U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-29-2007, 10:14 PM

193 posts, read 1,068,927 times

Advertisements

tyronejones....I am so glad you are amused! But what I find even more "funny" is that up until your post everyone was giving their view as to the bright side of wet weather. At least we made it up to page two before someone chose get negative.

There are plenty of other threads that speak of the bad aspects of rain. The title of this one was to attract RAIN LOVERS.

Talk about raining on someone elses parade.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:32 PM

414 posts, read 1,119,406 times
I love rain too. Which towns on the coast of Oregon have the least? I'm not sure I'd love it after nine months of it being constant. We are in SoOr right now but I'm missing the ocean. Maybe someday we'll check out the coast for living but knowing which places are the 'driest' would be helpful.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:43 PM

10 posts, read 33,616 times
We moved to the central coast of Oregon FOR the rain and the cool weather. We put on our jackets and head out in the rain. We'll walk the trails (cautiously - don't want to slide down into the ocean! LOL), go shopping, go sit in the car and simply watch the storms and waves. We've even had several "picnic" lunches on cold concrete benches at Cook's Chasm in the fog and damp. Love it.

Yeah, sometimes my arthritis bugs me, but I look around at the breathtaking beauty and forget about the pain.

We both read and are happy to live where the library is going strong. We're both involved in volunteer stuff in town, and do that rain or shine.

bobmulk, I had to laugh at your "ubiquitous coffee" comment. This town has a population of approx. 2050 people and there are - at last count - 11 espresso places and 4 places where you can get regular ol' coffee. My family in Illinois thought I was kidding when I told them there was a coffee spot every 300 ft -- until I took pictures and laid it all out on a map. HAHAHA!

Old 05-03-2007, 08:59 PM

460 posts, read 1,250,730 times
Hope you all don't mind someone from another "wet/cloudy" area steppin' in w/their post. I live in an area of upstate New York, that due to it's position (between the finger lakes and the Catskills, and just south of weather effects from Lake Ontario) gets what is called here.."unsettled weather". Read that to mean it's cloudy(a lot). And while we don't set records here for snow/rainfall(usually), there's pretty much guranteed precipitation of some type at least one day of the week-year round. Made farming(for my dad) a tricky thing, as far as field work goes. Wouldn't trade it though, for most places in the U.S. I've seen.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:04 AM

3 posts, read 4,122 times
I come alive when it rains. Too much sun can actually be depressing sometimes. When raindrops are hitting the window and the trees are swaying in the wind I feel cosy and can't wait to settle in for the day. I may read a good book, have a fire going and chocolate chip cookies baking in the oven. Tonight's dinner will probably be a good comfort meal- something like beef stew with dumplings. Later I may watch an old favorite movie. I'll bask in the feeling that I'm safe and comfortable while the raindrops continue to fall all night long.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:12 AM

821 posts, read 1,475,781 times
I look forward to the first good rainy day in the fall..It cleans up the air, freshens the garden and gives one an excuse to stay in and cook or go shoppin in the rain..Its just a good feeling and I never tire of it.
The wet spring this year is pushing the issue but thats Oregon love it or leave...I love it..

Old 05-23-2010, 10:16 AM

8 posts, read 12,535 times
Sigh..... Love all this rainy, cozy, windy, chilly weather talk. Thanks for reviving the thread! Sitting on my porch this morning in N FL, and we're looking at highs in the mid to upper 90's today. Blech. It's already mid 80's and not even noon yet. Nothing but boring ol' sunshine in the forecast. But the one bonus that FL has against OR's refreshing cool rainy days is thunderstorms. Talk about drama! I'd really miss them if I moved there. BUT if I needed a dramatic weather fix, I know I could always head to the coast for an awesome Pacific storm! Yep, love the rain--- stormy rain, cool wet drizzle, grey coffee-drinking-sweater-wearing-book-reading-blanket-cuddling-pot-of-chili-making rain.... Love all kinds!!

Old 05-23-2010, 11:39 AM

758 posts, read 1,368,618 times
Heck, it's raining right now! And most of last week, though I did get a couple dry runs in.
Tomorrow, I'm going to race home to get the lawn mowed, since it will be too wet every other day.
We did see the sun for a while yesterday though. And I had a dry ride to work.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:18 AM

54 posts, read 77,548 times
I love the rain: the sound, smells. In spring I love the contrast of the black clouds against the bright green trees. Who doesn't love a storm at the coast? High winds, sideways rain, rough waves, its so great to sit and watch with some coffee.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:25 AM

965 posts, read 1,618,771 times
I enjoyed the rain when I first moved to Oregon from the arid Southwest. But like many people from the sunbelt, I didn't realize that the novelty effect of the first few years doesn't last. Year after gloomy damp year, eventually it starts to weigh on you. As has been said so often, it's the gloom, not the rain, that makes living in the PNW difficult. In areas like Hawaii and southern Mexico, it rains a lot, but the clouds part and the sun comes out when it's done raining. In most of the PNW, cloudiness is persistent during the wet season and rain represents less than 1% of the time that it's cloudy.

At this time of the year, we do get the rain-sun-rain cycle, and it is not as oppressive as midwinter. Obviously, a lot of the tolerance for this depends on whether you are primarily an indoors or outdoors person. If being indoors is your default location...if curling up with a book or watching videos is your idea of a good time, then the rhythm of the rain on the roof is probably soothing. But if you are by nature and active outdoors type who's constantly yearning to go out for a bike ride or work in the garden and the rain thwarts your favorite activities, then you do start to go stir-crazy when it just never lets up!

Last edited by Brenda-by-the-sea; 05-24-2010 at 10:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon