U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-14-2009, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,856 times
Default Substitute Teaching in Rural/Suburban Oregon

I am strongly considering moving to Oregon, preferably in a rural area perhaps close enough to a suburb to work there. I think I would like to try to support myself via substitute teaching. I have a valid teaching certificate from an east coast state. I've looked into it, and in order to obtain substitute certification I'll just have to fill out some paperwork and pay some fees.

To those who have either subbed in recent times, or who currently sub more or less full-time (that is, 9 months out of the year), is it competitive? How steady can I expect this work be in Oregon, be it an urban, suburban, or rural area? I would like to work at least 4 days per week when school is in session.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 11:29 PM

103 posts, read 217,106 times
I'm not a substitute teacher, but I am thinking moving to Oregon and I'm after full time teaching work. The responses I've received from people on this forum about possible teaching work in Oregon is not good at all.

If what everyone on here has said to me is true, I reckon you're going to have quite a hard time finding teaching work at all. Of any kind. Any time soon.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:52 PM

10,850 posts, read 18,116,894 times
Oregon has a 12% unemployment rate and our school budget is having a lot of cuts. Many positions were cut. Unless you are a special ed teacher, bilingual or have some type of edge in gaining a position, it would be tough going, I think.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:52 AM

13,437 posts, read 10,071,590 times
I think the best way to find out is to Google the various school districts and see if they are hiring. I looked at the PPS website and the only openings they had were for very highly specialized teachers. But if teaching is like other jobs here in Oregon there are probably 100 applicants for each position everyone with very advanced degrees.

From what I have read, people who are bilingual have the best chances. That's how my niece got a substitute teaching job in Toronto. The schools were not hiring full time but since she speaks fluent French, she was able to get a substitute teaching job. Even so, it's pretty sporadic.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:18 AM

2,973 posts, read 4,762,538 times
First off, many school districts in Oregon require you to be a licensed teacher, not just a certified substitute. I found the requirements for licensure in Oregon to be a bit more stringent than in Colorado, where my original teaching license is. I was able to get the Initial I Teaching License, but this is only good for just under 2 years. I must work towards the next licensure level. So, before just going for your substitute certification, I would look into the districts you are thinking about working for. Even here in Central Oregon, a teaching license in required. Oh, and one thing I've found true, at least for C.O., is that substituting is contracted out through a services district. I don't know whether it's that way throughout the state or not, but I would look into it. Here is a link to ours: Substitute Services - Substitute Services (http://www.hdesd.org/education/dept/dept.php?sectionid=49 - broken link)

In terms of subbing as full-time employment, I think you will find this tough, unless, like others said, you have some special qualification(s). There were months last year where I only received a handful of assignments. I think right now the substitute pool is pretty full, especially since many districts in Oregon have laid off quite a few teachers in the past few years. I imagine those teachers have more connections than those of us who are new to the state/district, so they are probably being requested. Honestly, I would not recommend banking on a steady income from substitute teaching.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:54 AM

6,977 posts, read 6,709,152 times
In CA, we have EdJoin where you can look for education jobs ("over 1,800 school districts, county offices of education and other education agencies post on the network"). Does Oregon have something like this? It posts open positions for Admin, certificated, classified, and subs ...

Welcome to EDJOIN!

Old 08-19-2009, 10:24 AM

1,309 posts, read 3,868,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycanthrope View Post
I would like to work at least 4 days per week when school is in session.
That would be realistic only in Portland and only if you're willing to travel to distant schools. I sub in rural Oregon and rural northern California; I'm licensed in both states. Last year I typically had about 6 or 7 assignments per month.

Most districts have drastically cut back on sick days and taken other measures to reduce the need for subs. Substitute teachers are a major expense for the district budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon