Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 12:15 PM

15,487 posts, read 40,178,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa E View Post
Hey another question about Corvalis ... while we're on the topic ... I think I remember reading somewhere a poster saying something like that Corvalis isn't surrounded by "as much natural beauty" as the rest of Oregon .. I think that was the exact words ... Now that Corvalis is up higher on our list of places to relocate to, due to the engineering school there, I'd like someone to tell me if this is true in your opinion and if so in what way??? Corvalis is one area we didn't make it to when we vacationed in Oregon, so I'd like to know before we move there if we do! I see that we can take that one road almost all the way to Newport from there =)
Thanks
It is just flat. There are great jogging paths along the river. It's a nice town. The road to Newport winds a lot, so it takes more time than you think to get there. There is plenty of natural beauty within an easy drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 01:29 PM

21 posts, read 64,888 times
I don't think that's correct it all--it's full of trees here and lovely little hikes right in town. I have been traveling around OR myself recently and have come to realize how nice Corvallis actually IS compared to other towns. It is surrounded (outside of town) by farmland, but not FLAT farmland--it's hilly in this area, and Mary's Peak is right here. I have lots of trees and a creek right outside of MY livingroom window, and I just rent a cheap duplex.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:03 PM

177 posts, read 581,201 times
Hmm ... are the trees that are there the big ones like we see everywhere else in Oregon?? I hope so; they're my favorite part! I can't find many pics or videos online to give me a good idea of it, but otherwise I think Corvallis is sounding more appealing to us based on things I read online about it!

Old 10-24-2009, 05:16 PM

398 posts, read 1,312,345 times
Melissa - here's some pics I found of Corvallis and the surrounding area:

Pictures of Corvallis, Oregon
Corvallis Photos - VirtualTourist.com - oh, but if you hit "next" too many times on this one you start getting into Disneyland or something. LOL!! Well, I'm sure you can tell when the scenery changes

You are not going to find a forest there or anything. I'm not dissing on Corvallis or anything but it's just kind of a flat farmlandish valley town. That doesn't mean it's not a nice town (it is!).

You can also virtually "drive" around the city on Google Maps Street View. Have you done that yet?

Old 10-24-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa E View Post
Hmm ... are the trees that are there the big ones like we see everywhere else in Oregon?? I hope so; they're my favorite part! I can't find many pics or videos online to give me a good idea of it, but otherwise I think Corvallis is sounding more appealing to us based on things I read online about it!

Yes there are many trees in Corvallis. I don't think there are any valley cities in Oregon that are devoid of large trees. It really is a nice city. They did a really nice job with their river improvement project and the running paths along there are wonderful.

You can also look at photos of Corvallis on Flickr.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malachai23 View Post
Melissa - here's some pics I found of Corvallis and the surrounding area:

Pictures of Corvallis, Oregon
Corvallis Photos - VirtualTourist.com - oh, but if you hit "next" too many times on this one you start getting into Disneyland or something. LOL!! Well, I'm sure you can tell when the scenery changes

You are not going to find a forest there or anything. I'm not dissing on Corvallis or anything but it's just kind of a flat farmlandish valley town. That doesn't mean it's not a nice town (it is!).

You can also virtually "drive" around the city on Google Maps Street View. Have you done that yet?
oh yea i forgot about trying google maps!

Old 10-24-2009, 05:50 PM

Oh thanks for the pics links, too =). I'll check out Flicker too Silverfall, thanks!

Old 10-24-2009, 06:55 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,305,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
When I lived in Corvallis, I knew a lot of families who worked in Albany but lived in Corvallis for the superior schools, livability and air quality. I didn't know anyone who did the reverse.
That's interesting. I have a friend who lives in Albany and commutes to Corvallis. She is a librarian at the university there. I always enjoyed my visits to her in Albany. We have gone on house tours (there are some beautiful old homes and interesting newer ones) and enjoyed one of the few Hungarian restaurants around. They also have a fantastic amateur theater for which my friend has performed in several great productions like the Sound of Music, The Music Man and Little Shop of Horrors.

She likes it there and it always appeared to me to be a nice little town.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
That's interesting. I have a friend who lives in Albany and commutes to Corvallis. She is a librarian at the university there. I always enjoyed my visits to her in Albany. We have gone on house tours (there are some beautiful old homes and interesting newer ones) and enjoyed one of the few Hungarian restaurants around. They also have a fantastic amateur theater for which my friend has performed in several great productions like the Sound of Music, The Music Man and Little Shop of Horrors.

She likes it there and it always appeared to me to be a nice little town.
Albany has changed A LOT in the past few years. If people haven't been there in the past 5 years, they may not realize how much the city has changed.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:11 PM

378 posts, read 1,564,664 times
Sadly, I just heard that the paper mill near Albany is closing. That will have an impact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon