U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-21-2009, 09:17 PM

11,523 posts, read 9,718,213 times

Advertisements

I just returned from a wonderful trip to Oregon, saw a good chunk of central and coastal Oregon via rental car.

I dream of returning next year and spending time on the coast, going from one town to the other, but I would like to do it by bus, not car.

Is it possible to fly to Portland, bus over to the coast, bus from coastal town to coastal town?

I'm trying to break my Central America travel habits where they have these nifty chicken buses which run so frequently from small town to small town,
and I don't have to burden myself with a rental car and the accompanying expenses and stress.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 12:50 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,686,080 times
Since nobody has answered, I'll chime in. I have never heard of buses that run on the coast. No chicken buses here, drat the luck! You might Google Greyhound and see what they have. Or just Google "buses oregon coast" and see what happens. I would think, however, that a rental car would offer more control over where and when you stop to enjoy the beauty.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:57 PM

63 posts, read 147,342 times
I would have to agree. I lived and travelled around Central America for about 6 months and the buses ran (or didn't run) regularly, and you could get off and on where ever you pleased and for however long you pleased. If you did not get back onto your bus, anotherone would be along at some point.

Even if you had to buy another ticket it was inexpensive.

The main reason for all of the above statements is that buses are a primary means of transportation for many in Central America. The smae is not true of North America when everyone likes to confine themselves in their little glass egg and pod around to wherever the whant without having to interface with the rest of society (sorry...little soapbox moment there).

Anyway, you will not have the flexibility on a bus as you will in a car. Sorry.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:52 PM

I just googled Oregon Coast Buses and there are 4 different bus systems available. Cool! But I probably won't be sharing a seat with a woman carrying a couple chickens to the market.

Yes, well agreed, with the flexibility of having a rental car. But I saw a good deal of the coast and I know now precisely where I want to spend more time, and some areas I'd prefer to skip.

So next year I'll try the buses. And if I get frustrated with the service I can always rent a car.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:55 AM

63 posts, read 147,342 times
tijlover:

You know that we all will expect a full report at the end of this experience.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:55 PM

Yes, I'll let you know how it goes next year. Sound like an adventure to me.
And I like the comaraderie of buses. In a car, you only have yourself to talk to, if traveling alone.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:39 PM

7,925 posts, read 6,418,136 times
A one way trip from Eugene to Coos bay PSL (Porter Stage Lines) is about eqivilent to two days car rental. Around $35.00 each way. There are regional buses that run in Northern California to Brookings. There are buses in some of the coastal communities.

Grayhound cancelled all coastal service years ago.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:33 PM

3,725 posts, read 4,302,080 times
Go to tripcheck.com and select the Transportation Options tab.

http://tripcheck.com/rtp-to/cityCoun...ch.aspx?__js=1

Generally there are lines from the valley to Seaside/Astoria, Tillamook and Newport. There is bus service from Eugene to Florence, south to Brookings and back to Grants Pass, though not on the same bus system.

I don't think they would drop you off or pick you up at points of interest, so you would miss almost everything except supermarket bus stops.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:49 PM

965 posts, read 1,616,937 times
Several of the coastal counties operate infra-county bus services. Getting between counties can be more difficult. As an example, on the southern Oregon coast:

-Curry Public Transit runs The Coastal Express from Smith River, CA to North Bend.
-Coos County Area Transit (C-CAT) operates buses out to Coquille, Myrtle Point and Bandon (from Myrtle Point you can connect to U-Trans going inland to Roseburg).

These little buses generally have a zoned fare schedule with a fixed rate per leg or "zone" of each route. They typically have just a couple of buses in service, so it can be a couple of hours between drop-offs and pick-ups. Provided that you can adjust your schedule to the schedule of the bus, they can work out quite well. You can find their schedules on the Web. I used to take the Express from Brookings to Gold Beach on a regular basis. At $4 for the 30-mile trip, it's about the same as I would pay in gas to go the same distance in my own car. Be prepared to make the trip in the company of a colorful cast of characters from far-flung corners of the county.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:41 AM

6,415 posts, read 5,568,004 times
Yeah, there are a number of small bus systems that overlap. At least I know of the ones along the north coast. It's getting yourself over to the coast that'll be the most expensive.

Here's a website (http://www.publictransportation.org/systems/state.asp?state=OR - broken link) listing all the systems in the state.

Clatsop County bus system.

Tillamook County bus system.

Lincoln County

Most routes on Google Transit send you back over to the valley for a stretch.

On a totally different route, I ran across this the other day when investigating transportation from Portland to the Seattle Airport. It's apparently possible to make it on local buses, for a total cost of $11.25, but takes 10 hours!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon