Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2011, 12:28 AM

5 posts, read 12,262 times

Advertisements

My husband, 2 year old daughter and 8month old son are planning on moving from our small town that has nothing more than a Walmart. Were looking for a town like I said that is very community active when it comes to events and bringing the town together. My husband does downhill mountain biking, hunting and fishing, I would like there to be as many choices in activities for my children to choose from. I would like to have recreational activities, such as parks trails etc, I do photography so that is also important. We live on a good neighborhood in a 3bd 1bth house and pat 750$mo so were looking for about the same criteria. If you have any towns in mind were pretty open to anywhere right now..
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 04:26 PM

5,457 posts, read 8,173,150 times
A lot of people might be like me. Until I Googled it, I didn't know what what "Christmas With the Kranks" was.

It turns out that it's a movie I will never watch. Almost all of the reviews are like Roger Ebert's:

"It's a holiday movie of stunning awfulness that gets even worse when it turns gooey at the end."

The whole thing here: Christmas with the Kranks :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews

Last edited by karlsch; 11-20-2011 at 05:16 PM..

Old 11-21-2011, 01:58 AM

49 posts, read 94,545 times
I think Christmas With the Kranks was a great movie. People who are paid for there opinion usually give good movies bad marks and bad movies good marks. It has never made sense to me.

If you are wanting cheap rent, you might want to check out eastern oregon. If you are looking for a city with a community atmosphere, snowy winters and lots of access to outdoor recreation, you might want to check out Bend Oregon and surrounding areas. If you go anymore to the western side of oregon, you get more rain and not much snow.

remember the job market is pretty shaky here in Oregon!

Old 11-21-2011, 04:42 AM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
I've never seen the movie so I have no idea what kind of town that is. I'm not sure you can rent a house that cheap in the valley that is in a town that has what you are looking for. I agree that Bend Oregon would work and maybe Grants Pass, but I have nothing to go on since I didn't see the movie.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:19 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,436,394 times
I watched about fifteen minutes of that movie while stuck in a hotel room in Ogden on a Sunday night. Uhg.

Anyways, perhaps Lakeview Oregon, Paisely Oregon, Burns Oregon all might fit what you're looking for. I think you're looking for a small close knit town vs. a larger city.

The problem with that though, is finding a job of any type. Unless you can ride a horse and rope cattle.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:56 AM

86 posts, read 266,380 times
If I'm remembering that movie accurately, then you're looking for a town where everyone is the same and any act of independence or individuality is smothered wholeheartedly?

Old 11-21-2011, 01:45 PM

17,634 posts, read 22,630,766 times
For great Community Spirit, what comes to my mind, are some of the small towns around. Like Glendale for one. I don't know if they still come out with 'The South County News', tthey used to talk about the Spirit.

All the families would go to the football, basketball, soccer games, etc. To root the team on. Glendale won lots of games.

City of Glendale, Oregon - Our little site on the web -

Old 11-22-2011, 02:22 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,044,034 times
Never watched the movie, but I read the John Grisham book that the movie was based on...

If you end up moving to Eugene... IMO the neighborhood that would most closely match the Cranks neighborhood is probably the neighborhood which is currently protesting Bascom Village - the low-income housing development. That neighborhood is the Gilham elementary area north of Crescent/Green Acres road and east of Gilham road. And, ironically, that neighborhood also on its eastern side borders Springfield (I-5 is the border between Springfield and Eugene). People like things to look a certain way in that area... with heavily landscaped yards and McMansions and pseudo craftsman cheaply built overpriced homes and whatnot... HOA's and Hispanic gardner's with leaf blower's and so forth...

We used to live in that neighborhood but thankfully our kids finally completed Gilham so we were free to move to an area where people aren't so cookie cutter.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:30 AM

84 posts, read 147,896 times
Thats funny, cause I'm looking for a town right out of "Dawn of the Dead". I wanna walk down the straight, looking at the pretty houses and wondering if mobs of the angry undead will be chasing me as a food source. Oh thats right, its Portland! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon