U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2009, 05:00 PM

37 posts, read 433,516 times

Advertisements

So I have been checking wunderground.com to see what the weather is like in Corvallis, OR compared to the weather here in Appleton, WI and it seems like lately the summer weather has been pretty similar; acutally the weather in Corvallis has been nicer and sunnier!

I was wondering if someone who has been to both Wisconsin (or somewhere in the midwest with comparable weather) and Corallis, OR area could tell me how they compare, weather-wise? I know the winter weather will be much different, so I am mainly wondering about the amount of sunny days/partly cloudy days VS rainy and cloudy days year round. I would like to hear it first-hand from someone who has lived in both places, but if anyone knows of a website that would have this info that would help, too.
What I'm mainly looking to get away from here in WI is how COLD it is in the winter, plus it doesn't feel like its really all that sunny in the winter anyways. I would definitly take rain over freezing cold!
Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 06:53 PM

4,722 posts, read 15,026,215 times
I lived in both Oregon (Portland area) and Wisconsin (Door County-now fulltime FIB). We spent time in Corvallis when an opportunity to move there came up.
We loved Oregon, beyond beautiful and nothing in Wisconsin can touch that, but Wisconsin weather , though more severe in winter, has far more sunny days and some of us like the seasons. Corvallis has MANY,I mean MANY rainy/misty/cloudy/gray days,though a milder climate year round. Wisconsin has very distinct seasons and alot more sun (albeit some of the sunshine is in below zero weather). You have to determine if you are an individual who will wither in months of grey,gloomy weather (but gorgeous scenery and the Pacific ocean or Mountains nearby and beautiful,sunny,mild in winter days popping up here and there) or can handle months of freezing weather where you could lose your life going out for the mail. but enjoy the drastic changes. Summers are great in both places,,so we wont count that. Some people can handle the months of grey alot more then months of snow/winter. Which are you? Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by nanannie; 09-10-2009 at 07:01 PM..

Old 09-10-2009, 07:56 PM

Thank you so much Nanannie! That was very helpful! Hmmmm...that IS a tough decision, though. I guess its more of something that I will have to try out to see how I really feel. I am thinking I might like Oregon better with the more mild tempatures and scenery, even if there are more cloudy days. I've always gotten kind of depressed during the winter here, and I'm beginning to think that whats bothering me is the inability to go outside without bundling up head to toe, not the cloudy days! Plus I seem to have a really hard time adjusting to very hot or really cold tempatures. I guess I will need to visit Oregon to be sure, though...roadtrip!!!!

Old 09-10-2009, 08:10 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,255,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieren View Post
I was wondering if someone who has been to both Wisconsin (or somewhere in the midwest with comparable weather) and Corvallis, OR area could tell me how they compare, weather-wise? I know the winter weather will be much different, so I am mainly wondering about the amount of sunny days/partly cloudy days VS rainy and cloudy days year round.
There's no comparison. Wisconsin has a continental climate with a mix of sun and clouds year-round. The precipitation peak comes in summer.

Corvallis has a maritime temperate climate with Mediterranean influences. The year is sharply divided between a cloudy rainy winter, and a sunny arid summer. As with most West Coast climates, Corvallis has its precipitation peak in December and has virtually no rain at all between June and October.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:53 PM

Thank you, Steve 97415! So what is a typical Oregon winter, in the Corvallis area? Is it like endless days of clouds and rain, or does the sun peek out once and awhile? Is the temp. mild enough where you can still do outdoor activities without wearing layers of winter clothing? I think that is the main thing that gets to me during Wisconsin winters, that you can't even step foot outside without being comepletely covered from head to toe in layers of clothing! LOL and its usually too cold to do anything like go for a walk or hiking or anything, even if it is sunny.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:59 PM

15,274 posts, read 38,279,067 times
I grew up in Illinois and have been in Oregon for almost 20 years now.

It is grayer out here in the winter. I remember many bright winter days that were freezing in Illinois. I have no problems with the rain and gray here, but I embrace the rain. I go out and watch waterfalls gush in the winter. It's incredible. I personally find sunlight and freezing cold more depressing than rainy and warmer. Being cooped up is a bigger problem for me. I go house crazy after a while.

If you are okay throwing on some rain gear and heading out, you'll be fine.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:42 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,255,449 times
Winters in Corvallis are pretty much back-to-back days of clouds and light rain. There is heavy rain during storms and misty conditions in between them. Sometimes the sun peeks out in between storm cells, but it isn't significant.

There are different kinds of cold weather. I had friends from North Dakota come visit me in Corvallis during early spring a number of years ago. They complained of never being able to feel comfortable. You might think that people who face temperatures of minus 20 with aplomb wouldn't be so perturbed by temperatures in the upper 40's. But temperatures in the 40's and 50's with 90-100% humidity for months and months on end is different than occasional zero-degree temperatures with dry snow and 30% humidity. You can wear layers of clothes in a relatively dry cold climate. But you gain nothing in comfort by sweating underneath clothes that trap body perspiration in a humid climate. You have to dress differently and adapt to a cooler sense of comfort. Polypro and SmartWool are your winter friends.
As I've said on other threads, it isn't so much winter, but the long drawn-out gray spring that runs from late February all the way through June that gets to most people. Many years summer still has not arrived by the Fourth of July. Midwesterners are often surprised by the displacement of seasons here, most of which start about 5 weeks later than what you are accustomed to.

As Silverfall pointed out, the worst thing is to let the weather give you cabin fever. You need to suit up and get outside no matter what the weather is like.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:02 PM

15,274 posts, read 38,279,067 times
Steve has a good point about clothing here. Getting a good breathable coat is important. My hubby's North Face coat has zippers in the arm pits for ventilation. If you plan to get outdoors in the winter spend money on a good coat. It will make the outdoors much more enjoyable.

You don't want the big michelin man winter coat out here. You'll sweat too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon