Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 11:42 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,616 times

Advertisements

Newport is a large (by coast standards), active community with a commercial fishing fleet, many tourist attractions, major retailers, and some serious scientific research, soon to be augmented by a group of government research vessels relocating from Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 02:33 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,550,483 times
fyi: fast food at 11:30 pm - not much variety available that i know of - except i'd imagine only close to a university. here in eugene, i think only muchas gracias is open 24 hrs... maybe some other places are open til midnight but i wouldn't count on it.

if you want more of a cali area (hello sunshine!) with lower priced housing somewhat near the beach & other amenities close by (is potential employment an amenity?) - maybe oxnard is for you. rotten sounding name but i just saw some very interesting posts here at city data about that area.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:02 PM

499 posts, read 1,446,891 times
You might also want to check into Brookings on the South Coast. It has Oregon's best winter temperatures - rarely below freezing. The palms and citrus growing in the area attest to that. A few miles inland it can be much warmer and sunnier. There are a couple of redwood groves east of town, too. And Eureka is only about 100 miles south with a lot of the amenities that come with a larger town.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:56 PM

11,247 posts, read 11,020,697 times
If you want a decent sized coastal city that is in proximity to larger inland cities you may want to look at Lincoln City. It's relatively close to Salem and Portland. Problem is, thats where all the urbanites go to get away. If you are artsy, you may look at Yachats or Waldport, both smaller cities. Newport is also touristy, but has a fair ammount of things to do. I have a timeshare in Depoe Bay and love it to death. If there were jobs that actually paid on the coast, I would consider living there myself. It is very wet and windy on the coast in Oregon. The upside is it is nice and cool in the dead of summer while it's scorching hot inland. It is not expensive, unless you are looking for beachfront property. Oregon is not far behind where you're from in terms of unemployment. I'm not familiar with anything south of Florence, so don't rule out looking down that way. Good Luck!

Old 08-29-2009, 04:48 PM

14 posts, read 91,212 times
I grew up in Manistee and I can ASSURE you, the Oregon coast is NOTHING like Lake MI. In fact, I used to want to live on the coast, bah-forget it. The water is only tolerable in a wetsuit. Maybe I have gone as far as my knees in the coast and it was freezing cold, numbing cold. I used to be the kid swimming in mid-May in MI so cold water doesn't usually bug me. Hands down, the Oregon coast is stunningly beautiful. It's impossible to take a bad picture, especially when gray and rainy. But if you are looking for Grand Haven/Ludington/South Haven-type beaches--keep heading towards southern Oregon or Cali. Good luck!

Old 08-30-2009, 11:44 AM

5 posts, read 11,051 times
Thank you everyone for the very helpful information. I was wondering about Brookings now. The weather looks like something I can handle a little bit better with the "banana belt?". I have already read some of the other posts about Brookings, but would still like a little more info if anyone has it. Thanks again

Old 08-31-2009, 06:41 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,550,483 times
Question Questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessbythewater View Post
Thank you everyone for the very helpful information. I was wondering about Brookings now. The weather looks like something I can handle a little bit better with the "banana belt?". I have already read some of the other posts about Brookings, but would still like a little more info if anyone has it. Thanks again
Here's the search results for this site, with the search terms: Brookings Orego .

http://www.city-data.com/forum/search.php?searchid=15331271

If you want info not on the posts in that search: what are your questions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon