Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 07:46 PM

3 posts, read 9,757 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to Oregon in a year. I have been doing some research on the coastal towns, and in this forum. It seems that Florence, Cannon Beach, Lincoln City, and Brookings are mentioned often. I would like to know which of these towns would offer more activities for children. How are the schools and hospitals. Also about the average rent. Yes rent. We don't want to buy until we have lived there for a little while and can take our time to look. Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 08:19 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
if youre looking for a town/city with more activities for the kiddos, Id say more along the lines of Lincoln City/Newport or Coos Bay/North Bend.
I LOVE the other towns you have listed, but they are smaller and dont have quite as many ....organized, options as the others.
Here in Coos Bay/North Bend, we have a pretty good sized Boys and Girls Club that has a lot of activites for the kids. A great gymnastics center, dance center, and other sports programs as well. All three of my kids are pretty active in everything from sports to drama. Im pretty happy with the schools here, not much idea about the hospital, but the pediatricians are beyond incredible.
Rent varies, but I dont want to take over a thread if youre not interested in CB/NB. Just thought Id throw it out to ya.
Best of luck in finding your happy home!

Old 06-23-2009, 08:40 PM

3 posts, read 9,757 times
Thank you for the info. What is the weather like there. I know it is cold. I am more concerned with the summer and humidity. My 7 yr old has Asthma. We live in Florida. My son can't spend more than a half hour outside in the summer without weezing. He is the main reason we are moving. We would move sooner but I am getting my nursing degree and wont be finished until April. The other reason for asking about the hospitals. Thanks.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:27 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
For weather, Brookings. Otherwise, Newport.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:40 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
you wont have the same heat&humidity issues anywhere along the Oregon coast that you do in Florida, thats for certain!
Weather along the coast varies quite a bit. This weekend for instance, in the morning, it was a heavy mist, by afternoon, my kids were in the sprinkler, the day before it was clear and beautiful all day, the day before that, it was overcast all day, the day before, a mix. You can have heavy fog in the morning, clear as a bell by late morning, a sprinkle in the early afternoon, and in a tanktop late afternoon, veto the bbq cuz it looks like it might rain, then end up eating outside cuz its so nice. Pretty crazy. Plus, if youre right on the bay/coast, the temp is usually lower, and the fog stays longer, a mile inland, its like a whole different world.
Id say browse through the pictures, and pull up different live webcams as well for a first hand look for yourself. coosbaywebcam is a great one, and its got a really cool feature that you can watch it in superfast time. takes like 2min. or something like that to roll through the whole day, its fun to watch the weather pattern change drastically...not to mention watching the people zoom in and out of the clam beds. lol and again, you can see the weather for yourself, i know it archives too, so back to whenever for an unbiased opinion.

** i just watched the one for yesterday (6/22) and was cool how at the end, the moon came just rushing in....how fun!! if you get a few min. watch it! its neat.

Last edited by tiffela74; 06-23-2009 at 09:48 PM..

Old 07-15-2009, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 6,380 times
Default Brookings air

Hello,
I hope it is ok to jump in here and ask my question. I have never used a forum like this before.
My husband and I are looking for a place with clean air. We live between Ashland and Medford and bad air settles here. My eyes burn most of the time. We are hoping Brookings has good clean air, but I learned it has a lumber mill. Is there a problem with pollution from that? Also, is the weather sunny part of the winter?
Do you know of any good manufactured home parks for 55 and over?
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:16 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Old Post. I wonder why no one answered. The best Answer would be Coos Bay. There are several good 55+ along Bayshore and other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon