U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 02:35 AM

16 posts, read 32,907 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any suggestions for one that is nice sized and have a varity of products. I just came back from Baker and it was so tiny and hardly any food items. I'm looking for a place that has fresh cheeses and bacon. Things like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 09:58 AM

206 posts, read 443,697 times
Sorry dude, its called Safeway. West side of state is Port-Eugene for overpriced inferior quality organic no hormone free range no conflict onions and potatoes.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:07 AM

7,297 posts, read 15,347,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bman15470 View Post
Sorry dude, its called Safeway. West side of state is Port-Eugene for overpriced inferior quality organic no hormone free range no conflict onions and potatoes.
That's flat-out wrong. Even in Klamath Falls we have organic produce and free-range meat. Nothing as nice as the Portland Farmer's Market at PSU, but a heck of a lot better than Safeway/Fred Meyer/Kroger etc.

In Eastern and Central Oregon we have a shorter growing season, and the markets open later in the year and it takes a bit to get a good selection.

ETA: link http://www.oregonfarmersmarkets.org/

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 06-28-2009 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: add link

Old 06-28-2009, 11:43 AM

Libs make it so easy. I'm poking fun at the whole "whole foods" thing, You know at the turn of the 20th century the leading cause of death was water bourne illness. Today we live longer healthier lives and people are scared to death of eating store bought chicken eggs (got a wacko sister living in Portland that has chickens in her back yard, shes always trying to give away her "organic chicken eggs) Look people your gonna die around 82 years of age and that free range chicken egg all stained with crap ain't gonna change that fact, so go and enjoy a loaded double cheese burger once in awhile cause life is short. Wink, bman

Old 06-28-2009, 11:49 AM

7,297 posts, read 15,347,934 times
And that entirely misses the point of eating fresh and local as well - it's not about how long you live, it's about how well you live and how food tastes. Buy your produce, meats and eggs at the farmer's market for a week and you'll see how much better things taste. Buy things which weren't grown for longest shelf life and you'll notice the difference.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:04 PM

Sorry PNW, but I like my potato's big as a Subaru and freakishly void of scab and blemish. I like celery that is so cheap I don't even bother looking at the price. I like my beef from a feed lot, full of rich fat marbling and tender from lack of exercise (stand still Betsy or your gonna get tougher) hormone chicken breasts so large and firm they are the envy of Hollywood. Yes I will still can my own jam, and grow tomatoes in the garden but modern agriculture has done more to advance the human cause (except medicine) than almost any thing else. Well we gotta have those damned dams to irrigate all those fields so maybe their close second (second to Ag of course which is second to medicine) Wait I forgot about nasty chemicals, they fit in there somewhere but I suppose thats part of the organic vs propagated, hybridized, genetically improved arguments) Gotta go before someone eats the last donut. bman

Old 06-28-2009, 01:15 PM

3,686 posts, read 5,848,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan423 View Post
Anyone have any suggestions for one that is nice sized and have a varity of products. I just came back from Baker and it was so tiny and hardly any food items. I'm looking for a place that has fresh cheeses and bacon. Things like that.
You won’t find large farmers’ markets in Eastern Oregon.

The population is too small. It is also rural and the farmers’ market phenomenon is largely (but not exclusively) an urban thing where it is also an important social get together for certain people:
#5 Farmers Markets « Stuff White People Like

Very little produce, which is one of the staples of farmers’ markets, is grown or even can be grown in commercial quantities in Eastern Oregon – it is ranching country. However, some really good beef comes from Eastern Oregon; sometimes it is available at the Baker City farmers’ market and always at Bella’s on Main St. You can also get your cheese and bacon at Bella’s:
BELLA - Where to find gift baskets, Oregon wine, Baker City products, chocolates and fun gifts.

This is really good, juicy beef. The cattle are fattened with corn and other grains:
Dry Aged Beef - Dry Aged Natural Beef

If you insist on grass finished beef, this is actually very good, but not as juicy as grain finished:
Sexton Ranches Natural Lamb and Beef
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or