Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 03:27 PM

9 posts, read 55,293 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live in Portland and want to try living on the Oregon coast for a year to try it (as renters...and we work at home so jobs aren't a concern).

We aren't sure if we will like it long-term but have spent enough time there that we know what to expect as far as climate, etc.

The only thing we aren't certain about are child-related factors of each town. Our son is 11 and will be in middle school for the next three years. Our daughter is 15 months...so our main concern is our son at the moment. He is totally into basketball and other activities, so having other kids around is important, if possible. Obviously education is important as well.

We are open to any town, but we are considering Cannon Beach, Seaside, Manzanita, Nehalem...but aren't familiar with the kid climate there or anywhere else. I'd also love to meet other moms with young ones like our daughter.

Any tips or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated! Where do we go??! We are open to heading south as well if there is a great town down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 03:42 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,044,672 times
Ive got 3 kiddos we're raising in Coos Bay. We moved here from up by Oregon City (Mulino) and we love it. Kids are thriving. All three of mine have been very involved with the Boys and Girls Club here in town, as many many other kids are too. My boy did the basketball camp last year, I dont know much about basketball, but I know they had some of the Blazers down here running the camp, then did some talks to the kids and such. There are year round sports here both at the club and in the schools. My son does soccer w/B&G and loves it. Fall and Spring. My oldest daughter did a childrens theater last summer, and is doing school soccer next fall. They both did national art contests through the club too. most sports are played there at the B&G Club, i know they just did some hockey camp there the other week too.... My youngest has been involved in the gymnastics at the club for the last few years. That program I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend!!! Several state champions in our little gym and one of the girls here has competed all the way up to Nationals. So terrific program!! And you can start your little one in a mommy and me class. They can start when they start walking. I know theres been several playgroups and good friendships that have develped from that. For her, theres also some great toddler times at the library, story times and music times.
We're very pleased with our kids schooling too. And since my inlaws are all teachers, believe me, my kids school work is watched veeerrrrryyyy carefully! Grandma and Grandpa arent about to let THEIR precious grandkids fall behind! lol My son will be 11 in Dec. and has tested out at some higher levels in learning. His teachers have been great about keeping him challenged and happy in a regular classroom setting and also incorporating different TAG programs both during and after school with him and a few other kids. Same with my oldest (15) When we moved here, she was in the 3rd grade and tested at an 11th grade level for reading. Teachers were wonderful in helping her continue to develop her reading skills, and also keep her reading material appropriate.
So, I cant help you out for the other coastal towns/cities, but theres a couple cents of my own for Coos Bay/North Bend.
Best of luck in your new home search!!!

Old 07-24-2009, 04:07 PM

9 posts, read 55,293 times
Default Thank you but another question.....

Wow..thank you for the quick response! Very helpful and hopeful...but my husband was concerned about a few things NOT related to kids. He loves to kayak and wants a beautiful beach to explore. He loves hiking, etc. and I think he is under the impression that Coos Bay doesn't have the charm or beauty of some other beach towns.

What is your take on that?

(We are looking to our children first but would love to find a place that has the whole package, so to speak!)

Thanks again!

Old 07-24-2009, 04:41 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,044,672 times
i totally understand. To tell the truth, when first moving here, I was against it! I had only been here once, and thought it was an ugly, boring little place w/no charm and no "real" beach. I told my husband "ONE YEAR!! THATS IT!!" ....well, its been more than 6 and I am in love w/this place.
I do know some people that are really into kayaking, and they go out and about here quite a bit. I can see if they will divulge some of their spots. Otherwise, Id say give Sunset Sports a holler and they could tell you about some of the areas that are good for kayaking.
One of my fav. pastimes is hiking along the cliffs out here. I prefer the wild and rugged beachside cliffs, so I head a little south of town. Now Im not a serious all day every weekend type a hiking gal, so i dont want to mislead there......
honestly, id say come spend a weekend poking around and get a feel for it yourselves.
ya, you definatly have to base a move on the ENTIRE family. Kids do grow up someday.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:06 AM

44 posts, read 107,883 times
Somewhere around the Coos Bay/North Bend/Bandon area.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:01 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,624,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleysMama View Post
Wow..thank you for the quick response! Very helpful and hopeful...but my husband was concerned about a few things NOT related to kids. He loves to kayak and wants a beautiful beach to explore. He loves hiking, etc. and I think he is under the impression that Coos Bay doesn't have the charm or beauty of some other beach towns.

What is your take on that?

(We are looking to our children first but would love to find a place that has the whole package, so to speak!)

Thanks again!

Howdy Y'All..............

Perhaps your husband would like to look at the Oregon fishing forum. Go to www.google.com & do a search.

Many of the members fish or explore the different OR waterways with kayak, canoe, or 1 man pontoons, etc.

Have a Great Day....................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon