Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 07:26 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,567,692 times

Advertisements

Is everyone here an indoors type? I handle the heat by getting up at 5 AM and working until it gets uncomfortable. Right now I'm putting a new roof on my house. It's out of bed, close up the house, skip breakfast, fill a 2 gallon jug with ice water and lemon juice, and get to work. About noon or 1 PM I knock off, take a shower to cool down, have lunch and take a nap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 11:11 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,409,664 times
That's normally the way it's done in hot places like Arizona.
Exactly what you describe, down to the cool shower.

Years ago, when I went to UofA in Tucson, I worked construction in the summer to help pay my way.
We were on the job site at daybreak, usually at 5am, worked until about 1 or 2pm, and then knocked off for the hot part of the day.

The worst part was getting up so damn friggin' early in the morning, but after work, you could go home and take a nap, and then later on, go out for the nice, warm, dry, sunless evening and night.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:05 PM

793 posts, read 1,324,582 times
I visit this board daily and also read Oregon newspapers online. I'm starting to get a bit concerned about Oregon weather...It's not the rain and dreariness, and it's not the cold, and it's really not even the heat. Humidity is a big red flag for me.

I'm a native Mainer who spent 20 odd years in California. I loved the cool weather in SF, but hated the extreme desert like heat in the suburbs. After we had kids, Mr. Flyer and I moved back to New England (mostly for the schools, but the weather played a part also.) The schools have been everything I remembered, the weather not so much.

I expected cold and snow. I didn't expect ice and wind storms that took the power out for days....I expected heat in the summer. I didn't expect constant humidity and thunderstorms that do nothing to cool things down. The weather has definitely changed over the years. My husband cringes at the mention of "global warming", so I don't use the term. He can call it anything he wants, but things have definitely changed here.

I guess I'm just ranting, and maybe hoping that the Oregon weather "averages" that I've seen are correct and you Oregonians can reassure me that your recent weather is indeed a fluke.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:06 PM

While humidity is high during the rainy season, the temps are low enough were it doesn't bother you.

During the summer, yes it can get hot and humid, but chances are there will be a nice breezy west wind that takes the edge off.

Otherwise.............hot and sticky.

But the good part is, the heat and humdity here is NOTHING like the east coast.

It hardly rains at all between July and October, and we don't normally have temps like we have been having lately for more than three or four weeks.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:26 PM

Thanks, MIKE. 75-80 degrees with just a touch of moisture in the air is my ideal.

When I read about your recent thunder and lighting storms, my thoughts were, "What the...?" Those babies need humidity to survive and I'm so hoping to get away from it.

Newspaper articles about drug arrests and petty crime don't phase me, but your recent weather forecasts have frightened me a bit. Maybe my priorities are a little off, but I know myself well.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:46 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,586,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
We go skinny-dipping in the basspond...
Just don't go skinny-dipping in the snapping turtle pond.

My sense is this summer is largely anomalous, but that there is a longer-term trend of more warmth and even more humidity, though I'll agree it's nowhere near as bad as the eastern seaboard or midwest.

We do have central air, but ironically only half our living space heats up- the rest is pretty nicely shaded. So if we want to be in the part of the house that's frying, to cool it down to bearable levels we have to make the shady end of the space an icebox.

We live on a busier street, so relying on overnight cooling with windows is a bit of a safety concern, but mostly an invitation to be kept up by traffic noise.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:51 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,734,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
Thanks, MIKE. 75-80 degrees with just a touch of moisture in the air is my ideal.
You also need to be more specific about WHERE you are asking about. Weather varies quite a bit over the state. On a single day in summer it can be between 55° and 105°, depending on what part of the state you are in.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:14 PM

The above is true, I was describing Portland weather.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
You also need to be more specific about WHERE you are asking about. Weather varies quite a bit over the state. On a single day in summer it can be between 55° and 105°, depending on what part of the state you are in.
Oops... I forgot to mention that we're considering the Salem area.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:53 PM

899 posts, read 2,930,601 times
So did everyone enjoy the light show after mid-night last night that lite up the I-5 corridor..I for one did not ..
Had it been in the day time it would have been easier to handle..
Radio Flyer this weather is totally out step for what Salem normally has this time of year..
So on high note stopped at EZ Orchards on my way home from Silverton and bought a Hermiston watermelon
that is so sweet it like red candy...YUMMMMM!
Have a good weekend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon