Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 6,370 times

Advertisements

we live in the SF bay area, love the Oregon coast, have grandchildren in Westport, WA.

We are SOOOO ready to get out of here after just 3 years moving from North Carolina.

My social security would be about $1700, I could probably pull a few hundred per month out of my destroyed 401K.

My wife is in her early 50s and is in property management.

We love the Newport-Lincoln City area.

Two questions, if we were stuck with about $2500/month net, could we live without fearing for our lives?

And, any ideas on how to find the PM jobs for my wife? Something that would have health insurance (before we decide to move to Canada). Typically, it's who you know and not what you know in these communities (we lived in a redneck county in NC of 10,000 people).

Thanks for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 01:57 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
I've heard it said that Newport is the most chichi (read: exclusive) of the coastal cities. Is that really where you wan't to be on $2500/mo.? And don't count on your wife finding a property management job unless its for a U-Store-It. Seriously, you need to re-think this. Everybody is being eaten alive right now and those who survive will be those who can be realistic and make practical moves. I have IT certifications up and out you know where but I and my GF are living on my church organists salary and her SSDI. Around the same as your SS and 401K. We don't fear for our lives and we can even get a steak every now and then. I think about Canada as well but not seriously. I figure, if things get that bad in the U.S. that one seriously has to think about getting out of dodge... ... well it probably makes sense to think about getting off the continent of North America entirely. Which leads to... what will you have to offer in a new country? Even I would have to add a few more certifications to my resume to be more qualified than a native of that country. You don't want to be a refugee. If you can't go in as a H1B or whatever they call it, its probably not worth the doing. FWIW.

H

Old 07-21-2009, 07:31 AM

716 posts, read 2,817,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icanalmostsmellretirement View Post
we live in the SF bay area, love the Oregon coast, have grandchildren in Westport, WA.

We are SOOOO ready to get out of here after just 3 years moving from North Carolina.

My social security would be about $1700, I could probably pull a few hundred per month out of my destroyed 401K.

My wife is in her early 50s and is in property management.

We love the Newport-Lincoln City area.

Two questions, if we were stuck with about $2500/month net, could we live without fearing for our lives?

And, any ideas on how to find the PM jobs for my wife? Something that would have health insurance (before we decide to move to Canada). Typically, it's who you know and not what you know in these communities (we lived in a redneck county in NC of 10,000 people).

Thanks for any feedback!
The Oregon coast is generally expensive and even in the best of times any year round job over minimum wage is very tough to secure.

The coast is terribly depressed right now. Tourism is down as are industries like logging and fishing. The best year round businesses on the coast are funeral homes.

I doubt your wife will secure a good job w/benefits anytime soon unless she goes freelance but that will take lots of networking.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the input.

I have 30 years in software programming and software management of embedded systems products (no web stuff). 'C' and assembler only. I view myself as a software architect and manager, my days of coding are long past.

As for Canada, my wife is the daughter of a Canadian citizen, which under the new law just passed in Canada, makes her a Canadian citizen. They recognize dual citizenship even if the US doesn't :-)

I also taught for 2 years in Connecticut and have a valid teacher's license in in North Carolina... math and science on the secondary level. That could be an option although I doubt it pays more than my social security :-)

As for costs, I currently live in an area where $1800/month is cheap for a 2 BR 1.5 bath apartment of 800 sq ft, so it's untenable to be retired here.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:48 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,471,504 times
While you obviously have quite impressive & marketable skills, so do a lot of unemployed Oregonians.

Yes, I think you can 'make' it on the Coast with what your income is. But that depends on what you are expecting. Are you able to buy a house outright and more importantly, are you counting on your wife not only getting a job in PM, but getting a job with health insurance? IMO, not likely. I wouldn't count on any job in the Newport area.

Heck, I wouldn't discount Washington if I were you. Not that I'm chasing everybody out of Oregon, but realistically Washington has much larger PM companies, does not tax SS and retirement incomes as does Oregon.

How anyone could retire in the Bay area, I don't know. That's as absurdly pricey as NY. I suppose any place that's less expensive understandably has a huge draw. From your perspective, it must look like heaven here (and it may be for you).

Old 07-21-2009, 01:22 PM

32 posts, read 153,951 times
When i moved from Florida to Oregon the prices were alot cheaper than they were here (Florida) but not sure on the price difference from where you are Newport is one of the more expensive cities...right outside of Newport really isnt that bad

Old 07-23-2009, 12:19 AM

206 posts, read 503,571 times
Canada for health services? What planet are you on?

Old 07-23-2009, 05:57 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Sadly you do not have much in the way of marketable skills to find a job either on the coast or even the city. Jobs are really difficult to come by unless you are lucky enough to know someone who can supply you with one.
Although rents migh be lower, so would wages if you were to find work. But many people move to the beach and get creative in opening their own shops and such. Would you want to consider doing something like that?
In any case, why not take some vacation time and come up and explore for yourself. You will get a better feel of the places you want to consider by firsthand observation and talking to other retiree and semi retirees to see how they are making it.
I for one will be moving from Orgeon in a couple of years when I can collect my full SS benefits. The cost of living for me is just too high if I want to retire and work only part time.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:15 PM

Default Businesses

Thank you everyone, even the guy who is clueless about the Canadian Health Care system or is in denial about the bureaucrats who act as gatekeepers to my health care at the private insurance companies while not supplying any health care to people who make too much for Medicaid and not enough to buy family health insurance.

Yes, I am also looking at the possibly of opening up a shop, it has been a dream of ours. Unfortunately, most properties have been seeking full time husband / wife teams at a wage that is equivalent of an individual. At least they usually include living quarters and utilities that come in equal to about $10,000/yr

We have spent some time on the coast and have a daughter living in Westport, WA... so, we have thought about it. We are keeping our options open.

As for the Florida person, we were contemplating parts of FL because the cost of living is so much lower than the SF Bay area

Old 03-28-2010, 11:21 PM

218 posts, read 580,244 times
Westport, WA real estate about the most reasonable for coastal property - but that is because of the truly horrific economy of Grays Harbor county. We were there last year for most of the year - and it was bad then. If you wish to pick up some property for some good prices, and have extra $$, now is a fabulous time to buy. Its just the jobs! Physicians we know seriously thinking of leaving Aberdeen area -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: