Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 03:41 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times

Advertisements

I would not assume that he is not considering several options. I think city data is a great platform to learn about places, especially if conditions to not allow one to visit in person.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:11 PM

134 posts, read 634,014 times
Thanks for posting many helpful information about Oregon and its best areas to live! You guys have been very helpful; I deeply appreciate it. It's a very hard decision I have to make between Oregon and the Midwest where I am from. I am already familiar with the Midwest especially Illinois; I decided I will not give up on the idea of moving to Oregon without going up there to visit and to see for myself first along with a tour of WOU and several cities on the way from Portland Int'l Airport soon. I have plenty of time until I start graduate school in Summer 2010 or Fall 2010 anyway.

Thanks,
Mitch

Old 10-11-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchArk87 View Post
Thanks for posting many helpful information about Oregon and its best areas to live! You guys have been very helpful; I deeply appreciate it. It's a very hard decision I have to make between Oregon and the Midwest where I am from. I am already familiar with the Midwest especially Illinois; I decided I will not give up on the idea of moving to Oregon without going up there to visit and to see for myself first along with a tour of WOU and several cities on the way from Portland Int'l Airport soon. I have plenty of time until I start graduate school in Summer 2010 or Fall 2010 anyway.

Thanks,
Mitch

Not sure how the other Midwestern universities stack up to WOU, but best luck finding the right fit. Oregon is definitely worth visiting, a lovely state.

One issue which may not be obvious, but argues against WOU is the budget situation in the state of Oregon. Oregon has been disinvesting in higher ed for the last decade or so, and the current financial situation has not helped. Although I am a federal employee, I have an office on campus of Southern Oregon University. It has been painful to watch the faculty suffer pay freezes, pay cuts, and outright layoffs twice over the last five years. Apparently, the big universities (Oregon State, University of Oregon) has a lot of leverage at the state level, and they seem to be able to survives. The smaller universities have some of the lowest faculty pay in the West, even as housing prices have skyrocketed. So morale is pretty low. I personally worry about WOU, because one has to ask why we need another university when we already have three huge state universities in the Willamette Valley. Nothing against the school, but the state budget situation is a real mess, and I don't see Oregonians fixing it anytime soon.

Sorry for so much detail, and it may have no bearing on the program you are pursuing, but it is only fair to mention it.

Generally, my impression is that the midwestern states value education and fund it more so than western states. That is one of the appealing features of that region to me. Anyhow, best wishes!

Old 12-01-2009, 10:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
There is a redneck presence. Where isn't there in this country? Or in other countries even with a similar demographic, like the bogans of Australia?

There are areas in Washington and California just as redneck as, for example, Klamath Falls or Eagle Point in Oregon.

However, Oregon just cannot be considered redneck, overall, because it's not.
I'd say Washington is the most redneck state out of the three west coast states... I live up there and there are rednecks everywhere. All you have to do is drive ten or fifteen miles from seattle, and your in the boondocks. Plus, east of the mountains its all ranches and farms.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:21 AM

1,082 posts, read 4,717,719 times
Please don't confound rednecks with Hillbillies. The two are quite different in where they arose, what their political and social orientation are, and many other factors. I get tired of people using pejorative labels without an adequate knowledge of the English language.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:47 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
OP: yes, how observant, please tell all your friends. additionally: we're highly overpopulated. the non-desert side is moss infested. today the humidity at 10 AM is 90%.

*you probably don't want to come here*

Kate

Hi Kate!

Old 12-04-2009, 03:54 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
Please don't confound rednecks with Hillbillies. The two are quite different in where they arose, what their political and social orientation are, and many other factors. I get tired of people using pejorative labels without an adequate knowledge of the English language.
They are quite similar though, you must admit. If I hadn't been born and raised in the South, I might have lumped the two together as well. I think most often do. I think hillbillies have better music, though! Love me some footstompin' knee-slappin' hillbilly music...

Old 12-04-2009, 04:13 PM

5,458 posts, read 8,178,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I think hillbillies have better music, though!
As well as better WHITE LIGHTNING!! Gimmee some of that moonshine whiskey.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
As well as better WHITE LIGHTNING!! Gimmee some of that moonshine whiskey.

LOL! Yea, hillbilly music rules. I'll take one Doc Watson, Allison Krauss, or Johnny Cash over a dozen Garth Brooks, but that's just me.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:55 PM

18 posts, read 67,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
They are quite similar though, you must admit. If I hadn't been born and raised in the South, I might have lumped the two together as well. I think most often do. I think hillbillies have better music, though! Love me some footstompin' knee-slappin' hillbilly music...
Hillbilly music is better. There appears to be some intermarriage between the two groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon