Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2009, 09:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,039 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving out west. However, I am really torn about where exactly would suit me best. If you have any input, it would be greatly appreciated!

Important to me:
1. Good Schools/Family Friendly/Reasonably Low Crime
2. Affordable Housing
3. Emphasis on Art/A Little Bit "Hippie"
4. Sunny
5. Welcoming of Diversity
6. Many Things To Do
7. Prefer a Larger City

I am also considering somewhere in Colorado. If you know anywhere there that would suit my needs then please let me know.

Thanks, guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 09:39 AM

15,567 posts, read 40,394,510 times
Eugene is the hippie city in Oregon. I wouldn't call it sunny though. The only sunny places in Oregon are in central Oregon and down in southern Oregon. Bend and Ashland would meet most of the criteria except for affordable.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:31 AM

716 posts, read 2,815,852 times
You won't get "large city" and "sunny" in Oregon. I'd recommend Louisville, Colorado or maybe around Sacramento, CA.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:17 AM

155 posts, read 375,765 times
I agree davefr.
Sacramento Ca fits your criteria perfectly...There are higher areas of crime in some cities surrounding Sac but there are also some very nice places with not as much crime.
Fact is that if you are looking for a larger city, for the most part there will be a higher crime rate.
best of luck
White Mountain

Old 09-23-2009, 04:27 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,816,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davefr View Post
You won't get "large city" and "sunny" in Oregon. I'd recommend Louisville, Colorado or maybe around Sacramento, CA.
Davis, CA?

Old 09-23-2009, 04:59 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,466,157 times
It's important to understand that the only places that are affordable in this country are those that are possessed of some feature that turns a lot of people off: too cold or too rainy in winter, too hot in summer, too isolated, too blue collar, bad schools, horrendous traffic, high crime, etc. If you are looking for what everyone else is looking for, then supply-and-demand pressures will ensure that it will cost you a lot to buy into such a community. The key is to determine what kind of "imperfection" you can most easily live with. I can't think of any place on the West Coast where "sunny" and "affordable" both come together. Sacramento and surrounding areas are affordable only by California standards. Chico is a possibility, but at 80,000 I wouldn't really call it a larger city. You don't mention being a heat sissy, so based on the other criteria you've listed, my main suggestions would be:

1. Albuquerque
2. Tucson
3. Austin
4. San Antonio
5. Scottsdale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon