Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2007, 04:20 PM

49 posts, read 330,971 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about the property taxes in Southern Oregon? We are looking at Medford and Grant's Pass.

In Texas, I pay 3.5 % of the value of my home, so I am paying almost $11,000/year for the priviledge of living on my street. That sucks!!! I looked into Phoenix, AZ and the property tax there is so awesome. How is it in Oregon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 11:14 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,833,003 times
It's going to be lower than your Texas rates. City-data puts the average property tax rates on the page for each city.

Grants Pass is 1.1%
Medford is 0.7%

Old 09-06-2007, 09:32 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,569,721 times
There is no "Oregon" property tax. It is all local, and will depend on your local jurisdiction. Statewide, operating levies are restricted to 1.5% of the 1991 assessed value, plus 3% a year. Local bond levies are outside of this limitation. I'm rural, so my property taxes don't even reach the 1.5% limit.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:59 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,008,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81bluewater View Post
Can anyone tell me about the property taxes in Southern Oregon? We are looking at Medford and Grant's Pass.

In Texas, I pay 3.5 % of the value of my home, so I am paying almost $11,000/year for the priviledge of living on my street. That sucks!!! I looked into Phoenix, AZ and the property tax there is so awesome. How is it in Oregon?
We are rural in southern Oregon, and our property tax is about 1/3 of what we paid in Washington County while living in Beaverton.

Not sure what we'd pay if we were in the city of Medford's urban area.

But our home insurance is a bit higher out here in the rural area, due to increased risk of wildfire.

Not much more, maybe another $150 per year.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 8,861 times
Default Oregon Taxes

Quick answer, Medford is close to 1.5% based on your formula. Example taxes on a $300K (Market Value) with a $260K "County Assessed Value" would be around $4K. They have a state law that allows the "Accessed Value" to go up 3% a year, and guess what, it goes up "3 %" a year. On the other hand Oregon has an almost 10% income tax and one of the highest capital gains taxes. So folks with some means tend to leave. Oregon has some real state budget issues comming as most of the jobs are State, Coutny, City governement (union) with unafforable Public Employee Retirement Guarantees & Benefits. Housing prices have dropped 40% in the Medford area due to overbuilding and the loss of jobs from the private sector economy. Granted we don't have a sales tax (yet) but at least you have a choice when spending. Lot's of folks move to Vancouver, WA with low taxes and drive accross the bridge to Portland to buy thier goods with no sales tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81bluewater View Post

Old 10-31-2011, 12:59 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,569,721 times
I just heard last weekend that in some areas, the RMV (Real Market Value) has fallen enough that it is lowering property taxes. The assessed value and RMV are now the same. Most of the properties are evidently in West Salem.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:11 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,976,735 times
The tax rate for Josephine County varies on just where you live in the county. This link is for Josephine County: http://www.co.josephine.or.us/Files/...9%20X%2012.pdf, as for Jackson county has one of the highest median property tax rates in the United States, it ranks 445th out of 3145 counties in the US. the median tax is about 1870.00 per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon