Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 02:55 PM

27 posts, read 100,283 times

Advertisements

Just don't mention anything positive about California or Portland and you'll be fine.

To really fit in, learn the skiing, snowboarding, hiking and backpacking lingo and places (and buy all your clothes at REI, Columbia Sportswear or Eddie Bauer).

Seriously, I envy anybody who gets to move to Bend. It's the best of all worlds. Four seasons, lot's of sunshine, lot's of snow, cold in winter, hot in summer, smaller city, short drives to the beach, quick access to mountains (skiing) and a short drive to the big city (for Oregonians, that would be Portland). My hope is to retire there in a few years (assuming the stock market recovers!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 05:06 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
I moved from Alabama-not to Bend, but to right outside Portland. I would NEVER, ever move back to the deep south. The weather here is glorious. The people friendly and nice. The scenery-heaven on earth!
The part of Bama I moved from was not clean and no one took pride in anything.
I find that for the most part-like 99% of the area is clean,well maintained. No litter along the roads like in Bama.
I couldn't or wouldn't live in the humidity,heat,hurricanes,road rage, dirty bible belt unless I were tied,gag and MADE to. IF that happened I would escape someway or die trying.
NO culture shock--to me anyway.
A breath of fresh air? You betcha!!
Do I ever get homesick? Hell no.......this IS my home now

Good luck!!

Old 06-27-2009, 10:35 AM

206 posts, read 503,599 times
Yea and dont forget the 42" inches of rain a year spread out over 8 months of grey clouds bolted in place. "Buts its a mild wet 8 months". Western OR has 4 seasons, starting to rain, raining, still raining and 9 days of pretty good weather.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:54 AM

162 posts, read 513,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bman15470 View Post
Yea and dont forget the 42" inches of rain a year spread out over 8 months of grey clouds bolted in place. "Buts its a mild wet 8 months". Western OR has 4 seasons, starting to rain, raining, still raining and 9 days of pretty good weather.
This is ridiculous, we have at least 12 days of good weather, not just 9.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:33 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,871 times
I see no one is mentioning the air quality over in Bend. Consider the smoke in the air during wildfire season.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:48 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal2009 View Post
This is ridiculous, we have at least 12 days of good weather, not just 9.
The last time I was in western Oregon, summer was scheduled for July 24...

Old 06-27-2009, 03:02 PM

162 posts, read 513,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
The last time I was in western Oregon, summer was scheduled for July 24...
Well it is June 27th and it is 78 degrees and sunny. Next 10 days call for more or less the same. Looks like summer was scheduled a bit a earlier this year.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:44 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Bend is in Central Oregon, not western. It is relatively dry and has lots of sun all seasons.

Yes, the locals will notice your accent - same as your community would notice ours. It will take a while to acquire the local dialect. In many ways regions of our country have different languages, sometimes even using the same word differently. Were I you I would avoid using slang words for a year or two. If you have children in school give them the same advise.

The unemployment rate in Bend is very high right now, construction and building materials account for most of it. Unemployment causes lots of stress on families and family disputes are the most dangerous for responding police. Keep safe. There used to be a saying about the Multnomah County Police, "the first social worker on the scene". You may find yourself similarly situated.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:12 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,718,056 times
I moved from southern Ohio (very damp, slightly southern, very country) to Colorado (very dry, very western, very suburban). What I was most uncomfortable about was the climate change. Most people LOVE the drier western climate and four seasons, I was depressed by too much sunshine. The gardening is totally different. I think the biggest changes are those caused by temperature, weather, and how you plan and manage activities. People are just people. Look for a place to live that is similar to what you like and you will be fine.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:42 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlinjames View Post
You must have never walked around Lloyd or Pearl district with your family where everyone else is either single, metrosexual, or gay.
Uh, the Lloyd District? Really?

The area of Portland comprising the Rose Garden Arena, the Oregon Convention Center, and the Lloyd Center Mall is hardly known for being filled with singles, metrosexuals, and gays. I see plenty of families streaming into the area for events and shopping at the mall. I think you might be confused with what part of town your referring too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon