you'd want to live. The police have crime maps online for Salem at http://www.cityofsalem.net/Departments/Police/HowDoI2/CrimeStats%20Library/May%202009%20Statistics.pdf (broken link) look at the location of the apartments compared to the crime map.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:49 PM

279 posts, read 726,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa E View Post
Also is Medford that bad? I think it's sunny there, right? We didn't even drive through there on vacation, but we drove by it and the city seemed to sit in a pretty area.
No, Medford is NOT at all bad. It's a bit blue collar, which I find nothing at all wrong w/, but I don't think it is necessarily as open-minded/counterculture on the whole as the Portland, Corvallis areas. I think the people in Medford were friendlier than those in Ashland, but in general I think a lot of Oregonians are insular (esp. compared to other areas of the country) and tend to keep to themselves.

The pluses of Medford, and the primary reason why my husband and I are moving back to the Rogue Valley, definitely include the weather and the proximity to great outdoor activities that we like to do (his thing is cycling, mine is yoga, and we both love hiking and rafting). I think this is the most spectacular climate we've ever lived in and we've lived around the country: mild winters* and heavenly summers with no humidity (compared to the east). Low crime - I know it's gotten the moniker "methford" over the years, but we aren't looking to score any, and it was never an "issue" for us. If we had kids, I may feel a little differently about the drug thing, but we don't and we don't plan on having them despite being in our mid 30s.

We also love live music and loved going to Jacksonville for the Britt Festival. There's a outdoor concert venue in Medford, too, that is really nice. Both are very scenic, esp. Britt in the hills of Jacksonville. I personally liked a lot more about Medford than I disliked and wish we had spent more time there. We moved to Ashland b/c my husband commuted down to northern CA, and I think Ashland is overrated (I noticed you didn't care for it, either). I'm not really into plays, so the Shakespeare Festival didn't do anything for me, but some of the shops were cute and it is a walkable town. We like the restaurants in Medford and Ashland, too.

It's hard to really nail down all that you want in one particular place in Oregon (or anywhere for that matter!) Better to find most of what you want and give it a chance ... you might really like it. Best of luck. Hope you are able to find a nursing job. Try Asante, they are one of the big hospitals in the RV.

*we lived in Medford from Dec. 05 to March 06 and had 2 mornings w/ a snow dusting that melted by afternoon. Ashland is a bit colder and got snow more often, but it still melted pretty fast. We were seriously considering moving to Bend when we came back out, but the 6+ month long winters scared us off - that and the fact that my husband can't road bike on the roads in the winter in Bend b/c they put this crushed lava rock on the roads that would surely pierce bike tires within seconds.

Last edited by Nina-in-Ashland; 06-18-2009 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: more info. added

Old 06-18-2009, 04:23 PM

cool thanks i will look into silverton. =)

Old 06-18-2009, 04:26 PM

nina - hey thanks for the info. you're right. no where will be perfect. i've just gotta pick before it's to late and we get stuck here again this fall so mike can be in school. the astoria hospital isn't calling me back =(. maybe it's a sign. i'm not thinking either salem or medford and doing my research tonight. i guess nothing's permanent. i'll try a place for a while, and can always move later if we find something else.
i feel lost right now and am having a bad day =(.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
nina - hey thanks for the info. you're right. no where will be perfect. i've just gotta pick before it's to late and we get stuck here again this fall so mike can be in school. the astoria hospital isn't calling me back =(. maybe it's a sign. i'm not thinking either salem or medford and doing my research tonight. i guess nothing's permanent. i'll try a place for a while, and can always move later if we find something else.
i feel lost right now and am having a bad day =(.
Thanks for the FR

No worries, it is overwhelming and stressful moving to an area where you've never lived and know only each other! I met a great girl out there who I remain good friends with through my realtor, and I met some really nice people at yoga class. I think if you get out there and get involved in some activities, you'll make friends. And sure, you can always move again if it's not for you. Even though we feel that we know medford reasonably well, we'll be renting for at least 1 yr., possibly 2. Nothing wrong with "trying a place on" to see if it fits. BTW, I did take a class at SOU and really liked my instructor - if your hubby needs a school, SOU has a good rep.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:33 PM

thanks. i will need to get into some activities to make friends .. that's why i hope there are activities anywhere we go. it's tough to meet people these days ... if it's not in a bar, and i'm not into hanging out in bars a lot. i need to just quit stressing and make the change. i put some apps in in forest grove today too and hillsbro. don't know about that rain ... ugh, but we'll see. i'm going to look at medford hospital, too. i think i need to learn yoga, btw! if you move there maybe we can be friends haha

Old 06-19-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
thanks. i will need to get into some activities to make friends .. that's why i hope there are activities anywhere we go. it's tough to meet people these days ... if it's not in a bar, and i'm not into hanging out in bars a lot. i need to just quit stressing and make the change. i put some apps in in forest grove today too and hillsbro. don't know about that rain ... ugh, but we'll see. i'm going to look at medford hospital, too. i think i need to learn yoga, btw! if you move there maybe we can be friends haha
Sure! I think it can be hard to meet people anywhere today, but yoga class was a good way for me out in OR and here in NC, too. I also plan to look into hiking clubs and in winter cross-country skiing to meet more people out there, and volunteering with a great Medford cat rescue if they have room for me, CATS (committed alliance to strays) or another animal rescue group (I love animals). Since it's a larger town, there's quite a bit there.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:07 PM

11,026 posts, read 18,997,573 times
Quote:
Silverton has lots of little clubs for such a small town and Salem is just 20 minutes away and we have the Chemeketans outdoor club and pretty much any other club out here. Silverton has some sort of festival going on every month, so volunteering to help with those would be a great way to get involved in the community and meet people.

Clubbing isn't huge in the Salem area, and in fact we have been called boring because there isn't a huge bar/club nightlife here...

I don't think Hillsboro will be what you want since you want quaint, but Forest Grove might be a good choice. You also might like McMinneville.

Honestly the rain isn't too bad. I think the fact that it remains green all year round tends to help to damper the effects of the rain. If it was gray and brown in the winter, like it is in the Midwest, that would be tortuous, but seeing green changes that dynamic...at least for me.

Also the valley is equidistant to the mountains and the coast so it is easy to get away for a weekend of snow or spending time at the coast. They've got dog sledding, cross country and downhill skiing, snowmobiling, sledding, etc in central Oregon in the winter. Sometimes just getting away for the weekend takes care of the "rain blues." I also enjoy walking through Silverfalls state Park in the spring when it is a little gloomy. The waterfalls are gushing with water.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina-in-Ashland View Post
Sure! I think it can be hard to meet people anywhere today, but yoga class was a good way for me out in OR and here in NC, too. I also plan to look into hiking clubs and in winter cross-country skiing to meet more people out there, and volunteering with a great Medford cat rescue if they have room for me, CATS (committed alliance to strays) or another animal rescue group (I love animals). Since it's a larger town, there's quite a bit there.
cool .. well maybe i'll see you around or call you if we move there. im thinking i better get the attitude of not being picky right now about where in oregon we go and go wherever i can get a job. i haven't gotten any calls on my apps yet, and i'm getting worried!! i would also love to get involved in some kind of volunteer work, too ... i think it's good for my soul! i am super afraid of heights ... bigtime. oregon might help me conquer that fear. you should've seen us walking along to multnomah falls little trail path. i had like a panic attack half way around and thought i was going to fall off the edge. my head was spinning. i had to turn around and go back while mike went on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon