Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 10:28 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,395,792 times

Advertisements

What exactly is the weather like in the more populated areas of Oregon? Like Portland, Eugene, Corvallis,etc? Is there a lot of rain? Cloudy days? Severe Weather[T-Storms, Tornados]? and What is it like for pets, is it a pet friendly state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 01:17 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,173 times
yes

Old 10-13-2009, 01:17 PM

899 posts, read 2,942,532 times
I'm mom to a cocker spaniel and ask him about the weather he would tell its fine..Very few thunder storms , lots of rain for good sleeping days, and wonderfull summers to be out in doggy-ing around..we live in salem and salem misses some of the weather created by the columbia river, meaning an occasional thunderstorm that the valley doesn't see and wind..No severe weather or tornado's....
Oregon is a very pet friendly state.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:22 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
We don't get tornados like the midwest. The kids do do earthquake drills here at school rather than tornado drills like I did back in the Midwest as a kid. We do get the occasional tornado around here, but they are like 0-1 on the tornado scales.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:11 PM

378 posts, read 1,570,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
I'm mom to a cocker spaniel and ask him about the weather he would tell its fine..Very few thunder storms , lots of rain for good sleeping days, and wonderfull summers to be out in doggy-ing around..we live in salem and salem misses some of the weather created by the columbia river, meaning an occasional thunderstorm that the valley doesn't see and wind..No severe weather or tornado's....
Oregon is a very pet friendly state.
My Cocker Spaniel agrees with your Cocker Spaniel.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:35 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,395,792 times
What areas of Oregon would you recommend to 3 first time movers with a cat?

Old 10-16-2009, 11:10 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,188,781 times
This is a serious question...but what exactly is meant by a "pet-friendly" state? I've seen this statement several times. Are some states UNfriendly to pets??

I've lived in multiple states and kinda thought they were all "pet friendly" in that no one cared if you had one or not and no one bothered you about it one way or another.

We've had dogs, cats, and sometimes horses and cows in rainy weather (Willamette Valley), desert (E. Oregon, Carrizozo and Roswell, NM), snowy (E. WA and upstate NY) and hot and humid (MS and TN). They all thrived.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:51 PM

20 posts, read 81,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
This is a serious question...but what exactly is meant by a "pet-friendly" state? I've seen this statement several times. Are some states UNfriendly to pets??

I've lived in multiple states and kinda thought they were all "pet friendly" in that no one cared if you had one or not and no one bothered you about it one way or another.

We've had dogs, cats, and sometimes horses and cows in rainy weather (Willamette Valley), desert (E. Oregon, Carrizozo and Roswell, NM), snowy (E. WA and upstate NY) and hot and humid (MS and TN). They all thrived.
I, of course, cannot speak for everybody that uses the term "pet-friendly state" in these forums. However, as somebody that is currently concerned about this, to me it means the following.
  • A higher percentage of motels, cabins, and camping areas that will accept dogs.
  • A higher percentage of state and city parks and beaches that allow dogs on a leash.
  • Greater availability of off-leash dog parks.
  • Higher availability of outdoor restaurants and other stores where dogs are welcome.
  • A higher percentage of apartment, condominium, and house rentals that will accept cats and/or dogs.
  • A higher percentage of special events where pet owners can get together and show off their dogs and cats for pure fun.
Again, that is merely my opinion. However, I think it is well backed up by the handful of websites out there that deal with nothing but this subject, especially regarding dogs.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:01 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,188,781 times
Thanks!
Makes sense...

Old 12-02-2009, 02:23 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,065 times
Rentals: not pet friendly, for the most part. I got lucky & have no pet deposit. The previous place had me put a huge deposit around a grand - included cleaning deposit. I told the landlord I had 2 cats & a dog. I didn't mention the rabbit that lived in a cage. When he found that out, he had a fit.

Otherwise, it's pet friendly. Beware, though, there are critters here that can prey upon pets. It's sort of the wild west out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon