Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 12:15 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,047,056 times

Advertisements

DuncansMom, just PM me, its way easier.
Ummm, lets see, off the top of my head, Im thinkin its about 3hrs from here to Newport....roundabouts....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,461 times
Default House on coast

Am currently living in Brookings , where I will be selling my place in town as I want to move up the Chetco river farther . $60,000.00 . 55 and older park . $300 per mo . space rent . 2 blocks from beach . Newly remodeled . Cannot live anywhere near Columbia county , due to law enforcement and court system corruption , and currently in litigation(false arrest,illegal search and seizure ) . I truly believe no-one in the courthouse has read the constitution or is familiar with the Uniform Trial Court Rules .

Old 12-15-2007, 03:12 PM

8 posts, read 38,746 times
Cool I'm Planning on moving to Florence

Hi My Name is Tamara. My parents live there. I want to take my son up there to put him into school there, maybe he'll do better. Does anyone know how the Siuslaw High School is? He is a Senior and our California schools are the worst. Also I need to get a job and rental. Any good web sites? Thanks

Old 12-22-2007, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,443 times
Default advice on Brookings for relo

My husband and I both in our late 30's are thinking about moving to Brookings in about a year or so. I am concerned, as we are used to San Diego weather and my husband is a letter carrier and hates the rain, however he loves the lifestyle, fishing, beaches, hiking and most of all his dad which lives in Crescent City. We visited in June of 06 and fell in love with Harris Beach... that is heaven on earth as far as I'm concerned. We absolutely HATE southern California.... houses right on top of each other, completely unaffordable... everything that people said about California.... I completely agree! I'm sick of traffic, rude people, brown uglyness, Crime, Gangs... oh god... I want out of here. I know we are soooooo ready for the lifestyle, I'm just worried about being cold and stuck indoors more than we are used to.

I guess, what my question is... is there anyone reading this that was worried about moving out there because of the rain and cooler weather but made the move anyway and got used to it and it doesn't bother them anymore? I'm thinking that I would get acclimated. I don't HAVE to have sunny weather all the time, although being cold all the time doesn't sound like a picnic either. I'm thinking that for all the hiking, picture taking, fishing, beach combing, and being able to afford a house would make up for the weather. I've never lived anywhere but SD... I'm scard!

Any Letter Carriers out there??? how hard is it?

Thank you for reading and any info would be great!
- Sick of San Diego

Old 04-11-2008, 09:41 AM

10 posts, read 34,737 times
Talking Moving to the West Coast

Tiffany,
I am directing this to you, as you seem to be the only poster in Oregon whom actually posts decent information without clouded judgments (pun intented). I think that I would like to re-locate towards the northern coast, as that would be close to Canada.

I am originally from Alberta Canada where it's winter from October to Mid June, I don't think I would mind being rained on for a winter as opposed to being snowed on!! I have now lived on the east coast in Florida for 6 years, but have a need to move closer to my family. I am looking into Oregon as I want to continue living near the ocean, I don't want to live in -40 with snow and ice laden roads.

The one thing that not one poster on here has addressed is jobs and hardly any on housing. I would like to know how hard it is to find a job, the unemployment rates, the rates of pay... etc. Plus what are the rental amounts like? I have a dog, and of course she would come with me, but I have never found it easy to find rental accommodation's in any city/town when you have a dog, so that is not my concern. As for buying a house, I will wait till I find the town that's right for me.

Thank you so much,

Denise

Old 04-11-2008, 10:09 AM

Hi Denise. Id be more than happy to help you out with what I can.Just keep in mind, im down along the Southern Oregon coast in Coos Bay. So im not sure how much advice i can give for the Northern coast.
As for my posts re-weather....you oughta see the attacks I got from some doom and gloomers up in the Portland thread about rain/clouds! Yipes!! Ah well, always gonna have the haters, right?
So lets see, if youre used to Oct-Jun snow, and dont think the rain would bother you, the Oregon Coast may be your place! We do get an occasional day of snow along here, but its maybe a couple days out of the year, tops. And you sure as heck wont be stuck by deep snowdrifts! Sand, yeah, snow, nah...and thats the entire Oregon coast.
im not sure what the jobs/housing is like along the Northern Coast. I can tell you its probably going to be lower paying jobs than in most places. Housing can go either way. Personal experience along the Southern Ore. Coast is that I make more here in my job than I did in the Clackamas area. Same w/my husband. BUT, we have quite specialized jobs too, that not hardly anyone in this area can do. Especially mine, my husbands was more general. Anyhow, my best advice for job seekers would be to check out the Oregon Employment pages. You can search in each paticular city/area for the jobs and what they are paying. State of Oregon: Employment Department then go to job seekers, then to browse Oregon job listings, and then you can go by locations. I see theres jobs in Tillamook from 42.19hr, to 7.95hr and thats just the first page. anyhow, hopefully that will help you.
now, as for housing, again, ive never rented/bought along the Northern coast, but here, its quite the range. When we moved here 5yrs ago, we rented a teeny tiny 3bdrm duplex that took our med. sized dog w/a 150.00pet deposit and it ran us 500.00month. WE then rented a 2500sqft bay view 4bdrm house for 600.00month (that took 2 dogs and 2 cats) but we knew the people slightly, and in exchange for such low rent, we helped make much needed repairs and renovations on the house. We bought our house last summer, after several months of searching, and got it for under 150thous. and its a needs some work 4bdrm in a nice location. houses I know of in the area, i know of an older 2bdrm going for 150, and a really nice 3bdr for 260. both within a few blocks. Rentals, ive seen from the duplex like we had, up to some houses for about 1800.month.
If youve got your heart set for the Oregon Coast, youve sure chosen a beautiful area! I LOVE the Northern coast too! Thats actually where I had wanted to move to, but my job offer and husbands family drew us down here instead. No complaints though, i love it here.
Anyhow, i hope this helped you maybe somewhat. And hopefully you will get more specific advice for the area youre looking for!
Best of luck!
Tiffany

Old 04-11-2008, 11:14 AM

Tiffany,

Thank you so much, you are an incredible help!!

Denise

Old 04-11-2008, 12:21 PM

Denise,
anytime please let me know if theres anything else i might be able to help you with.
BTW, its an incredibly beautiful day today here! 72degrees and clear as can be. LOVE IT! A real bummer for those who say its always cold, foggy and dreary along the Oregon coast. lol

happy day!
Tiffany

Old 04-11-2008, 12:25 PM

I will, it nice to know that not everyone is negative, and can actually find the positives in life. While I don't know exactly where I'll be moving, (it will mostly depend on a job) or when, if I have anymore questions I'll be sure to ask you. I does look like a vacation to the coast line is in order!!
Enjoy your beautiful weather today!! and Take Care
Denise

Old 04-11-2008, 02:10 PM

Hey Denise,
no worries, theres plenty of other happy, positive people here in Oregon. Some born, raised here like me, others have moved from other places and found this to be where they are happiest. Of course, theres the doom and gloomers, but where arent there? lol
Vacations along the coast are a real treat! mostly...i do recall a few from my childhood that were spent miserable in a tent while the skies poured and the winds howled...that was my folks idea of a happy family weekend...ugh. lol
okay...im off and out to be about!
happy day!
Tiff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon