U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 11:36 AM

31 posts, read 113,267 times
Question Are there any gang/ tagging problems in Albany/ Corvalis/ Lebanon areas?

Is there any of that in that area?

I live in the central valley of CA and it is getting quite bad here with gang issues and tagging (spraypainting territory).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 01:15 PM

841 posts, read 4,557,213 times
Not sure on that specific area, but from what I've seen, the small towns I've lived in there are no gangs. Many are just wannabe's. I have seen places where Sur 13 is tagged on walls. In one place I've seen Sur 13 with the Bay Area written next to it. I'm sure you know that Sur 13 is a Southern California gang. Anyway, gang issues are not really a problem in Oregon other than Portland in my opinion.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:16 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,816,737 times
No gang problems, minimal tagging throughout the mid-Willamette Valley (unless you count train boxcars, but they're probably tagged outside the area).

Old 04-24-2007, 02:16 PM

540 posts, read 1,345,728 times
Logan'sDad,
I have lived in Albany for almost 6 years now. I have honestly not seen any indication of gang activity. I qualify this with the fact that I lived almost 15 years in San Diego...so what one might call "gang" activity here...as opposed to a major metropolitan city...could be different.

Dave

Old 04-25-2007, 12:10 AM

112 posts, read 484,604 times
Smile What's a gang?

No seriously, I know what a gang is...and the only area of Oregon that you might run into such activity would be certain areas of Portland, maybe Salem. Graffitti is not a problem other than on freight trains that roll through. Coming from Southern Cal, you're definately notice the lack of gang activity. The closest thing most of these smaller cities have to gangs are groups of skaters, and they're not gang members.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 5,075 times
Default About The 13 Gang Around Portland

I know many of them but they are mostly wannabes. I go to school with them and some are my friends. True 13 gang members wouldn't be like that. Sure they graffiti so much these days, but that is the only thing they do. I havent heard much about a big crime they did in Portland yet except for graffiti. I mean anybody could graffiti. I think theyre stupid even though they are my friend. Last week, I visited Los Angeles and they didnt have much 13 graffiti over down there, then when I came back, more graffiti from the fake 13 was posted around. Many of the 13's are like in groups. They go by "crazy gang 13", "brown side 13", and of course SUR, and STC, and way way more. Its just weird.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:50 PM

3 posts, read 12,628 times
Default Salem & Gang Activity

I have lived in Salem since 1985 and have worked in the school district since 1989. I believe I can say with some authority...this IS a gang problem in Salem and the surrounding areas. Tagging is a widespread nuisance here. As soon as it's covered up, new little punks come along and put more spray painted uglies on other people's property. MY CHURCH even gets tagged on a regular basis. Now I know that much of this tagging could be done by "wanna-be's" but the fact that there are "wanna-be's" is evidence of real gang activity.

On to more serious activity...if any of you watch Portland/Salem news, you will have noticed a sharp rise in shootings, stabbings, planned mob fights, random attacks, weapon sales, drug sales, and so on. Some of this has been within my circle as a district employee.

One of my students (non-gang) was jumped by 6 gang members in a planned attack after school. The student was in serious condition and nearly lost an eye. His offense? He said something sarcastic to one of these punks at school one day.

The brother of one of my students was shot in the head by another gang member in a car-to-car shooting...right in front of the building where I work. The blood remained on the busy street for several days after.

A group of 7 adolescent boys fired 4 shots into a duplex and then ran down the sidewalk. I myself heard the shots, saw the boys, and was able to give the police a description of what some boys were wearing.

A young engaged couple were kidnapped by a Mexican gang, driven to a remote area. The girl was raped while the guy was forced to watch. Then the two of them were shot execution style...while laying face down on the ground.

These are just a few of several gang issues that have directly affected me. I could go on....

Every school day for the past several years I watch from my asigned "post" as gang punks assemble outside a particular Salem HS just before dismissal time. Many of them get off the city bus. I also watch as police patrol the area, occassionally cuffing some find, upstanding youth who's mommy must be so proud. Sadly, I often recognize some of the now hardened bangers as children I used to know, and even work, with when they were cute, innocent little second graders. It breaks my heart and makes me so angry that we stand by as a society and let criminal steal our kids one by one.

Trust me...there is a gang problem in Salem...and it's growing along with the rest of the Willamette Valley.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:49 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,830,735 times
Twenty years ago Salem would have been on the bottom of this chart, now it is in the middle:
http://content.gatehousemedia.com/files/1/Crime%20Statistics.pdf (broken link)

Old 12-20-2007, 03:08 PM

841 posts, read 4,557,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMarie87 View Post
I have lived in Salem since 1985 and have worked in the school district since 1989. I believe I can say with some authority...this IS a gang problem in Salem and the surrounding areas. Tagging is a widespread nuisance here. As soon as it's covered up, new little punks come along and put more spray painted uglies on other people's property. MY CHURCH even gets tagged on a regular basis. Now I know that much of this tagging could be done by "wanna-be's" but the fact that there are "wanna-be's" is evidence of real gang activity.

On to more serious activity...if any of you watch Portland/Salem news, you will have noticed a sharp rise in shootings, stabbings, planned mob fights, random attacks, weapon sales, drug sales, and so on. Some of this has been within my circle as a district employee.

One of my students (non-gang) was jumped by 6 gang members in a planned attack after school. The student was in serious condition and nearly lost an eye. His offense? He said something sarcastic to one of these punks at school one day.

The brother of one of my students was shot in the head by another gang member in a car-to-car shooting...right in front of the building where I work. The blood remained on the busy street for several days after.

A group of 7 adolescent boys fired 4 shots into a duplex and then ran down the sidewalk. I myself heard the shots, saw the boys, and was able to give the police a description of what some boys were wearing.

A young engaged couple were kidnapped by a Mexican gang, driven to a remote area. The girl was raped while the guy was forced to watch. Then the two of them were shot execution style...while laying face down on the ground.

These are just a few of several gang issues that have directly affected me. I could go on....

Every school day for the past several years I watch from my asigned "post" as gang punks assemble outside a particular Salem HS just before dismissal time. Many of them get off the city bus. I also watch as police patrol the area, occassionally cuffing some find, upstanding youth who's mommy must be so proud. Sadly, I often recognize some of the now hardened bangers as children I used to know, and even work, with when they were cute, innocent little second graders. It breaks my heart and makes me so angry that we stand by as a society and let criminal steal our kids one by one.

Trust me...there is a gang problem in Salem...and it's growing along with the rest of the Willamette Valley.
All those that you have mentioned, how long ago were those and how far apart? There are many places in California and other high crime states and cities where those types of things can happen in one day. Though they seem significant to you personally, but someone coming from say L.A., it's just another day.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:50 PM

68 posts, read 228,578 times
Norteno (Northern Hispanic) gangs have active sets in McMinnville, Corvallis, Salem, Woodburn, Molalla, Albany, Lebanon, Hillsboro, Kaizer, Portland (east), Gresham and The Dalles.

In Southern Oregon and Eugene, it's the bloods (i.e Barnett B-Riders) and the crips (i.e Rolling 30's Boyz), as well as some hispanic (Eugene) and biker (medford) gangs mixed in.

Eastern Oregon is hispanic gangs, very limited activity, only in Pendelton and Ontario.

The Oregon coast has little to no gang activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon