Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 06:40 PM

398 posts, read 1,317,591 times

Advertisements

For those who are familiar with both Sandy and Estacada, what would you say are the biggest differences between the two (besides the obvious larger population of Sandy)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 07:44 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,967 times
Sandy is on the main highway to Mt Hood, and is a lot busier, more urban/modern, and will give you a bigger town feeling than Estacada, which is the last stop on a small highway that heads up into the national forest and beyond.
Estacada is very quiet compared to Sandy.
As far as population goes,the size is only part of it.
Sandy is probably twice the size of Estacada, but more connected to the Portland sprawl which makes it seem bigger.

Steelhead and Salmon fishing in the Sandy river is much better than the Clackamas.
But if you like Trout fishing, the Clackamas is better than the Sandy.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 10-19-2009 at 07:58 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 01:48 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,469,061 times
What first comes to mind.

Sandy: boardheads, drunks, kids driving their parents' fast cars - and crashing them, looks like any suburb of Portland (aside from the views), where the winter tourists stop on their way to Mt. Hood, bursting at the seams growing pains, wants to be a mountain town but can't quite hold that reputation. If you want a new house, move to Sandy.

Estacada: hillbilly meets million dollar homes, wild, beautiful, a patina of bar room brawls, multi-generational residents, logging town, lots of back roads to wherever you want go go but you'd better be armed (). If you want land, move to Estacada.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:59 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,967 times
W.F. gives you the plain honest truth.
Especially the armed part.
For years, the woods and forest roads close to Estacada have been known as "White Trash Heaven".
I once bought a forest map from the Estacada ranger station and spent some time exploring the backroads up there.
A lot of questionable activities go on in the woods above Estacada.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 10-20-2009 at 11:08 PM..

Old 10-21-2009, 05:30 PM

398 posts, read 1,317,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
W.F. gives you the plain honest truth.
Especially the armed part.
For years, the woods and forest roads close to Estacada have been known as "White Trash Heaven".
I once bought a forest map from the Estacada ranger station and spent some time exploring the backroads up there.
A lot of questionable activities go on in the woods above Estacada.
LOL - that's funny. I've spent just about as much time in the "woods above Estacada" than I have on the slopes (ie, a LOT of time)! I could drive around up their blindfolded. And I agree with both of you - I've ran into some **serious** shadiness up there. SERIOUS shadiness. I finally stopped going up there. It's unfortunate, because it is just such a remarkable area.

I was actually more curious about the town itself. I've been there a million times but it was always just for a quick stop - a bite to eat. I am seriously considering Sandy as my future home, and got to thinking it has a lot of similarities with Estacada. I don't really know where I'm going with all of this - LOL - just spinning my wheels, weighing my options.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,156 times
I grew up in Estacada and can't wait to move back, too beautiful not too miss. I have a 5 year old and would love for him to grow up out there. The shaddiness everyone speaks of is a choice, if you try to find it you may but if you are just living in town enjoying nature from time to time up the river it is wonderful. Summer expecially is gorgous there. I will be moving back. And I am okay if many choose Sandy because then my beautiful town wont grow to big and turn into Sandy lol

Old 05-09-2011, 03:36 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,435,602 times
In my opinion, having lived in Estacada, and still having family there, and having gone to school and spent a lot of time in Sandy... it depends on what you want.

Estacada was never meant to be long term town, it was first created as an amusement park, train station, and to support the towns that supported Dams on the Clackamas river. It was expected to fade away after the trains stopped.

Sandy on the other hand was on the Barlow trail. It has had no choice but to grow, and now that it's on the other side of the UBG, it's an attractive place for those who still want a piece of land "in the country."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon