Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2009, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 13,701 times

Advertisements

HI! We will be relocating to that area, my husband, myself and young children..

What are the pros/ cons of each area? What would you recommend- or is there an outlying area that we should also consider??

Any information or Thoughts would be VERY helpful! Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 12:02 PM

398 posts, read 1,317,503 times
Hi Scrapaddict, welcome in advance to Oregon! I am not currently living in Oregon but returning soon. I lived in and around Portland for many years. Hood River is a great little town, in my opinion. I love it! I'm actually considering a commute from there to Troutdale, but a little concerned about the ice that tends to make I-84 a bit difficult sometimes in the winter.

Hood River is much larger than White Salmon, so you will have many, many more ammenities in your "backyard" if you lived in Hood River. But the ammenities would merely be "across the street (river!)" if you lived in White Salmon. But keep in mind that the bridge that connects the two is a toll bridge. The last time I drove over it it was only a one-way toll - I'm not sure if they have changed that or not at this point. It is an OLD narrow bridge though. I do know people who fear it. But I'm assuming you have no bridge phobias

I think size is the biggest difference. You will have more tourists milling about and more traffic in Hood River. They both have similar demographics, I believe, and little to no crime. And both are full of outdoorsy types and gorgeous scenery.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:37 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
I think malachai has pointed out the most important aspects of each town. I'm another lover of Hood River, so that'd be my personal choice.

There're lower taxes in Washington aren't there, m? And no personal income tax. You could do your shopping in Oregon, which has no sales tax.

You might even be able to snap up a home with a River view in WS if you're lucky. Add another 20K to that if you're in Hood River (just swag-ing it~)

Old 10-31-2009, 02:44 PM

398 posts, read 1,317,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
I think malachai has pointed out the most important aspects of each town. I'm another lover of Hood River, so that'd be my personal choice.

There're lower taxes in Washington aren't there, m? And no personal income tax. You could do your shopping in Oregon, which has no sales tax.

You might even be able to snap up a home with a River view in WS if you're lucky. Add another 20K to that if you're in Hood River (just swag-ing it~)
hmmm. Actually, I forgot about the taxes. I'm not sure about property taxes but I *think* they are lower on the WA side. However, OP, they do have sales tax in WA, whereas OR does not have any. But I'm assuming if you lived in White Salmon you would be doing most if not all of your shopping in Hood River so that wouldn't make any difference in your situation. Felina is correct - no personal income tax in WA. BUT... you will still get personal income tax taken out of your paycheck by the State of Oregon if you work in Oregon, even if you live on the WA side. I think Felina is also correct about housing prices being a tad less in White Salmon as opposed to Hood River. Probably not *much* cheaper though - it's a highly sought out area for people with substantial reserves set aside for those river views.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:36 AM

2 posts, read 13,701 times
We heard that property taxes are quite high in OR too- is that correct? Does anyone know anything about the school system in Hood River vs White Salmon?

Old 11-03-2009, 07:28 AM

33 posts, read 155,241 times
I am jealous of you.. I cannot afford to buy, only rent.. Finding a long term rental in either of those towns is next to impossible.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:58 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,064 times
We were at one point considering the White Salmon area for a retirement location. Question about the general area: How bad is the wind in the area, and how far inland do you have to go to have it be a non-factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon