Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 04:24 PM

14 posts, read 146,799 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I've been following the board for about a week and just wanted to introduce myself and say hello.

I am moving to the Oregon coast from San Diego in a few weeks. I lived in the Seattle area up until about 6 months ago and I miss the rain. I know some people will think I'm strange for wanting to move from San Diego to the Oregon Coast, but it is a perfect fit for me.

I am self-employed (I do radio and television commercials), and I like a slower lifestyle. I don't really need a nightlife and being that close to the ocean where I can take my dog for walks is going to be great. I am also a sucker for a good winter storm and I hear the Oregon coast has some impressive ones.

The issue I've been running into so far is trying to find a place that allows pets. If anyone has any good leads on rentals that would be great. I check craigslist but there aren't as many postings as I'm sure there are places. I am looking primarily along the central coast from Lincoln City down to Florence.

Thanks in Advance,

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 05:23 PM

10 posts, read 49,593 times
There are loads of them. Do a google for rentals+(insert city name here), oregon and then check the major rental agencies. Also check the local newspapers online sites.

Newport News Times is one
www.newportnewstimes.com

Pacific Skinny is another
www.pacificskinny.com

Suislaw news covers Florence:
http://www.thesiuslawnews.com/

Quote:
I am self-employed (I do radio and television commercials), and I like a slower lifestyle. I don't really need a nightlife and being that close to the ocean where I can take my dog for walks is going to be great. I am also a sucker for a good winter storm and I hear the Oregon coast has some impressive ones.
Yup, sounds like you'll fit in well.

Old 05-06-2007, 05:47 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,833,453 times
Welcome to the Oregon coast. Yes the best way is to use a newspaper online to find a rental. Also try this one but look for rentals at the coast.
http://classifieds.registerguard.com:8080/ (broken link)
The Register Guard is the Eugene newspaper but also has ads for the coast. Good luck.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:00 PM

Thanks for the replies Waterlily and FeatheryFern. I appreciate the additional resources. I'm still in San Diego until the end of the month so getting a hold of the printed publications will be difficult, but the online resources are great.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:14 PM

44 posts, read 235,492 times
Google Property managers in those areas as well.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:47 PM

4 posts, read 36,868 times
When my wife and I relocated to the coast, we found it extremely difficult to find someone willing to rent to us, as we have two dogs. Property management companies are out, don't waste your time. We looked from Lincoln City to Newport and finally found a place, not a perfect fit, but it was temporary. In any case, the local newspapers are your best bet, Newsguard or News Times on the north.

A word about the storms, They can be quite severe and last fall/winter they were horrendous, we lost power more often than it was on. Generally after the storm is over we like to check on neighbors, neighbors don't really give a damn about one another. I grew up in an ethnic neighborhood on the East Coast, so I'm used to the closeness, you won't find that here. In my opinion, locals tend to be a bit xenophobic toward out-of-staters. My wife and I have decided to sell and move back East. I hope you like the dreary weather and the depressing attitudes that go along with it. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but you need to hear it from someone not from the Oregon Coast. BTW, I filled some potholes in my street, for the benefit of the neighborhood and not one neighbor has stopped to say thank you, proves my point convincingly.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:55 PM

I appreciate all points of view Polish-Pride. So thank you for taking the time to respond. The power outage issue is a big one. I guess I need to find out more about that because even with the severe storm it seems that power is pretty stable on the coast compared to what I expected.

I have a couple of options on living right now but they aren't really permanent solutions. I'll have to get some local papers when I visit in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:56 PM

18 posts, read 87,009 times
Polish Pride is bang on. People are for the most part just plain rude. I don't mean that they say rude things to your face, it is their whole manner and the way they conduct themselves here on the coast. You will find some genuinely nice people, but they are far and few between. I think I am one of the most appoachable people around because of my British accent, people love to talk to me - but not here. I have lived in a lot of different places and the Oregon Coast has so far been the worst. People like to gossip, they are clickish and don't like outsiders especially Californians and we are getting plenty of people moving from CA. Trouble with CA's is they price out the locals because they can put cash down for a house. There is a unspoken distrust and dislike for people out of state (any state). People will pretend to be your friend until they have what they want and they seem to be able drop people very easily. Tradesmen don't call back or turn up and are frequently late. There is a decidely blase & lazy attitude towards working and the Meth problems around here are out of control.

Polish was also bang on about the weather......it's one thing to like the rain because it makes things green but it is a whole other story when you get 9-10 months of rain, not drizzle but rain. For 6 out of those 9-10 months it is constantly raining and never a peek of any blue sky for months on end. The summers are lovely but the temps are generally in the late 60's, early 70's. You can't get your shorts on & sit on the beach because it constanly blows 30mph with a cold wind, you'll be lucky if the summer temps reach 75.

I also knew a person who relocated to Newport from San Diego and they barely made it 18 months before selling up and heading back. They got hit with Capital Gains Tax, they hated it so much here that they didn't care to wait another 6 months to not get hit with it.

Each to their own though.........Having Sunshine and warmth all year can probably be a tad tedious but you are going to the complete other extreme. Damp , moist , grey , rainy , depressing , wet , flooded , windy , blowy , are just a few words that come to mind when I think of the Oregon Coast. Just have plenty of hobbies because trust me you will need them. A job would also be a huge plus to keep you busy but they aren't many quality ones.

Welcome & Good Luck
As you are arriving, I hope to be leaving......no offence

Old 05-09-2007, 07:11 PM

Thanks britgirl. It's too bad you've had such a bad experience there. I lived 10 years in Seattle, so I am looking forward to going back to the cooler temps and rain. It has been over 90 degrees here the last couple of days and that's too much for me.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:16 PM

413 posts, read 1,363,925 times
I am planning on moving out of Florida and have been looking at the Oregon coast. First of all you can't say all people there are rude. Have you two taken into account maybe they are like people in other states and even Britain who aren't friendly right off the start until they get to know you. I was told people in Hawaii were standoffish but found that if I treated them with respect they would be respectful of me. It is called attitude. One woman told me that most mainlanders come with an attitude that they are better than the people in Hawaii. I even hate it here in Florida when what we call snowbirds come with attitudes of "We don't it that way back home". It is all in the attitude as to how you will be treated. Besides if you two are so unhappy move elsewhere to a place where you will be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon