U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 10:22 PM

28 posts, read 88,265 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I am going to be graduating with my Masters in Library Science and Information studies next May (2010). I am currently living in Oklahoma (I know, I know)...and I have to get out of here (too hot, flat, and conservative).

I have a 7yr old son, lead an active, health-conscious lifestyle, pretty liberal, and a dog lover. I have been looking at cities in OR and WA and would like to know the major difference between the states, such as...

School quality,employment opportunities, pet friendly, left vs right leaning, home prices, cultural diversity, etc...

I realize this is a pretty broad question....but any help you can give would be greatly appreciated..thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 10:33 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,893,970 times
Oregon has no state sales tax :-)

Old 08-07-2009, 11:05 PM

14,593 posts, read 35,127,589 times
Honestly your better bet is to state what sized town you'd like to live in, what you can afford, if you prefer conservative or liberal, and define culture diversity?

Your question is way too broad in order to have people be helpful.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:12 PM

1,032 posts, read 1,473,902 times
More info on your interests would be helpful. Are you looking to be close to the mountains for camping, hiking, snowboarding. Do you like to be around water, boats, scuba diving. Do you prefer a small down or a big city. There are a lot of variables on what type a city you want to move to, the more info the better the help

Old 08-07-2009, 11:23 PM

28 posts, read 88,265 times
OK,
I am coming from Norman (OK), which is around 100k population, which is fine..nothing really much bigger than that...I wouldn't want a really small town either though, probably no less than 20K

I like to hike, love the mountains, love to look at the ocean but will not set a foot in it, boats are cool..would really like to see some whales

I love to read, scenic (safe) walks, cool, misty weather, very liberal, healthy-organic living, dog lover, my salary will be in the range of 40-70K...I sound super hippy, but Im not..I like to dress up and go out too so I don't want to be in the boondocks...

In WA, I was thinking Mukilteo seemed nice. I work at the University of OK now at the Western History Collections library, I would love to find a similar job at a college or history library. I LOVE American history (especially native peoples). I just finished a book about Genghis Khan and started "Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee" (about how crappy the Native Americans were treated in the mid 1800s).

thanks

Old 08-08-2009, 10:51 AM

5,273 posts, read 13,066,253 times
Oregon & Washington are both very liberal states. Both are very beautiful. By virtue of being further north, Washington is a bit cooler, weather wise. I really don't see any major differences one from another.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:40 AM

14,593 posts, read 35,127,589 times
Look into Corvallis Oregon. OSU is there and it would probably be a good fit. Otherwise I would recommend Eugene, but that is a larger city.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:34 PM

892 posts, read 1,665,388 times
Corvallis, Eugene, even Mukilteo would work fine for you IF....
....You can find something to do for a living. I just checked employment opportunities for Oregon State University in Corvallis and the only two positions even remotely connected to your field of expertise are open only to O(regon)SU employees.
Our employment situation is still pretty grim and the prognosis for improvement is similarly pessimistic. Jobs of any kind are rare and those that pay a newly minted MS 40+K per year are nearly nonexistant. I hate being such a wet diaper but the truth is there is not much hiring for anything right now. Maybe in 2010....
If there is a silver lining in the thunderhead I just presented it is that there are several places both in Oregon and Washington that would be very agreeable places to live; that would fit your social and political outlook and are close to your recreational interests - if you can find a relevant job:
Washington; Bellingham, Vancouver, Bellevue, Redmond and Olympia. There are probably others but I know these best.
Oregon; Eugene/Springfield, Corvallis, Ashland (may be to difficult to get to the ocean), Silverton (may be too small) and any of Portland's larger suburbs. Again some other places may do well for you, too but I am not so familiar with them.
As far as differences between Oregon and Washington; Blazer Prophet pretty well sums it up, though "very" liberal might be overdoing it. I have only been through Oklahoma once but if it is anything like Arkansas, northern Texas, Missouri, or Kansas then the atmosphere here will likely be more open minded, tolerant and forgiving that what you are used to in Norman.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:44 PM

4,133 posts, read 6,333,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
I have only been through Oklahoma once but if it is anything like Arkansas, northern Texas, Missouri, or Kansas then the atmosphere here will likely be more open minded, tolerant and forgiving that what you are used to in Norman.
Actually, Norman has a very high quality of life:
Best places to live 2008 - Top 100 City details: Norman, OK - from MONEY Magazine

And about a 6% unemployment rate.

And a very low crime rate for a city of its size.

Last edited by karlsch; 08-08-2009 at 03:59 PM..

Old 08-08-2009, 06:39 PM

892 posts, read 1,665,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Actually, Norman has a very high quality of life:
Best places to live 2008 - Top 100 City details: Norman, OK - from MONEY Magazine

And about a 6% unemployment rate.

And a very low crime rate for a city of its size.

Thanks for the tip!
Maybe I'll try to find a job there, I'm having no luck here..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or