Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,904 times

Advertisements

I live in coos bay and my little sister is coming to visit me for a month or two. she is recovering from drug addictions and i dont want her to get in with the wrong crowd while she is here. i was wondering the best places that i could keep her busy with while i'm at work? i know theres the boy and girls club, not exactly sure what they have that would keep a mature 16 year old busy.. also i heard about this girls center in the parking lot behind the college dorms thru the parking lot to empire lakes, also about a girls ranch over in deep coos bay but i think its an over night thing for really bad cases. any help would be great, its too bad they closed down sobers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 01:27 PM

652 posts, read 1,785,518 times
Well you'll have to trust her a little. Ask her to go to AA or NA meetings. Ask if any churches, Goodwill, etcetera need volunteers. and depending on how willing she is to stay sober you'll get what you get. It is after all up to her, you can only provide a path and some love, she has to stay sober on her own. If she isn't involved with a 12 step group or a counselor things may be dicey for her and you.
The person at the AA phoneline may have some ideas for you.
Good Luck

Old 06-28-2009, 07:51 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times
She'd be at a great age to be a teen vollenteer at the Boys and Girls Club. They've got some pretty great young people helping out there.
I think Sobers turned into The Green Spot. Which is also drug/alchol free....

Old 07-04-2009, 03:05 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,718,056 times
Could you rent her a dunebuggy or motorbike? She will want some sense of freedom and excitement, but not one that reminds her of the group drug thing. Having fun independently could be a way to remind her that we don't have to do what our friends do to have fun. Sign her up for some unusual things--dance class, something that is on the edge from her perspective. Also, when I have visited the theater group was full of interesting and unusual people ready to have help.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:09 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,888 times
If she (or you) like to hike, now's the time, yes? Physical exercise builds self-esteem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon